Thread: You can lead a (monkey) frog to water.....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default You can lead a (monkey) frog to water.....

Is it possible that frogs just don't/won't go into the water? It is dechlor tap water, changed daily, so definitely not dirty. That is what worries me; there is almost never any "pee" in it.

There are 3.1 adult frogs in a 4 foot tall enclosure and of course almost all their time day and night is spent at the top. Once in a while I see one hunting at the bottom.

Due to worrying about this, I make sure that each Sunday when I clean the cage and weigh them, I soak them in a 20% pedialyte/water solution. Generally, they will want to soak in there for one to two hours, and almost always will pee then. When they go back in the cage, they are the lime green color-happy frogs.

But by about Thursday at least two of them start to turn darker, a medium moss green. I am pretty convinced this is from not getting enough water (it is 76/95 degrees and average 25-35% humidity). They have a 90-95% PowerSun basking spot they normally hang around in the day so I don't think they could be cold.

When they were in a smaller cage, they seemed to soak much more, but then again, they were subadults then.

I have tried putting the dish on a platform that is about 3 feet up, just under where they usually bask but it makes no difference. Also they have been physically placed in the dish and had to climb back up to the top so I am sure they know where it is-and it is just under a vine so easy to walk right in.

Does anyone know if once a week urination and one long soak per week is normal for monkey frogs?
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: You can lead a (monkey) frog to water.....

This may not be the case, but for very arboreal animals, they rarely, if ever, venture to the ground. I'm not sure if monkey frogs are one of those species, but you could try finding/making an arboreal water dish, so they can still soak and such, but won't need to go down onto the ground to soak. Petco/Pet-smart sold water dishes in the shape of leaves with suction cups, I got one for my arboreal species. If you can't find one/your frogs are too big, try making one!

I have no experience with this species, but 25-35% humidity sounds low.... if you're frogs seem dehydrated, you can mist them once or twice a day, it will increase the humidity as well as keep the frogs hydrated

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

5. This member thanks Fingolfin for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

The frogs are covered in self-administered wax to prevent dehydration as they come from an arid, hot place and bask in nearly direct sun so I am pretty sure the humidity is correct. Apparently most in captivity die from too MUCH humidity. If they are misted the water beads up and falls off. They can only get water via the cloaca.

I have tried an arboreal dish but will put it back again and see if I get any results.

Any monkey frog folks have any ideas?
    Phyllomedusa sauvagii 3.0.1, Strawberry hermit crabs 1.1.0, 10 purple pinchers, African Grey 1.0.0, Alexandrine 1.0.0, Half Moon Conure 0.1.0 , Ivory-billed Aricari 1.0.0

7. This member thanks Monkey Business for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Possibly a stupid question, but is the pee normally visible in the water dish?

Nationality
    [United States]

No it's not stupid, these frogs are just weird! Since they are from a dry place, they recycle water in their kidneys to conserve it and they excrete mostly uric acid; it looks for all the world like raw egg with a little clear and a little yellow. So, yes, it's an unmistakable blob in the water dish (PS poop is a mostly dry pellet with no smell).

10. This member thanks Monkey Business for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes! One of mine did that too. If you see that happening you can do a few things. One would be to spray the cage once a week, get more water bowls in different shapes and/or just put that lazy bugger in a water bowl at night once a while.
    And yes "weird" that is exactly to word to describe them lol
    Last edited by Lija; April 25th, 2016 at 11:05 PM.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

12. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for letting me know this is not unusual! I think I have cracked it; I moved the dish up to the high shelf and one has soaked and urinated each of the past two nights. God help them in the wild! As you have said Lija they are not the brightest bulbs in the frog kingdom but that is part of their charm. The other day, one of them took a too-far leap to the wall to catch a dubia, went splat, and then having nothing to hold on to, with all his feet extended, slowly slid down the wall just like something in a cartoon. I felt bad for him but laughed out loud in spite of it

They used to go to ground just fine when in a shorter enclosure. I guess they just aren't willing to climb down 4 feet of vine to get to water.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lol honestly I have no idea how they survive in a wild, no idea at all
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information