Thread: Vivarium for WTF

Default Vivarium for WTF

Hi All,

I am new to the forum but not new to browsing and collecting the information. I have a question I was hoping someone could comment on. For my set up I will be using a 100 gal tank (used to be freshwater aquarium). 3/4 of the tank I am doing a false bottom with plastic egg crate and the other 1/4 of the tank will be bio balls or equivalent. I do not plan on having a water feature. I plan on placing Plexiglass on the top of the tank so there will be no screen. I am confident in the substrate selection for WTF's so that's not an issue. My question is in the misting/fogging/humidifying. Will fogging or humidification which to me is pretty much the same thing be enough for live plant care. For the most part I will be home to manually spray as well. But I would like the automation of something when we are away for a few. I do not plan on having more than 1 tank so I do not want to spend the $$ on misting system.

I have read WTF do not need the humidity that other tree frog's require. I guess I am mostly worried about the plants.

Any comments would be appreciated.

MarkG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Vivarium for WTF

I'm not sure, maybe someone in the Vivariums thread could answer this better. I think it generally depends on the heat. Dry heat in winter, like from a heat lamp, and the plants will need more water. Some ventilation in the tank might be better for the health of the frogs.

I have a mesh top and I get away with watering the plants once a week or less when I don't have the heat cranked up. With a plexiglas top I'm guessing your results might be similar.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Vivarium for WTF

Im more than positive WTF have rains in the summer and then these frogs mate after such rains.

But plant wise and although I have RETFs im at a season where they experience light rain here and there so I lightly mist every 3 days but I also have a filtered pool with decent drainage so although my plant soil is damp its not soaking wet as per this pic....

Thread Information