Thread: Meet Simon

Member needs to set country!

Default Prime conditions

I've bought an African bull frog just wondering what are the the best conditions to keep him for first 12-18 month wile he dose most of his growing.

whats idea set up
    ideal temperature
    how often to feed him

please advise on optimum condishions. I want to give him best life I possibly can.
    at the moment he is in substrate coco fibre. I have to dig him out every day to feed him
    hes size of a golf ball
    Last edited by Rabbit229; November 19th, 2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: could not up load pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Prime conditions

75 views wow 0 replys
    so from what I gather is keep him at 75 in a bucket of damp coco. Dig him out every day feed him and put him in a bad tub of room temp water for an hour so he can take a ****

Nationality
    [Canada]

1. A lot of views on the threads aren't from members, so they can't reply.
    2. Your spelling and question formulation is very poor, making it difficult to understand on what it is that you specifically want.
    3. Your questions can be easily answered with a simple google search, did you do any research before buying this frog?

Set him up with enough coco fibre so he can cover himself, give him a water bowl with fresh DECHLORINATED water changed daily
    keep him between 80 85 F day time 75ish during the night is fine, lots of people like the place the light over the water dish

Feed him as often as he eats, every few days when juvenile,

5. This member thanks blinktwice for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by blinktwice View Post
    1. A lot of views on the threads aren't from members, so they can't reply.
    2. Your spelling and question formulation is very poor, making it difficult to understand on what it is that you specifically want.
    3. Your questions can be easily answered with a simple google search, did you do any research before buying this frog?

Set him up with enough coco fibre so he can cover himself, give him a water bowl with fresh DECHLORINATED water changed daily
    keep him between 80 85 F day time 75ish during the night is fine, lots of people like the place the light over the water dish

Feed him as often as he eats, every few days when juvenile,
    Yeahhhh i got a reply
    i thought forums are the best place rather than taking advice of the Internet. It contradicts its self in differant article.
    i know the basics, just wanted to know how the breeders and professional ppl house them.
    ive read on the internet that they need uvb and others say I don't?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Books are the best source of info. The most in depth on these frogs is African bullfrogs: natural history and captive Husbandry by de Vosjoli and mailloux, which has recently came available only on kindle, but you can download the app on the phone. There are loads of books focused on general care of frogs and have short sections on African bullfrogs. Favourite of mine is the proper care of Amphibians by john coborn, should find it on Amazon cheap.

They do not need it to do well in captivity. They can be fed whole vertebrates and supplemented insects. UVB could be of benefinit as a back up system if you accidentally under supplement with D3 and mine has spent time under a UVB light, but the majority are not given UVB and do well. They will need a day and night cycle from a daytime heat lamp or fluorescent light

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Books are the best source of info. The most in depth on these frogs is African bullfrogs: natural history and captive Husbandry by de Vosjoli and mailloux, which has recently came available only on kindle, but you can download the app on the phone. There are loads of books focused on general care of frogs and have short sections on African bullfrogs. Favourite of mine is the proper care of Amphibians by john coborn, should find it on Amazon cheap.

They do not need it to do well in captivity. They can be fed whole vertebrates and supplemented insects. UVB could be of benefinit as a back up system if you accidentally under supplement with D3 and mine has spent time under a UVB light, but the majority are not given UVB and do well. They will need a day and night cycle from a daytime heat lamp or fluorescent light
    ill have a look for that book. Thank you
    ive been feeding him pinky mice roches and crickets but not been giving him vitamins?

will it not piss him off digging him up every other day to feed him? He has started to grunt at me!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Pink mice need be dipped in calcium D3 and the insects with a calcium and multivitamin supplement, otherwise the frog will radpiy develop metabolic bone disease.

Yes, but under proper conditions it should not happen or the frog will be out at night

Thread Information