Thread: Possibly sick common toadlet?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Possibly sick common toadlet?

My newest toad just started a strange behavior yesterday and I'm worried.
    I noticed him wiping at his face and opening his mouth, so I thought he was shedding. After it persisted for a few hours I placed him in a bath thinking maybe he had stuck shed, but its still persisting.
    He moves about, digs, climbs and shows interest in food still, but he's hesitant to actually eat today. His breathing seems a little abnormally paced compared to usual, and once every few minutes or so he makes a little popping sound when he opens his mouth, like he does when he has some eco earth in it. I did take him out to check and I can't see anything stuck, so I'm worried it may be a respiratory issue.

Earlier this week my heating shut off unexpectedly in the middle of the night, and while I set up a space heater as soon as I realized I'm worried that it may've gotten him sick. Has anyone else seen this? It also may be my imagination, but near his nostrils looks a little swollen to me? He's growing so fast it's hard to tell if it's just a new quirk, sometimes. I'll post photos shortly!

1----what 'kind' of frog is it: common toad/american toad
    2----please include a photo of the frog: see above
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure: See above
    4----size of enclosure: standard 10 gallon
    5----# on inhabitants: 1
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate: No
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined: No
    8----what is the typical humidity level: 30s-40s
    9----what temperature is maintained: 55-60
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: desk lamp, overall room temp itself
    11---describe the enclosure lighting: sunny window, desk lamp over half the tank
    12---describe enclosure maintenance: Eco earth turned over/remixed regularly to keep it damp but not wet, changed out entirely if it starts to smell stale/musty, water dish rinsed and refilled once a week or so, heavily misted twice a month to simulate rain, or misted if the soil seems dry. decor moved about to encourage activity once every few months
    13---what kind of water is used: Usually tap water distilled outdoors in sun for 1-2 days, (no chloramines) occasionally dechlorinated, rarely bottled
    -----for misting same
    -----for the frog's soaking dish same
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand API dechlorinator without stress coat/additives
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific: Eco Earth brick, distilled water to expand. sheets of moss in some areas (he likes to sleep in it, fluffy i guess)
    15---enclosure set up: 10gal with 3 large hides, smooth wood for climbing, moss, plant coverage, 2 inch substrate for digging
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned - No recent deep cleaning, just some new EcoEarth and rearranged decor
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric: All artificial, plastic/silk
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials:sections of cut wood from my tree pruning, stripped of bark. Clay pot hide, natural rocks, ceramic water dish
    16---when is the last time the frog ate: Day before last, 3 large calciworms
    17---have you found poop lately: yes
    18---how often is the frog fed: Offered every 1-2 days
    19---what size feeder is given: whatever he can easily swallow/between his eyes measurement
    20---what other feeders are used as treats: wax worms
    21---what is the frog's main food source: calciworms, mealworms, sometimes small dusted crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl : 2-3 crickets at a time roam, worms in dish or fed by hand
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often: Just started adding these to cricket cage
    24---calcium - what brand and how often: Whatever is used by Petland when crickets are purchased
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time: no
    26---approximate age of the frog: around 6 months, first winter
    27---how long have you owned the frog: 5 months
    28---who cared for the frog before you: wild
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred; wild
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves): Not often, usually when moving him, with clean hands but no gloves
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: my bedroom, low
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no): has only been kept alone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Possibly sick common toadlet?

It keeps saying my images aren't 'valid files' so I'm just gonna post urls

This is him 3 days or so ago, when he was acting normally:
    http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...psugguqwr9.jpg

This is him now, and you can see the swelling near his nostrils:
    http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Ma...8gh1k.jpg.html

I also uploaded a video so you guys can see his breathing/how he's opening his mouth.

Every once in awhile he wipes at his face like he does when there's water on it.

Because of the swollen nostrils I keep panicking about those 'toad flies', but while we sometimes get flies in the house because it's a rural house, I see him multiple times every day and I feel like I would've noticed fly eggs for sure, because I've had to remove them from other animals before. I don't know, I'm just really scared it's something I can't fix

Nationality
    [United States]

Just a quick update; It occurred to me that my own allergies and asthma have been abnormally terrible lately, and it made me wonder if maybe this is some sort of irritant that's causing a reaction? I don't hear any popping or labored sounds when he breathes, he just opens his mouth as if he can't get air through his nose easily. He's still being really active and alert.

Just in case it is some sort of contaminant that got into his tank, I removed him from it entirely and he's now in a sterilized critter keeper (about 3gal) with fresh substrate, a new dish, and his clay pot, which I scrubbed with hot water and dish soap. I raised the humidity to about 60% and misted him heavily/cleaned his nose with a wet Qtip before I placed him in it in hopes anything he got on him could be removed. (he's being as good a sport as you could hope for about this whole thing)
    In case it's something that's still present in my room, I covered the top of the critter keeper with a hand towel so I can vacuum everything and clean any air filters. It might be overkill but not knowing what it is makes me nervous, so I figure I'll cover my bases.

Nationality
    [United States]

There's still not much improvement, please if anyone knows anything I really need the help

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright there still hasn't been much change in his condition, but I've tried more things.
    The Melafix didn't appear to do anything, and I completed 7 days worth. The swelling continued to get larger, and I realized it was fluid so in an attempt to ease his breathing i pricked it with a hypodermic needle (clean from a pharmacy ofc) and when I applied gentle pressure with a qtip what appeared to be yellowish fluid or pus drained until it looked virtually normal again. I applied topical antibiotics and watched him, and while it hasn't swollen as large again it's still visibly swollen and he still paws at his face and opens his mouth as if it bothers him.
    I tried checking in his mouth and there's definitely nothing stuck in his throat or anyplace easily seen. He's eating a little, but his nose seems to bother him when he tries. He's still soaking regularly but his breathing gets worse when he's stressed.
    The only thing I can think of os a possible abscess caused by him biting something in the tank, that's located just under his nose in his mouth. It's nearly impossible to see but I can't think of anything else.
    Should I do another round of Melafix? Or should I try tetracycline oral, or a sulphate soak or something? I've never seen this and I'm really worried.

Thread Information