Thread: Is there anything that can be housed with FBTs besides other FBTs?

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Is there anything that can be housed with FBTs besides other FBTs?

I recently moved my FBT into a 45 gallon tank due to his old 10 gallon one breaking, and I wanted to know if there's anything else that could live with him in there such as reptiles, amphibians or aquatic things (not fish). Something that climbs to inhabit the top part of the tank would be ideal.

I got him at Petsmart when I was 8 (now 16) and they said the ones they sell weren't poisonous, although I don't know if what they say can be trusted.

I am planning on getting more FBTs though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is there anything that can be housed with FBTs besides other FBTs?

These frogs are mildly poisonous. I believe that it's poison dart frogs that pick up their poison via a natural diet and thus have no poison in captivity. Maybe the petsmart employee was thinking about one of those sorts of frogs.

I am sensitive to FBT toxins such that I either need to wear gloves when touching the water of my tank, or I need to wash my hand immediately. Or my fingers will dry, crack and bleed, very painful for 24 hours. So, I do think they exude some sort of poison.

The general consensus is that these frogs are too poisonous to share a habitat with anything but their own species.
    That said, I have a handful of 'mosquito fish' that came from a outside pond; the city gives them out for mosquito abatement. They are super hardy and all six of them have thrived so far. They are non-descript small gray fish.
    I am going to push my luck. I ordered a few shrimp to help clean up the bottom of this tank.

Expect anything you put in an FBT tank that is not an FBT to sicken and die.

4. This member thanks alane for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is there anything that can be housed with FBTs besides other FBTs?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrendra View Post
    they said the ones they sell weren't poisonous, although I don't know if what they say can be trusted.
    They are poisonous. Your person from petsmart likely meant that they are not poisonous to humans. Not in the fatal sense of the word anyway. How poison they are to other amphibians and other animals varies most likely, but I've never seen it discussed with any details or examples.

As alane mentioned, their poison only causes a skin rash of varying severity in humans.

Care sheets that mention it do say not to mix species. If you do, it's your own experiment. I myself will not mix them with anything else that I want to keep. However, fish, shrimps and other things you may want to add to the water or land as feeders or cleaners are fine unless you develop attachments to them.

Thread Information