Thread: Gray Tree Frog Died, Trying To Figure Out What Happened

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Gray Tree Frog Died, Trying To Figure Out What Happened

Hi. My GTF Veronica died four days ago and I feel responsible. I took her in from my back yard. She would show up almost every night on my back patio. I put spring water out for her each night and ended up having three tree frogs regularly visit. She was the smallest and only had one eye. This went on all summer. Late fall, she appeared to be starving. I bought crickets for her and would bowl feed her and release her. I ended up buying an ExoTerr small tall habitat and bringing her inside. I didn't keep her habitat clean properly and she got a bacterial infection. Took her to an exotics vet and she was treated with Baytril for 5 days and appeared to be doing great (didn't realize what I was doing wrong until vet explained how to take care of her - followed his instructions after she got sick).

Three days after stopping the Baytril (per the vet's instruction), I fed her six crickets dusted with vitamins and calcium (mixed the two powders in a baggie and dusted - had been doing this for weeks). She had been eating every other day fine with no issue. This night, she caught a cricket and then discarded it. It was as if it tasted bad or hurt her tongue. She injured all six crickets this way and didn't want them so I euthanized them. I gave her 4 more crickets undusted and had the same result. Same thing with undusted crickets the next night. Contacted the vet and he recommended trying to feed her again that third night and bringing her in the next day. I checked on her before I fed her that night and she had died. I'm just trying to understand what happened because I thought she was doing well. Maybe it was the stress of the illness and cleaning her "hospital habitat" every night. But I don't understand how that caused the issue with her tongue. Here are links to two videos I took of her for the vet: https://youtu.be/neUzGVP0mDY and https://youtu.be/bYYQ8yjxa0o

I'm just wondering if any of you have seen this type of behavior before. Just want to understand what might have happened to my sweet little frog. She was a character and I really miss her.

Thanks for any thoughts. The vet thought it might have been a response to the dusted crickets but she'd had them dusted twice a week. And it was the same batch of crickets she'd been eating from. Just trying to make sense of what I did wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog Died, Trying To Figure Out What Happened

I've noticed that being on antibiotics can sometimes cause frogs appetite loss. Do you know the temp and humidity? Was the spring water bottled? Some bottled water brands can have levels of chlorine safe for humans but not for frogs, I've read. Dechlorination solution is generally needed.

When frogs have tongue problems I tend to think Vitamin A deficiency but you'd been giving supplements, so it's probably not that.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you got her to a vet. It sounds like you really did your best. (Also I am not a vet, take my advice with a grain of salt.)

Thread Information