Thread: Can you please double check my set up and care?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Can you please double check my set up and care?

Hi there. I have a baby African Pixie frog. He is a little larger than the size of a quarter. I currently have him in a ten gallon tank. He used to have coconut fiber substrate, but I read it could impact him so I have him on reptile carpet now. I mist several times a day. I also have a large water dish in the tank that I change daily or every other day. I have a coconut hide for him to go in if he wants. I have been feeding him a mix of crickets, earthworms, waxworms, and the very occasional mealworm. I have been feeding him a couple insects daily to every other day.The temps are currently mid 70s due to my window being jammed open for a couple chilly days, but that is fixed and I expect the temps to return a little higher. Does this sound ok? I love him and I would really appreciate any concerns, tips, or suggestions! Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Can you please double check my set up and care?

If you feed him in a separate container he wont get impacted, or if you tong feed you should be ok to. I would put him back on the cocofibre and feed one of these ways, that carpet is so unnatural to him and with them having such delicate skin its going to irritate his belly and under his legs and make it very red. If he is active enough it could even rub it to the point of almost being raw. And if your window is fixed now try and get his temps up around 82f to 85f, you have to remember were they come from is very hot.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I second what cory said. Reptile carpet is not suitable for terrestrial frogs. Many like to burrow for security or thermal regulation but keeping them on this does not allow them to do so. The chances of your frog getting impacted on coir is very small. If it's a baby frog I would feed at least once each day, they need a lot of food supplemented with calcium d3 and multivitamins to grow big and healthy. Again, definitely raise the temps up to 80-85 asap. Too low of temperature, the frog may not feed or be able to perform optimal body functions, this can result in MBD. At night then temps can drop to 75, which is important.
    Jason

6. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

ok, thank you! Until I can get some more coco fiber, would moist paper towel be safer?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes they should be fine as long as the don't contain any dyes. It really depends on what reptile carpet you have to determine or not it's safe. If it's soft, something like Exo Terra's moss mat then you can leave it until you get coir but if it's rough I would definitely switch to paper towels

9. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

With the paper towels use unprinted ones, its not as much dyes you have to worry about but its the others chemicals used in them. Not saying dye is good for them but there is actually bleach in some paper towels and some other nasty chemicals. Here is a part of an article I posted to another thread once. Im editing because I noticed I forgot the part of the article. L.O.L

Gleaming, bright white paper towels and napkins don’t get that way naturally. There are several methods of bleaching paper products, some far better than others. The one to avoid is Elemental Chlorine (chlorine gas). This is the worst of the bunch, and is responsible for the release of chlorinated compounds like dioxins and furans, which are powerful carcinogens and mutagens. These chemicals can adversely affect immune systems and reproductive systems and are dreadful for aquatic life and wildlife. Bad, bad, bad. Elemental Chlorine Free (ECF) process may be okay—this method employs a chlorine derivative such as chlorine dioxide rather than chlorine gas, and is not the best choice, but is a cleaner process than the use of elemental chlorine.

11. 3 members thank monster for this post:

Thread Information