Thread: Pool frog (pelophylax lessonae) temperature range

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Pool frog (pelophylax lessonae) temperature range

Hi, I have two pool frogs I keep indoors at room temp, but I noticed that one of them will climb to the highest point he can under the sun lamp I installed, it looks pretty comical considering how bulky and un-tree-frog-like pool frogs look. Just to test I tried hanging a 40 watt ceramic heater about 10cm above the highest point in the tank and lo and behold he started preferring that spot too. My other pool frog has normal colouration, eats enough etc. but spends most of his time in the unheated water.

I want to encourage him to bask (is that what's happening? I know bombina orientalis and african bullfrogs will do it if given the opportunity but I thought it was pretty rare for amphibians, especially northern european ones) since he's very visible and he seems to have lost any nervousness around me but I don't want to dry him out, is a 28-30 degrees C basking spot going to be safe in the long term? It just seems so much higher than what they'd encounter in the wild but my frog definitely seems to prefer the ceramic lamp over the sun lamps that only raise the air a couple degrees right underneath them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Pool frog (pelophylax lessonae) temperature range

I don't think it's inconceivable that they want to bask. I've never had pool frogs or European ranids for that matter but it seems that the green frogs (L clamitans) who would visit my pond seem to enjoy sitting on the rocks to bask, even though it was warm outside. I can't comment on basking lamps since I only use fluorescent or LED light fixtures and nothing that generates much heat.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pool frog (pelophylax lessonae) temperature range

I have found that many species of frogs and toads will bask under the lamp if given the opportunity. I keep a large Colorado river toad and it sits under a red heat lamp for several minutes really enjoying it as it shifts its body to capture the most heat possible. I recommend that natural lighting be provided according to the amphibian's photoperiod. At one time, I believed that amphibians did not require special lighting, that changed when I worked at a zoo as an amphibian keeper.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

5. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Thread Information