Thread: What is the trick to tong feeding?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default What is the trick to tong feeding?

I've got some "Pac Attack" food pellets. So far, only my cat has shown interest in this food.

I've tried rubbing his lips with the pellet of food. For twenty minutes. He'll either wipe it away with his foot or move away entirely. This is the primary suggestion and i've tried it, maybe six times in all. Six twenty minute frustration sessions. I'm afraid I may be teaching him to hate the food this way.
    Tried pretending like it's a cricket approaching. No response. We know what crickets look like.

Frog is apparently way, way too smart for that kind of stuff.

So, i've stopped feeding entirely for a few days to see if a hungry frog helps at all.
    Maybe hunger will help.

What other things might I do to try and get him to show interest in a food pellet?

Seems like the frog is insists that his food be alive and moving.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the trick to tong feeding?

Well, i'll keep trying tongs each time I feed my frog. After two days he was hungry, but not for a pellet. He wanted to hunt 3 large crickets, thank you. *blurp*

Quote Originally Posted by alane View Post
    I've got some "Pac Attack" food pellets. So far, only my cat has shown interest in this food.

I've tried rubbing his lips with the pellet of food. For twenty minutes. He'll either wipe it away with his foot or move away entirely. This is the primary suggestion and i've tried it, maybe six times in all. Six twenty minute frustration sessions. I'm afraid I may be teaching him to hate the food this way.
    Tried pretending like it's a cricket approaching. No response. We know what crickets look like.

Frog is apparently way, way too smart for that kind of stuff.

So, i've stopped feeding entirely for a few days to see if a hungry frog helps at all.
    Maybe hunger will help.

What other things might I do to try and get him to show interest in a food pellet?

Seems like the frog is insists that his food be alive and moving.

I feed my ornate these pellets. For me the trick was to start him off young. I started tong feeding him the pellets as soon as I bought him when he was a baby so he would get used
    to it. Seemed to work good. My other frog I started feeding him with tongs half way through the time I had him.

Both now wont eat on their own for whatever reason. My big frog wont take the pellets anymore. My ornate still takes the pellets but it takes a lot of rubbing under his lips to get him to go for it.

Not sure what to suggest if the frog is not young, as that is the best time to start training them. You could try to crush up the pellets a bit and coat crickets with them, that way he knows the taste and smell of the food and might be more inclined to eat the pellet.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just watched the video for "tong feeding 102":
    Tong Feeding 102 - YouTube

So, after watching this video, I figure I am not annoying my frog enough.

Which seems like a terrible way to feed...via aggravation.

It's so much more fun to wait until the frog is hungry, then watch it hunt crickets.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Success:

This evening, I was watching my frog after the bathtime routine. It started shedding. Part of the shedding behavior is to open and close its mouth.
    When its mouth was open, I slipped in a pellet. Frog clamped down. Over the next minute, the frog worked the pellet down as well as continuing its shedding behavior. Little froggy gulped the whole thing down.
    A whole pellet is clearly visible in my frog's right side; a pellet shaped distended stomach.
    I suppose it will not be a little frog for long.

So, although the frog did not strike out hungrily at the pellet, I was able to get the frog to eat it. I suppose one of those pellets is worth lots and lots of crickets of nutrition.
    Zero frog annoyance required, but I did have to wait for the right moment.

7. This member thanks alane for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Did it again last night. Quick and easy.

I've never heard of "wait for it to shed" as an advice as to how to feed pellets to a frog.

But that's how i've managed to feed my frog pellets.

Last night, whilst he was shedding, he ate another whole pellet. I only managed to get the very tip in his mouth, yet he swallowed it without any rejection. And I offered another half pellet which he ate a little bit of and rejected the rest. Then he looked _FULL_. Full body epic swallow. They are stretchy little things, these frogs.

It seems sort of strange to blend shedding behavior with feeding behavior. But i'm very glad to be able to feed him pellets without any fuss or irritation. Just waiting on my part.

My frog is not quite two inches snout-to-vent. I look forward to the next weigh-in.

I wish he was more active, but I fear that there is very little I can do about that. If I want to see froggy activity, i'll go watch my FBT tank.

Thread Information