Thread: Help identifying specie of leopard frog

Default Help identifying specie of leopard frog

I posted on here ages ago about a then-newly morphed frog, 6 months, maybe. Thankfully they seem to be doing very well, as they have gotten much bigger in the passing months.

I would like help identifying them. This is the most recent photo I have of them from about a month ago. ( I know its small, my phone is acting up)

I'm sure I know it's a kind of leopard frog, but I wanted to know if anyone could tell me what kind specifically. I hope to be moving in a number of months and thought it would be the perfect time to either update their set up or maybe move them to a larger tank.
    If you need a better picture of their body/back, let me know. I'm going to be cleaning some things up in the tank today so I'm going to be corralling them into a small critter keeper for a bit

Edit: was digging through my phone and found this picture from about 3 months ago

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help identifying specie of leopard frog

I am fairly certain this is a Southern Leopard frog and most likely the Florida subspecies (http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Fiel...a-Leopard-Frog). The snout is too long and pointy to be a Northern Leopard frog.

Quote Originally Posted by herpdoc View Post
    I am fairly certain this is a Southern Leopard frog and most likely the Florida subspecies (http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Fiel...a-Leopard-Frog). The snout is too long and pointy to be a Northern Leopard frog.
    Thank you very much!
    I spent most of my wee life catching the northern variety, and I was mostly sure it wasn't one of those (at least I certainly didn't look like the kind found in SE South Dakota. I got this one as a tadpole from work because of some odds and ends the supplier will send us, so other than 'not a bullfrog' I had nothing to go on.
    I've also heard Southern Leopards tend to be more shy. Is this true?
    But again, thanks! I can use this information to make sure I'm doing my best to match what they would have in the wild. I hope to be getting a 40 gallon in a few months and moving them in there. They're in a 20g long half and half tank currently, seems to be doing very well.

Southern leopards tend to be very shy, much more so than Northern leopards. My Northern leopard frogs watch me work at the desk and don't flinch even when I clean the tank but when I had southern leopard frogs, they would immediately start hopping when I entered the room and hide under the moss. The only time I've seen leopard frogs look like yours is when the local petshop (who gets their fish from breeders in Florida) happens to get a few of them in their fish stock; they look exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by herpdoc View Post
    Southern leopards tend to be very shy, much more so than Northern leopards. My Northern leopard frogs watch me work at the desk and don't flinch even when I clean the tank but when I had southern leopard frogs, they would immediately start hopping when I entered the room and hide under the moss. The only time I've seen leopard frogs look like yours is when the local petshop (who gets their fish from breeders in Florida) happens to get a few of them in their fish stock; they look exactly the same.
    Froggo is shy, but I think they've gotten better. I'm kinda surprised I was able to get the first shot without them hopping for cover.
    And I'm not sure where our supplier is from, but it would make total sense if it was indeed from some where in Florida. I wonder if that means the crayfish I have in his own tank is a southern specie; I'm the guy who will willingly take any free critter home if we can't sell them at the store and I have room for them.
    Not so worried about the crayfish though, he's a riot to watch (he's terrified of the guppies he is supposed to eat!) and has been molting regularly. So I know i'm doing right by him.

Thread Information