Thread: Need Advice ASAP

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need Advice ASAP

While I clean my pacman"s enclosures, I always put them into a smaller container with clean warm water. The container is clear, and because so many pacmans spend most of their time burrowed, I use this time to examine their bodies, and make sure they are still healthy.

Chomper, my favorite pac, I noticed has a wound, and a lump of sorts. I can not find an exotic vet that is willing to see a frog in my area. I have had success in treating a few of my other frogs when things have come up, so I am hoping for some sound advice on what to do in this case.

I keep his enclosure up to par with the standards here on the forum. The only thing that I can think of possibly happening was while tong feeding I dropped a superworm, and it went underneath Chomper. I left it assuming Chomper would notice and eat it. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...15360890_n.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Need Advice ASAP

Hi, ya that's a nice little cut. It could have been from something in the substrate like a little stick or something and he cut himself while while trying to bury. I once found a 5 inch piece of metal in a block of cocofibre once while expanding it, I actually put a picture of it on here. For the cut you could put some Neosporin on it but the question is will it heal with out stitch. The lump could be something has gotten in there or its getting infected. I have heard of people using tetracycline for bacterial infections and I actually had it recommended to me to use once but I ended up just going to the vet so I don't know how it will work. So if you can get your hands on some this ( I believe you can get it at the fish store ) you could give him a bath in this for maybe a half hr each day and apply the Neosporin on the wound after the bath. And maybe put him in a hospital tank with paper towels till you can tell if its getting better or thee wound has healed, this way he isn't getting any dirt or anything in there. There is a moderator named Lija that if you PM her she may be able to help you out with something else to use to help it heal faster, I'm not a hundred percent sure but I think she works in a vets office or has. And I imagine you already know but use the Neosporin without pain reliever. Sorry I couldn't of been more help and I hope he is able to heal ok for you. OH and nice name for the frog, I have an ornate with the same name. In my Bio for the forum its actually Chomper AKA Sharpteeth, my kids loved the land before time.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the quick reply! Land Before Time should always be a household favorite.

I was thinking about neosporin, but I was hesitant.

I was also thinking about 30 min soaks in API Turtle Fix? A friend on a social media account recommended it. Any ideas on how that would do?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would imagine it would do the same thing as the Tetracycline and its actually made for amphibians not fish so it may be better for him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I agree. I was just comparing the two to see the difference. I'm going to try these tonight. (these as in the API Turtle Fix and the neosporin)

Now, here's to hoping he doesn't get overly stressed during this. He is such a sensitive pacman, and I just moved. So he's been extra moody.

Nationality
    [United States]

I just figured I would do an update.

Chomper seems to be fine, other than the wound. He is still eating, and even pooping during a couple of the medicated soaks. The bump has gone down significantly. I am just keeping the wound as clean as possible. I was keeping him in a hospital tank, but I couldn't get the temps right in it, so I put him back into his regular home. I know this means I will just be paying extra attention to keeping it clean. He seems far more comfortable now as well. Before I felt like I could tell he was irritated. Here's to oping we are on the right path.

At this point, I believe he'll be just fine. So long as the wound will close soon.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cory you are right

how are things with Chomper right now?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey hows it going? Nice to see you around. Chomper and the gang are doing really good, After he got abit bigger the vet discovered that he had damaged his inner eyelid ( hope I said that right ) so he has a hard time shutting his eye when he completely goes underground and sometimes will get some stuff in there. When it does happen I just give him a bath and he will shed in there and after the skin comes off his eye is ok. Or I just use a eye dropper and some distilled water and clean it out with that. And always have a bottle of ciloxan 0.03% just in case, but since the mild infection as a baby I have been lucky and haven't had to use it. It doesn't effect him at all, hes a eating and pooping machine.

10. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lol and how is OP's Chomper? Gosh so many Chompers around. Lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

L.O.L I thought you were asking me, ya theres a lot Chompers and Jabbas. For the OP's Chomper I'm not sure she hasn't been on since her last post. Hopefully that cut has healed abit though and hes starting to get better.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys, Chomper still has the cut, but still eating and doing well. He has no behavior changes at all. The cut doesn't seem to bother him. I even have watched him when he is moving, and he moves just fine. He doesn't react like he is in pain when I put any bactine or neosporin on either. I am still watching it cautiously, because the cut is still there, and doesn't seem to be closing. I left him alone thru the weekend to just see how that helps with the healing. So tonight when I get him all cleaned up I'll have a better idea of what the cut actually looks like currently. I'm hoping leaving it be helped it close. If I remember I'll get an updated picture.

14. This member thanks mermaidheather for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, glad to hear hes still acting normal even though hes still got the cut. Hows the lump doing? If the cut doesn't start to heal you may have to bring him to get a stitch or 2.

Nationality
    [United States]

So I currently have him soaking, and he seems just fine. The bump is just about gone. The concerning part now is that where the bump was, there is now another cut. I'm starting to wonder if these were 2 ruptured cysts or something? They do appear to have a thin layer of skin over the top tho. Similar to the begining stages of a scab forming for us. He ate his monthly fuzzy just fine tonight too.

Nationality
    [Canada]

That is not a cut, its bacterial infection, the lump looks like an abscess that now has rubtured. He is still eating because an infection is still localized. You need to put him in a quarantine set up, on clean changed daily wet papertowels, with something hanging so he can hide under, all sided covered. Treatment - 2-3xday apply polisporin/neosporin or if you can get hold of flamazine, whatever that is without painkillers. It should get better within five days, if no better within 5 days you need a vet for systemic antibiotics.

18. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

So, just an update. He has made a full recovery. The open sores have closed, and he is happy again.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Glad to hear he made it through and was able to heal for you and become his old self.

21. This member thanks monster for this post:

Thread Information