Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back with a Bullfrog

Default Back with a Bullfrog

Heyo! Its been a while fellow froggers! Im back in the mainland and picked up a baby African Bullfrog. Introducing Treehouse the Frog! Munching on small crickets, have nightcawlers on standby soon as he is eating from tongs. Currently in a 12x12x18. I have a 12x12x12 but my gecko is in it. Ill be doing an enclosure swap this weekend. Tree house is hooked up to a reptifogger/hygrotherm. Anyways heres a couple pics.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Back with a Bullfrog

And a couple more.

5. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

So..SuperUltraCute...when they are tiny.

Alright, got the enclosures swapped out. Ima do the trouble questions just to make sure everything is spot on. I havent had a frog in three years, so Ima little rusty.

1. Size of enclosure? 12x12x12 exo-terra with hygrotherm amd reptifogger.

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences? 1

3. Humidity? Around 80 percent give or take with two or three manual mists a day to keep top layer od substrate moist.

4. Temperature? 82-84 day, 77-79 night

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish? Dechlorinated spring water. Destilled for the reptifogger.

6. Materials used for substrate? Plantation soil.

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv? Water dish and fake leafy tree thing. Three sides covered.

8. Main food source? Small crickets the width of head. Soon as tong trained nightcrawlers. Not sure the size, maybe half body length.

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often?) As a baby calvium d3 daily? Vitamins once a week? Also I dont remember using vit d3 last time I had frogs. Someone please explain.

10. Lighting? Halogen day light. 50w.

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure? Ceramic heat emitter 60w. Day light.

12. When is the last time he/she ate? Jist now. Calcium dusted crickets. About 10 then burrowed into the substrate.

13. Have you found poop lately? Not yet.

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) Pic at the bottom.

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. A bit skittish compared to what I'm used to.

16. How old is the frog? A little bigger than a quarter.

17. How long have you owned him/her? 2 days.

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred? Captive.

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats? Just dusted crickets. Have nightcrawlers, going to try them tomorrow.

20. How often the frog is handled? Just once to move to smaller enclosure.

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area? Extra low

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) cleaning will be monthly to 3 weeks depending. Daily water change.

Should be it. Please let me know if I need to make adjustments. Thanks!

Todays pic!

9. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I would ditch fogger or only use it at night. It prevents humidity gradients during the day and a lot of frogs can surpringly suffer from being kept too wet. Mind that although these frogs are active at the rain season, there's still days without rain and its quite dry then. Mist twice day max too or it will fluctuate the temp too much unless the water is warm. Calcium and vitamin A & D3 supplementation at every feeding, without vitamin D3 calcium will not be absorbed. Night crawlers don't need dusted tho, I add them in with whatever dusted insects I feed. When you get to the mice feeding stage the mice just need calcium-D3. I think the 60W ceramic is a bit much for that tank size, a 40w would be better and keep in mind it can drop to 75F or so at night. Have fun, show is your frog in a few months when it's miracuously changed sized

11. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Ill turn the fogger down to go off at 50%rh. That should be good with two manual sprays and allow humidity varients. I havent been able to reach the needed day time temps without the ceramic heater/light combo. I have the heater over the water bowl at the moment. The light is on a 12 hour day/night timer, and the ceramic heater is attached to the hygrotherm so it only turns on when a temp boost is needed, and maintains the night temps well just by itself (though Ill probably lower the night temp by a degree or two). Treehouse is taking the nightcrawlers from tongs now so Ill probably only feed insects on dust days due to the worms turning into goo when dusted. I have calcium powder with d3, and herpivite for the vitamins. Ill be posting a pic a day or every other day to monitor growth. Thank you for the tips, they are always greatly appreciated.

13. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

It's best to use an oil-filled radiator in the room to bump up background temps rather than resorting to a lot of overhead heat to compensate with frogs, they don't really like it. I have to do this just now myself until summer comes round and it keeps the insects happy too.

Ill definatly look into one of those. I dont have a dedicated reptile room for Treehouse. He is currently on a nightstand in the bedroom due to it being the lowest traffic room. We only go in there to sleep, and check on him and the gecko. Was going to move him to the dresser once his enclosures get too big for the nightstand.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I have little in my frog room now, just yellow-belies and the bullfrog but unfortunately coming cold climate or having a cold room will need an oil-filled radiator or similar. a lot of the books that are written by breeders probably come from a warm climate or have heated rooms and don't really warn you about this (though i do have a few that do)

Ill check them out. Did some googling and they arnt that expensive.

Todays Pic. Eating nightcrawler chunck from tongs. Been finding poop daily, sometimes twice a day.

19. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

Another begging for more food.

21. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

Doubled in size........ish...

23. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

When do these guys start working on their calls? My wife said she heard like a broken squeeky moo last night night. Treehouse is golfball size, maybe a little bigger at the moment. Still munchin on nightcrawlers, and dubias daily.

Him being a weirdo.

26. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post

When do these guys start working on their calls? My wife said she heard like a broken squeeky moo last night night. Treehouse is golfball size, maybe a little bigger at the moment. Still munchin on nightcrawlers, and dubias daily.

Not gonna lie though, kinda wanted a female.

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Not gonna lie though, kinda wanting a female.

Last nights pic.

Worm time!

https://youtu.be/CgnbVECzr68

31. This member thanks danfrog for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information