Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog Concerns

Member needs to set country!

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog Concerns

So I have had 2 RETFs for 6 months now. I got them as babies so they are both same age and full grown. One is much larger than the other so I presume to have a male female set. They are both very healthy (knocks on wood) and are very active at night jumping and crawling all over their home. They are used to my presence and could care less if I'm changing their water or adding food.

These are my concerns:

They also live with a male female pair of brown anoles. Have since their were large enough not to be eaten by the anoles, but now the female frog is so big and agile that she is hunting the female brown anole. I saw it with my own eyes the female frog lunged and caught the brown female anoles head right in her mouth. The anole easily squirmed her way out but I thought they were insectivores?? The female anole is small but full grown and no way can my frog eat her. So why is she trying???? Why is she stressing out my poor anole while she is trying to sleep. This just recently came to my attention when I saw it with my own eyes.

I have switched to feeding all my reptiles solely with dubias a couple months ago. I watch my frogs stare at their food bowl for hours waiting for their prey to move. Not the same as crickets... But I have a huge tub of dubias breeding like wildfire. Much easier than crickets. Maybe my female frog is looking for a hunt? Or just hungry? I leave food in there every night, but mostly newborn dubias because I have a wealth of them.

Also since I have been watching more closely to make sure my female anole doesn't get eaten, I've noticed my RETFs hit their noses pretty hard on the glass bowl I feed them in. They lunge so hard at the bowl at point blank range. Should I be concerned with them hurting themselves on my food bowl? Kinda silly to worry about this now since I've fed them this way for 6 months. Just wondering!

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance, and before you say it, I only have 1 very large terrarium (36x24x36) set up on auto watering with live plants and springtails, a perfect setup and don't want to buy another tank and split them all up and do it all over again.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Concerns

As you've found out, frogs will eat anything that fits in their mouths and that includes rocks sometimes! They do prefer things that move quickly though. If they'll tong feed, I like to wave dubias around in front of my frogs so they can catch them.
    You might want to switch to a non-clear foodbowl. I don't know if they'll hurt themselves but it can't hurt.

Also, I definitely recommend moving the anoles out! The frogs will keep trying to eat them and stressing them out because that's just what frogs do.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Concerns

Hey dude

It's generally not recommended to mix reptiles and amphibians. Red eyes will require a different humidity to the anoles and the anoles will need a hotter basking spot. As elly has said, frogs will try to eat anything as they are predators. I'd recommend setting the red eyes up in a 20 gallon tank but not sure on the anoles, I have looked into their care but not alot and have not kept them. I've found treefrogs to be interested in crickets, flies or moths. Because anoles are diurnal they will eat the food before the tree frogs wake up and so food and supplements may be gone by the time they become active.

Thread Information