Thread: New young pixie...feeding question.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question New young pixie...feeding question.

Hi all!

I'm new to frog keeping and this forum. I have a new Pixie for almost a week, he/she is about 1.5 in STV. I read the care sheet and so what I've been doing is feeding him all the crickets he can eat in about 15 minutes. Like today, it was like 11 crickets. That just seems SO many for his small little body. Also, on the last few crickets, I kinda guide them so they are in front of his face as sometimes when there's few crickets left, since sometimes the crickets stop moving and he doesn't eat them. Am I feeding too much?
    Also, I notice when I feed him and as he starts eating, sometimes he'll contort his body like he's trying to swallow good. Is that normal? Also, I notice that after a couple crickets, he gets fat on the side with looseness hanging down underneath him, while above and slightly in front of his hind legs his body is kind of indented, and the lower tail bone is very prominent. He tends to look like that after he starts eating. Anyway, just seeing if all this is normal. Thanks!

Z

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New young pixie...feeding question.

HI, welcome to the forums and congrats on your new frog! Pixies are awesome!
    you are very right, when you see the amount of food they consume all you can think is how on earth all that cat fit in that small ( so far ) body lol
    its normal, no you can't overfeed them, not if you feed proper food and make sure you supplement it properly. It us crucial when they are growing. They will slow down on food when they will slow down growing and later when they are adults. 15 min rule is just a guidance for you, when you feed him you can tell when he is done. What you are describing is very normal and it seems you are doing pretty good job! Would love to see some pics!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Thread Information