Thread: Heat Cable

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Heat Cable

Hey Y'all,

Does anyone know of an effective way of heat using an Exo Terra heat cable? My set up right now is an 12X12X18 (imperial measurement) I know that's tall but its what I got until I buy him one of those new pod terrariums. I use a heat mat on the side of the terrarium, several small plastic plants about half of the terrarium is covered in shade and about 2 and a half inches of coco fiber substrate.

I mist the terrarium about twice a day and keep the humidity 70-80% the temperature on the hot side is about 80-85 but it seems to fluctuate too much. Right now I have the cable taped to the back of the inside of the terrarium behind the Exo Terra foam insert. I feel like the cable is only heating the outside glass away from the terrarium.

I don't feel that the cable is really doing much and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to utilize the cable better. Any help would be fantastic, thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Heat Cable

I should mention that lunchbox is still young probably only 2 and a half inches. Seems healthy regular lazy steady diet of juicy home raised night crawlers. Has been burying himself almost completely lately and I have never seen it soak in the water bowl even though I change it everyday, never any coco residue in the water.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Heat Mats and heat cables on the side don't do much for an animal that is burrowed most of the time, as it won't really use them, as they are contact heat sources and do not really warm the ambient air temperature, unless placed underneath moist substrate which will then buffer some heat. Underneath it will provide usable heat but unless connected to a thermostat (probe under substrate on top of glass) it may burn the animal. Even if connected to a thermostat so the animal will not get burned. It will still be unnatural for the animal to burrow in order to heat up but will be more effective, though downward heat is more natural and so better. Also putting it behind a background will let no heat pass. Downward heat is better but in a terrarium that high and small it may be hard to supply the heat and or supply the right thermal gradient. Id always recommend a normal 10 gallon and put around a 40w heat lamp on top as well as a natural light lamp that produces UVA.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright, I have a light right now very low wattage that provides UVA and I use it just to stablish a day/night cycle. I will remove the heat cable and look into getting a 40w today at the store. I have a electronic gauge to monitor the temperature and humidity, I guess Ill mess around a little bit more to get the right humidity/ temperature combination. I didn't know much before I bought the terrarium or I would have gotten the lower 12 inch high model. I think ill spurge and get http://biopod.org/ when it releases in May. I just want Lunchbox happy until then. Well looking at the bipod its 18 inches tall, so might just snag me that 10 gallon lol.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

You might need more than a 40w for that height but I wouldn't worry too much about humidity, as I've said many times, horned frogs (accept from cornutas) are not tropical and so do not need high humidity but 60% suits most frogs well but if you can't reach this patches of sphagnum moss will help. If you're looking into another tank id go for a 15 gallon at least because I think most adult horned frogs - although males might be fine in a 10 gallon - females will be better in 15-20 gals

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay good deal I will use a quick remedy right now with a slightly higher wattage bulb. With it being so young I have read that large spaces such as a 15 gallon would stress it out? Should I stick with a smaller one and then once an adult upgrade it?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Yeah I'd consider at least 60w maybe more because it will take a lot of energy to reach the floor. Imo enlosure size won't stress the animal out providing you give it enough hides and cover so it won't feel out in the open but may effect its ability to catch prey before supplements wear off. So one way is to provide lots of cover and then tong feed or preferably raise in a smaller tank so it can catch its prey itself, if you're frog is really small. If you can establish the right temp gradient in the tank you have it would be ideal. If you can't, I'd highly recommend a large plastic tank and then putting the heat mat underneath, connecting it to a thermostat so the floor temperature (underneath the subtrate) measures around high 70s to low 80s, this will not burn the frog but will provide it enough heat. Many people will go against this but fact is at the beginning most horned frogs were probably raised like this and fared well, it is certainly better than having the mat on the side and not providing the right temps, which will cause many health problems. If you need any guidance, my bible with horned frogs is chacoan horned frogs by Philippe de Vosjoli

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, Ill buy that book as fast as I can. I'll look into all this and get it done today and tomorrow, LunchBox is good at tong feeding so that's no issue and its main prey right now is dusted night crawlers so not much to catching them. The majority of the tank is filled with spaces to hide, I lines the edges of the glass with small plants and eco earth and there are handing plants on the side to create a "cover". Its not nearly as small as when I first got it and seems pretty strong because it can lunge and jump better than I figured its chubby butt could do. I have just struggled with the heat the couple weeks I've had it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Best thing any horned frog keeper can do, wish I found it sooner! Love Philippe's work. Sounds good, just make sure the nightcrawlers are no more than half the body. I'd start mine out on crickets and earthworms, guppies as well and then as subadult then super worms and night crawlers, small pink mice as well. I had the whole heating issue at the start as well but it's down to the conflicting and often bad information online, the key is to find a good breeder or book from a breeder and take guidance from them, as they have bred and raised loads of frogs to top condition

Nationality
    [United States]

For the night crawlers I grow I cut them in half before dusting and feeding, kind of cruel but necessary for healthy feeding. Lunchbox should be able to eat them without them being cut soon enough, I just need to get the temperature right so that the metabolism and comfort for Lunchbox will be just right. I'm still hoping its a female but time will tell! Its really a fantasy frog and I have no intention on breeding, I just want a fat little monster and I don't want it croaking unless it has to.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

That's fine then but I would vary the diet as much as possible for best results. The temperature is one of the important part of horned frog care, so the sooner it can be sorted, the better. The book will really help you. If it is a fantasy horned frog, this is mixed with a cranwelli and tropical cornuta, so may need at least 70% humidity. Best kept on coir (eco earth) with some sphagnum moss ontop, pressed down well to prevent any risks of impaction.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Fantasy horned frogs are infertile so even if you wanted to I don't think the breeding is working.

14. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Fantasy horned frogs are infertile so even if you wanted to I don't think the breeding is working.
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned that I had no intention on breeding

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay will do, I have some sphagnum moss purchased already and I will get that done today. I do plan on varying the diet I know that is important, I intended to purchase some very very small frozen pinky mice for a treat every couple months of so and I am trying to look for things as well. I'm thinking of horned worms or wax worms for other treats.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh I wasn't sure if you just weren't interested or if you knew they were infertile so there wasn't point.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Oh I wasn't sure if you just weren't interested or if you knew they were infertile so there wasn't point.
    I understand No intention or interest in breeding for me, just wanting a healthy happy frog.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Good stuff, it will really soak in moisture and help with humidity. It's only green moss to worry about, sphagnum is fine. A pink mice even once a month is fine and fish is good as well if you can get healthy ones, the bones provide good calcium but I'd still coat in supplements with pink mice.

Thread Information