Thread: Pac man not eating

Default Pac man not eating

Hello. I bought my first Pac man frog three weeks ago. He hasn't eaten and I can see he isn't doing well. He has lost weight and no longer keeps his eyes open for long. I have him in a quarantine tank right now. He was on a ten gallon with coconut husks pic attached. Iv been spraying him every few hours as he seems to be tacky to the touch... what should I do? I'm worried. I'm going out to by a humidity reader right now. But I don't think it's that as Iv been diligent with misting and the substrate is always moist. He also has low and high points to the substrate for dryer areas...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pac man not eating

Hi

If your frog isn't eating I'd be more concerned to know the temperatures it's at rather than the humidity. Too low of temperature usually puts them off food. If it's either the ornate or chacoan horned frog they're not too concerned with humidity or overly wet conditions and spraying their tank even once a day is enough, they just need to be kept moist and only the rainforest species need to be kept at high humidity at all times.

4. 2 members thank jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Slovak Republic]

As stated above, you should add some ceramic or under pad heating and then try to feed him/her. If it still doesn't eat, try cutting a rubber band in half and attach one end to food and dangle it in front of the frog, much cheaper than tongs IMO.

6. This member thanks melfrog for this post:

Thank you I will..it's pretty warm in my place...it's 20 right now inside... and he has a 40 Watt bulb I'm worried about cooking him...

I placed him closer to a lower Watt bulb. I noticed this red bumps on his one leg??

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

You need a thermometer to know the temps inside ASAP and digital ones are the best. Temps during the day should be at the very least 75oF (24oC) and preferably warmer for youngsters but not over 84oF (29oC). Make sure lights are switched off at night but temps don't drop below the 70sF.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi,

As stated above you need to have both gauges, they should have been one of the first things purchased before even having the frog. Try and get your temps up around 82f. If he is a baby and he hasn't eaten in a few weeks he needs to eat something asap. Go out and either get some reptiboost and give him some that to give him some energy and he may be willing eat. The other alternative is get some non- flavoured pedilyte and give him a soak in this for about 30 mins, most times people recommend 20 mins but I think he may need the extra time. If you do this you want to mix it with water and a 1:10 ratio, so for every 1 oz of pedilyte add 10 oz of water. Only fill the tub up to his chin and if hes having a hard time holding his head up you may need to assist him, if he needs to be assisted try not to move while holding him or make any loud noises. He will need this bath to be stress free so he can just relax in it. For your setup were exactly is his terrarium? Is that your living room? If so he needs to be moved somewhere quiet and were there isn't a lot of traffic and you should cover 3 sides of the enclosure. Stress is a major killer with amphibians. Also what does or did his poop look like? Did you ever get a fecal done? Even though he is probably captive bred they can still contract parasites from feeders.

11. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

What I really want to see is a pic of the frog. Please post it to ***** it's condition, it may change the course of actions to be taken. Regardless, temps, and humidity have to be spot on and 3 sides have to covered. Depending on a size of the frog you might need to get a smaller tank for time being. Cory was spot on! Stress (husbandry mistakes) is a leading cause of frogs not eating and/or dying in captivity, that had to be fixed ASAP. The smaller the frog the less time frame you have to save him, once you see you have a problem. Older, bigger frogs are somewhat more forgiving to husbandry mistakes.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

13. This member thanks Lija for this post:

I have the gauges. His tank is 80 and his humidity is 70. Still haven't eaten on his own. Iv been doing pedialite for three days now. He's perked up a bit.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Temps and humidity are spot on but remember that analogue thermometers are not the best... they won't measure the temp underneath the bulb but rather the ambient air temperature

16. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry to hear he isn't doing any better, I think it may be time to try and find an exotics vet. In the mean time I believe something else is putting him off food, if you could fill these questions out the best you can it may help us determine if there is and what is making him not want to eat.

1. Size of enclosure

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences

3. Humidity

4. Temperature

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish

6. Materials used for substrate

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.

8. Main food source

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)

10. Lighting

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure

12. When is the last time he/she ate

13. Have you found poop lately

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog

17. How long have you owned him/her

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats

20. How often the frog is handled

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

Thread Information