Thread: Is Coloured Water crystals for dubia ok?

Default Is Coloured Water crystals for dubia ok?

Is other Colour water crystals ok for Dubia?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is Coloured Water crystals for dubia ok?

Bad for the Dubia? or bad for what ever you are feeding them to?

If you are buying water crystals intended to be used for feeders, then any colors in them is likely to be food safe dye. If you are using water crystals intended for plants or other things, then you are going to have to read the package to determine what dye was used or ask the manufacturer. Likely still food safe IMO.

There are plenty of post in this forum claiming that water crystals used to keep crickets and other feeders hydrated somehow made it to their frogs and caused death from impaction. So you might should search for those and form your own opinion. I still use water crystals for my crickets. I dye it with food coloring sometimes.

4. This member thanks privet01 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    Bad for the Dubia? or bad for what ever you are feeding them to?

If you are buying water crystals intended to be used for feeders, then any colors in them is likely to be food safe dye. If you are using water crystals intended for plants or other things, then you are going to have to read the package to determine what dye was used or ask the manufacturer. Likely still food safe IMO.

There are plenty of post in this forum claiming that water crystals used to keep crickets and other feeders hydrated somehow made it to their frogs and caused death from impaction. So you might should search for those and form your own opinion. I still use water crystals for my crickets. I dye it with food coloring sometimes.
    Hey there, thanks for replying. I am using it to feed my dubias and planning to feed my dubia to my bearded dragon in the future. How does feeding water crystals to Cricket cause frogs to have impaction??

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

The claim by one post I read was that a cricket must have had a dried up water crystal on them and the frog ate that and then the crystal rehydrated and plugged up the frog. It's been well over a year since I read several similar posts so I may have the details twisted.

I'm skeptical, though I'll allow that it's possible. However some frogs seem to be prone to impaction from many sources so what's another added to the mix. Not much, IMO, I don't think it happens often enough to be a real concern considering all the other hazards frogs and amphib's have just from being kept as pets.

As I said, I still use water crystal exclusively as a water source for my crickets.

Thread Information