Thread: Hello Frog Forum!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Hello Frog Forum!

I have been a part of this forum for around two years now and I have learned so much in these past two years. My favorite frogs and toads are the ones I own (American Toads, White's Tree Frogs, Northern Leopard Frogs) which I have also learned more about just being open to advice and testing along caring for the animals the way that I specifically do. I currently have three enclosures. One that is currently a thread is my 55 Gallon Australia Paludarium. This has a long way to be completed through my design. I have a sexed pair of healthy White's Tree Frogs who are both in the age range of two years.

I spent years owning both species and 2 years researching the requirements for both the American Toad and Northern Leopard Frog. These are both species I would see in my pond in the back yard side by side at breeding season. I owned them several years alone and never thought to build a vivarium to support both. I was out of the hobby many years from the death of my last toad in 2009 I started to have more and more interest with working at a landscaping nursery seeing so much of the native PA ecosystem and interacting with it in the work place. This was where I would get the idea that would be the other two Vivariums I currently own. I previously owned American Toad and Northern Leopard Frogs; I started to ponder the idea of bringing them together, so I started in 2012 researching for two years both species and asking questions. I decided to go ahead with the idea but I figured if I was risking putting them together and spending years of time as well as thousands of dollars, I might as well do it the best way.
    So in 2014 I decided to build a one of a kind Vivarium that would resemble the environment in a PA woods. I chose perennials from the nursery I worked at that I believed had the best chance of survival in this attempted woods style vivarium. I collected woodlice and earthworms as well as analyzing everything essential to create something like this. I believe this 75 Gallon Vivarium has so much scientific discovery with the success of the entire ecosystem. If I would not have decided to build this, I would not be a part of frog forum. This was the main reason I joined this forum, to get more questions answered before trying it, and to make a thread and tell the results straight up how they actually happened. I've had more success with this build than I could have ever imagined. Not only does it accurately give a close look in to the behavior of both species of amphibians, the insects thrive as well. I had a small colony of crickets get to 6 generations without being eaten completely! A wild wood cricket I introduced mated with a pet shop cricket and created the coolest hybrid cricket! Dragon flies hatched, fish that came in as eggs on a water plant lived in the water at one point, and this is just some of the results.
    You can see this build from the months leading up, to recent updates here:

75 Gallon Vivarium build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

collectively due to various reasons, my newest tank is a 30 Gallon heavy planted Vivarium with a Northern Leopard Frog who has a cognitive injury (thanks USPS) with a rescued American Toad. I enjoy each tank, as they have a different aspect of nature, but I am glad that I have a place to come to share these builds with. I enjoy the great discussions and the advice while trying to help out with giving some from time to time. I hope to have given you something interesting to read! I have a YouTube channel as well! I hope you check my profile and YouTube out! I will answer any questions asked as well! [emoji3]

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...rF7_8wlUP1nmtx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello Frog Forum!

Here is the Documentary of the 75 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium! Please check this out. It has everything this thread is about in this video.

https://youtu.be/fwFoQPKryo0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information