Thread: WTF having trouble getting used to new home

Default WTF having trouble getting used to new home

I got a WTF 2 weeks ago, and to my knowledge he hasn't eaten at all (or possibly 1 cricket finally, today). He sits virtually motionless, for a few days on the glass, then a few days on a branch, then 2 full days in his water dish, and now he's been on the substrate for 3 days. I put crickets loose in his tank at first, but they didn't get eaten. I tried bowl feeding, but they didn't get eaten. I tried tweezer feeding, but he wouldn't eat.

This morning he seemed slightly more active (moving around a bit on the ground), so I put some fresh vitamin-dusted crickets loose in his cage along with a food source for them, and this afternoon I could only find one of them, and the frog had pooped, so hopefully he ate the cricket and it stimulated a bowel movement? (He hadn't pooped since the first night we got him.)

I know some frogs take time to adjust to their new environment -- is 2 weeks within a normal time range for this? His tank (an 12x12x18 Exo Terra with Eco Earth substrate) is always between 70 (at night) and 85 degrees with about 50% humidity, and is covered on 3 sides to reduce stress. He has a UVB light for 12 hours during the day, and has a dish of dechlorinated water available at all times. Is there anything else I can do to help him feel safe and comfy in his new home?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: WTF having trouble getting used to new home

It sounds like you're doing the right things. You might want to make it a little more humid, but 50% will do.
    Is it fairly quiet where the tank is? Usually these frogs have a big appetite and want to eat even when a little stressed, so that's unusual.
    It may not be possible to find a vet that sees frogs, but if he keeps on not eating for another week or longer it might be a good idea to get it checked out. (I wouldn't expect him to eat a lot in the next day since it sounds like he's just had a big meal, but after that he might.)

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

their humidity should fall between 30-50%. spikes of 60 are okay right after a misting as long as they come down i highly recommend you join this Facebook group and post this there https://www.facebook.com/groups/Whit...Frogs/?fref=nf

Update: I've still never seen the poor guy eat. I put crickets in, then pull them back out (dead) a few days later. I can tell he's getting into his water dish most nights because I see dirt in it, and he's pooping regularly. Would he be pooping if he weren't eating? Maybe I've miscounted the crickets and he is eating one here and there. He seems to just be sitting in the same spot (on the ground) day after day. He never climbs the glass or bamboo like gen used to. I got some wax worms to try tonight. What can I do to help him?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Maybe he is getting some crickets, but poor appetite isn't the greatest sign in a white's. Neither is the not climbing. Do you use a powdered calcium supplement? That can help prevent MBD.
    I might be hesitant to give him wax worms unless he'd lost a significant amount of weight. They aren't very nutritious, and some frogs refuse to eat anything else after being given them. They're like frog donuts. Still, with some vitamin powder, they might not be a bad idea if the frog starts eating even less.

I think there are reptile appetite stimulants if it comes to that. I've heard a bath in water with a drop of honey as something that will help improve appetite. Or a bath in water with unflavored pedialyte to restore electrolytes if the frog has been starving but I can't say whether that would work for that purpose and it does run the danger of stressing the frog out further. I'd only keep it in mind as a last resort.

As far as humidity, White's are pretty tolerant of a broad spectrum according to the wide range of recommendations I've read in care sheets, though Limabean's right that apparently they do fine in low humidity and high humidity raises the risk of bacteria breeding in the tank. However, as long as there's sufficient ventilation in the tank I wouldn't worry about higher humidity.

Thread Information