Thread: Whites Tree Frog isn't eating normally, help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Whites Tree Frog isn't eating normally, help!

My Whites tree frog hasn't been eating a lot lately, and I'm a bit worried. I've had him about a year, and got him as a little guy (a little under an inch long). I'm pretty sure he's a male. Although he's never croaked or called, he fits the male description. He's now an inch and a half long. Up until recently he was eating 9 small crickets a week (3 crickets 3 times a week), dusted with calcium powder every time. He went from eating 9 crickets a week to only eating 3 this past week. I feed him in a half gallon plastic fish tank without the lid and put it in his terrarium, thinking maybe since it's clear he still thinks he's on the hunt. (Just to make sure his terrarium doesn't get smelly from possible uneaten dead crickets and so I know he's actually eating them.) He doesn't seem to be acting any different than normal and is active, soaking daily in his bowl of spring water. He seems to have gotten away from climbing the glass walls, but is still active. His tank has been at 70-75 F and the humidity is anywhere from 60%-80% (I try to keep the humidity around 80% but it does dip a few times during the day, in which case I spray the terrarium with spring water and bring it back up to around 80%) He's on a 12 hour on/12 hour off lighting schedule. I'm also worried he's not growing fast enough. He's not skinny, he's got a healthy plump to him. I've tried to give him 4 small crickets at a time when he was eating normally... he always left the last one. More worried about how his eating habits have changed though. Am I overdoing the calcium powder? I coat the crickets, but not with an overly thick layer. My boyfriend also suggested that he's getting bored with the crickets. I was thinking of giving him a wax worm or two a week. I've heard that worms can eat through their stomachs though, and I'm a bit hesitant to give him any.

(I would post pictures, but the site won't let me...)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog isn't eating normally, help!

White's are normally pretty hungry. It's their basic state of being. Having said that, there might not be a problem. It's only been one week after all. Keep an eye on the frog, see if further symptoms develop, see if he poops.

You don't have to try so hard keep the humidity at 80%, generally above 40% is good.

You can try feeding him wax worms but they're pretty fatty and frogs might refuse other things afterwards. (Wax worms are basically donuts for frogs. They're great if you have an underweight animal, but most dumpies store fat so easily that something higher in protein like crickets might be better.)

The 'eating their way out' sounds suspiciously like a folk tale. I'm not going to say it can't happen, but the acid in a frog's stomach should kill it. Are wax worms even carnivorous? I have heard of some kind of worm (I forget which one) passing through undigested though.

4. 2 members thank elly for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Your frog is too cold. You want a basking spot around 85f for whites, whilst the ambient can be at least mid 70s. No lower than 65of when lights are off. Go for a humidity range between 50-70%, 80% is too high for a lot of tree frogs and can cause problems.

Calcium can be added everyday, it's only d3 that is easily over supplied. Remember to use multivitamins as well as calcium. Repashy calcium plus is an excellent supplement as it can be used every feed and has all the necessary calcium and vitamins but I'd recommend a 5% UVB with it to ensure optimum bone health.

6. 3 members thank jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you Elly! I may try the wax worms, as he's still having the same problem. I gave him 2 crickets a few minutes ago, and I'm watching him fall asleep with them in front of him lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Jason! Since it's been hotter outside his temp has been anywhere from 75-90. His tank is upstairs and we don't have central air. :-\ I've been keeping his humidity around 60%-70%. He does have the UVB bulb, I read before I got him that they need it and it's on a 12 hour on 12 hour off schedule.

Nationality
    [United States]

Elly... tried feeding him wax worms, he won't even touch them. He literally walks away from the worms and the crickets. I don't kow what to do, he hasn't eaten anything in over 2 weeks! 😳 He's still active and moves around a lot, he's walking around his feeding tank as I type. He's pooped twice in those 2-ish weeks. I was thinking maybe mealworms, but he has problems pooping normally it seems and I know their shells are thick and sort of hard. I'm worried about them giving him more pooping issues. Thoughts?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I do recommend trying to cool the tank with a fan or something. 90F is a bit high.

Have you been hand-feeding only? If so he might not be eating because he's scared. Have you tried a feeding bowl? Some smooth bowl with sides a couple of inches high left in the tank overnight with feeders in it? You'd think crickets could jump out of that but it's really hard for them. Feeding bowls are generally better than just leaving crickets in the tank because that way they can't nibble on the frogs.

Meal worms aren't bad now and then but I'd be worried about causing impaction too.

Thread Information