Thread: How do you all tame your toads?

Default How do you all tame your toads?

I know that toads are "Wild" Animals, But I have heard of some that are extremely tame. Do any of you guys have ideas/ hints as to how to do that? Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How do you all tame your toads?

You do not tame frogs or toads! They are look but not touch animals.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. 2 members thank Lija for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

There is ONE way, but as Lija has already stated, these are look and don't touch pets, and you shouldn't handle them as it causes stress to them. What you need to do is move their tank into somewhere where people frequent, but don't actually do anything. Like a hallway or living room or something. Eventually they should be used to people being a major portion of their lives. Next step is to try feeding them irresistible foods, such as Wax-worms and Canadian night-crawlers. (Night-crawlers should be part of the staple diet as well) Once you feed that, leave and do something, and come back after a while to see if they've eaten. If they have, continue doing this treatment over the next month (Like a wax-worm twice a week) along with their normal feeding. After about a month has passed, try feeding them while you're in the room. If they continue eating, keep doing this until about another month has passed. The final step is to either start hand-feeding or tong feeding them. Once they start doing that, they should be "tame" and put up with humans, and possibly be out in the day or at least active when you walk past their tank. (they'll beg for food if they aren't already, it's adorable) Again, these are look and don't touch pets, some that you should very rarely handle, unless you're moving them to a temporary tank or cleaning it, ect. I hope this helped out a bunch of people, as I know I don't want my animals stressing themselves out for me!

6. 2 members thank Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

The tamest a toad will be is to take food from forceps or head towards the tank when you appear, probably they associate you with food. As said, frogs and toads for the most part are for display and not to be petted but whites tree frogs are relitively tame because you feed them. I've watched many videos where a whites tree frog will climb onto someone's hand but this has never happened with a toad I've kept.

8. 2 members thank jasonm96 for this post:

Thanks all! Yes, I know you aren't supposed to handle them often, I'm just especially hoping to get them more used to me, (Used to me, < Better words than tame!) I feel bad when I clean the tank and such, and my toads freak out. Don't worry about the handling! I've heard that they can "Soak" up chemicals, (One of the reasons why we aren't supposed to use soap when cleaning, (Or so I've heard...) ) and I'm always nervous that somehow they will get something from me! Lol.

The toads I've heard of being "Tame", would actually lay on your chest and be very calm, much like a bearded dragon. But that type of "Toad Relationship" Is probably quite rare, and I'm more looking for them to not freak out when cleaning the tank, (I mean, sure, that would be fun, but I enjoy watching them a lot and am fine with that!) If I put my hand any where near them, they usually get stressed out, and I really don't want that.

Thanks! I will try your ideas!

10. This member thanks Charc15 for this post:

My toad likes to just chill on my chest when I watch tv, lol. I don't do it often, but when I do take her out she is always very cooperative, never any fear pee. She lives in my indoor herb garden though, which I am constantly trimming, watering, planting, etc. So she is used to giant hands constantly invading her space. That and I like to give her a little rub on the side of her belly every now and then, in which she protests by puffing up.

12. This member thanks Toadpher for this post:

Nationality
    [Denmark]

The toads in my house are tame, as much as they can be, because I also prefer interacting with them - of course in the ways that you can interact with them and not in a way that causes any stress

I currently have one Bufo bufo, aproximately 2 years old and 3 Bufo japonicus, ca. 1 year old. I've had 2 other Bufo bufo (also very tame) and some wild 6 Melanostictus duttaphrynus and 2 Amietophrynus regularis, that are now back in wilder conditions My current Bufo bufo is very tame. He will follow me around, while in the tank, come out when I approach the tank, come if "called" (by tapping my fingers on the ground), can eat with pincetta or with the aid of a laser pen and is a calm and happy little toad.

I like that my guys are used to hands, so I once in a while can check up on them to see if everything's allright with them and so I can move them out, in order to clean their tank, or when feeding them, without stressing them out. It should be stressed that I of course do not "pet" or clothe them or in any way treat them as not toads or animal. My Bufo bufoonce in a while hangs out on my leg to watch tv or just comfortably sit there, while I read or what not (all the time, while handling my guys, I use disposable gloves without talcum).

*I have experienced though, that it does depend on the toads personality. I have had guys that never ever tamed or just ended up barely tolerating my interaction - where I of course then let them be "wild" in their tank, unless absolutely necessary - and I have had two other guys very, very tame earlier*

For those interested, here are what I did to tame my guys, in their tempo:

*first off, I had my guys from babies and not wild caught. I have successfully tamed a common asian toad that lived in a big enclose enough to "be wild", from a baby, but it is of course much harder with an adult individual from the wild to end up being comfortable in tamed conditions, which is why I personally do not keep WC individuals anymore*

*per my experience the key here is patience, repetition, calm movements, of course gentleness and not taking actions that stress out the animal more than what can be avoided*

1) Keep the tank in a crowded area (after 30 days of quarantene and acclimation), but with natural enviroments and areas to hide. Slowly this will get the toad used to everyday sounds like seeing you moving around, hearing the TV on, hearing you/feeling your vibration when you walk, enviroment sounds and so on.

2) Take out to feed in feeding bowl (after quarentene time and acclimation). Since the ones I had were babies, I kept a big, white glass ceramic bowl, in which I used to feed them in every day or every second day. I use cuban woodlice. Not "grabbind" the toads by cuffing my hand over them (very stressful or any prey animal), I'd pick them up by a tea spoon when they were really small, or coach them up on my hand (being careful never to drop them or let them jump) and gently place them in the bowl. I was always calm and slow in my movement, and simply repeated this every day, once a day. While they fed I would simply sit still by the bowl, with no loud noises around, observing them.

After about 2-3 weeks all of them were very comfortable with being in the feeder bowl and with me sitting there. They also quickly associated being picked up - or my hands - as a connection to food and are now at the stage where I can calmly put my finger in their tank, right next to the baby toad and it simply checks my huge finger out, to see if it has any food on it LOL

3) Hand feeding

When the toadlets are bigger and can take night crawlers, practicing with hand feeding is very effective. When they were small, I'd put them in my palm (with gloves on) and set a nightcrawler down with them. When they were a bit bigger, I would set them down on a non-toxic surface (here, my wooden floor in my room where I never use any chemicals), calmly lay a nightcrawler in front of them and "push it" or "tap" my finger next to it. After a while, they simply associate your finger with food or with something that feeds them.

- Training with pincettas and laser pens in connection with food is done much the same way. When they are completely confident with hand feeding, you simply replace your finger with either tool.

Personally I have found this very useful when having to give medicine or being able to check up on my guys. All of them are clearly relaxed when being handled and very healthy and happy animals

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Are we creating conditional stimuli here with frogs n toads?

Thats interesting the psychology of frogs

Nationality
    [Denmark]

I just think you can learn the animal that you meen food and do not pose a threat.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

You should read some of Pavlov's work on animal conditioning, I think you will find it interesting.

17. This member thanks KMAC for this post:

Nationality
    [Denmark]

I am familiar with some of his work and I generally don't support that method of interacting with animals. Regardless of what some experts and hobbyists say - in any field with any kind of animal - if you've worked with animals for a long period of time, you can observed them as being alive and being aware of being alive.

And where anything is alive, there is grounds for some form of communication You do not have to coerce or "condition" any animal, if you're patient, observant and calm. In the same way, interaction with animals can be more than just conditioning.

I feel the best thing for any owner or caregiver is always to observe your animal and keep in mind that it's some form of living being, an not an object to be owned. Pay attention to it's way of communicating and try, as best, to interact with it where some kind of communication can take place.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Yeah I dont think Pavlov's work was really to determine animals natural behaviour or animal care as he was creating certain conditions in unatural enviroments but the guy that made the post seems interested in conditional stimuli and as you know in most proffesions that study conditional or unconditional stimuli will at some point refer to his work.

Nationality
    [United States]

what do you mean by tame? like come to you by name? :B

as stated, amphibians have sensitive skin! I do, however, love toads for what they are
    and have in the past gotten good toad-friendly gloves, sweatpants, long shirt and just sit while they hop/explore around me. sometimes give em treats. let them sit on my clothed leg
    but I think
    petting them or anything like that makes them stressed! I mean, they typically puff up or may start trying to make threats/toad-swear at you. They're anxious lil fellows as
    being so cute and small
    they're definitely easy dinner in the wild

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Yeah I understand I guess some one will always refer to Pavlov.

Toads are for sure not "petting" pets. They are not like mammals and do not like to be squeesed, stroked or petted. But there are many ways where you can win over their trust and confidence, and have a pet toad that's relaxed around you, actively interacts with you and that you can share alot of cool and really great moments with.

My tamest toad here at home is my 3,5 year old Bufo bufo, Bandit. I've had her since she was a baby (rescue case) and she's so hand weened that she'll often go crazy after my hands and initially totally ignore the feeding bowl or the feeds, until I draw her attention to them, haha! x.D And this was not done by repetitive condition, as with drills or the likes: I just slowly got her used to being picked up and moved to a feeding container and hand fed her every day when she was teeny tiny, all in her temper.

As toads are amphibians hands should of course be toxin-free, without oily/perfumey creams or anything like that and they shouldn't be held or handled for extended periods of time. Normally I'd just move mine out and then interact with them, on their own will (i.e. having them come to my hand for food, instead of picking them up and holding them for company or whatever). Many times after feeding Bandit would just sit and hang out on my leg, until her nightcrawlers settled. Whenever she made indications to want to leave or want to go away, I'd just carefully set her back in her tank and let her walk off my hand on her own will.

Thread Information