Thread: Whites not eating

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Whites not eating

Hello there! I have a WTF that is refusing to eat and i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

Unfortunately about 2 months ago we started our stove (we have wood heat), and the tanks humidity plummeted overnight. It was the first time I'd experienced that issue. I ended up losing my 5y/o WTF the following day, but my 4y/o, Norman, survived. Since then I've stabilized the humidity, goes no lower than 40, no higher then 70, but fluctuates within that during the day. He has access to a clean water pool/dish 24/7. Temp is 80 during the day, a few degrees cooler at night, and has a 12/12 day night cycle going on. Norman bounced back rather quickly and well, eating fine etc, so I decided to add another tank mate. Quarantine lasted two weeks, both were healthy. About a week after adding the new frog, Norman went from his normally bright green self to shades of brown, and refused to eat. He soaks a lot, so I decided to try both a honey bath and an electrolyte bath, separate nights. I'm getting ready to separate him again to see if he's pooping, but he hasn't eaten in about 10 days, so I'm not entirely sure that's necessary. Should I be worrying(there are not exotic vets willing to see him where i am) or may he just be adjusting to his new friend? Norman is bigger, so no threat of being eaten, and the other is big enough that Norman can't eat him either. I've tried holding the crickets in front of his face, touching his mouth with them, but he tucks his face away so I can't try again, and he has no interest in chasing anything. He does get around fine, hops, walks etc, I just can't tell if its stress or internal damage from being too dry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites not eating

That's tricky, I'm sorry. It sounds like stress or else a fungal problem (the excess soaking, but then that could be because of the lack of humidity.) The honey bath could have stimulated his activity and appetite but it doesn't sound like it did.
    I'd try removing the new frog for a while just in case. If you have any access to wax worms you might try tempting him with them. If he actually eats one he might find he likes them. You might try leaving a bowl of crickets or other insects in the tank overnight for a while.
    If things get bad enough you might try opening his mouth with a credit card and force feeding but that's going to increase his stress a lot so I only recommend that as a last resort.

Does Norman have any discolored spot on his skin? How does his stool look? If you are sure that the newly introduced frog didn't carry any disease and infect Norman, then it's probably a stress from having a new roomate. My frog also turns brownish if he is uncomfortable & stressed out. I agree with elly, remove the new frog for a while and see if Norman comes back to his normal condition. Also, try bowl-feeding method and check if he has eaten & pooped.

Nationality
    [United States]

Norman hasn't produced any stool as he hasn't eaten, he also looked ks completely free of any blemishes. He's starting to move around a lot more, and he's not always so brown.. I'm giving him till the weekend to eat before I force anything on him. I've been putting him in a feed tank but I go over after awhile and the crickets are just sitting on his head �� Picking up wax worms today hopefully

6. This member thanks lovelydaemon for this post:

Thread Information