Thread: Help Red Eyed Tree Frogs Stopped Eating

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Help Red Eyed Tree Frogs Stopped Eating

I'm not sure what's up with my two frogs. They've been eating super well, 2 to 3 times a week for the last 6 months or so (I got them in July). For the last couple weeks they've been hardly eating at all. I gave them 5 crickets the night before last, and they didn't touch them. I offered them 3 crickets about a week ago, and they only ate 1. Their cage temperature is at a steady 72.5 degrees, and has been for quite a while. I mist them twice a day with RO water, and they always have water available to them. They're still very active at night, soaking in their bowl, and behaving normally otherwise.

They live in a 18x18x24 exo terra, with eco earth and jungle bark bedding (mostly eco earth). I use a 45watt ceramic heat bulb 24 hours a day, and a heat mat on one side of the tank as needed. I don't currently have any live plants in the enclosure, as I have a Biopod on order for them, which will be their permanent enclosure.
    I have lights in the enclosure running for 12 hours every day, with a UVB100 bulb and a regular day time bulb.
    I've trained them to eat their crickets out of a feeding dish. I've been feeding 4 week old crickets, dusted with Repashy Low D Calcium every time. They're usually very enthusiastic eaters, and will wait by the dish on feeding days.
    I'm not exactly sure on their age. I was told they were around 9 months old when I got them. They were being cared for horribly by the woman I got them from (crickets too large, flooded enclosure, mould growing, etc), but were looking really good and growing once I got them sorted out and eating regularly.
    I'm not seeing any redness of the legs or belly, and no other visible skin problems.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help Red Eyed Tree Frogs Stopped Eating

Everything sounds right, but the daytime temperature should ideally be 78-82F. Usually a 45W ceramic would do the job in that size tank, so your room must be too cold. The only way is to raise the room temp into the 70sF with a portable space heater rather than using a higher wattage bulb, as that is not recommended for frogs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Having said that, in a year or so when your frogs are older you can then start cooling them in winter, they will not need much food then. But younger frogs are best kept at warm temps year round.

Upps, sorry i posted this reply about how you should dust them whit calcium, didn't read the whole post, sols I couldn't delete it so i edited it

6. This member thanks NEONblue for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

The OP is already dusting with Ca with low D3. It's always important to use a full spectrum supplement with all vitamins and trace elements, though. Repashy Calcium Plus LoD is good for treefrogs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Okay, so I got a space heater last night, and put it in the corner of the room where the frogs are. The temp is almost up to 74 in the tank now. 3 crickets have disappeared from the feeding dish since last night, so I'm assuming one or both of them have eaten

9. This member thanks Justine27 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Update: It's been a few days since I added the space heater. The daytime temp is now up to 75.6 degrees, and night time temp drops down to 73.8 degrees (I'm guessing because the lights give off some heat). I fed them 5 crickets again last night, and they ate them all except for one that got out and drowned. Thank you everyone for your help!!!!

11. This member thanks Justine27 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm glad it worked!

Thread Information