Thread: Question about poo frequency

Default Question about poo frequency

Hi,

I was wondering what is a normal frequency for white tree frogs to poo because I have two white Tree frogs and I feel like I almost never find any poop in my tank (no substrate, just towels) or maybe just 2 to 3 poop a month even with two frogs.

Few weeks ago, on of my white show some illness symptom and I thought It might be redleg, however she seemed to go better but since last week, she seems to begin to feel sick again and I will probably try to find a vet who treat frogs here in Montréal, Canada, but how could I manage to Get a poop simple from her? Should I isolate her temporarly?

should I be worried that I don't find more poop than that?

Thanks a lot

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question about poo frequency

here is a thing - what comes in has to go out, so the question is - are they eating? How often and what do you feed? Do you actually see them eat?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Yes, I tong feed them 2 to 3 crickets every other day so I always see them eat.
    I only feed them with crickets and sometimes butterworms

Nationality
    [Canada]

Would you please answer these questions to help us get the whole picture

QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species) white tree frog
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" ) 18 x 18 x 14
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? ) another WTF of the same size
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate: no
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined: no
    8----what is the typical humidity level: I don't know
    9----what temperature is maintained: 24 day and night
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: bulb light (will verify the brand) and heat carpet when it's getting cold
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically) : will verify
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc) :change water every two days and cleaning of the entire enclosure once a month
    13---what kind of water is used: tap water rest for 24h for both
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand: no
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific: towels
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned: encloser the same for 4 years, every object in the tank is soak in hot water and vinegar for 30 min
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric: fabric plant
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials: big piece of wood bought in a pet store, I remove the back ground because crickets hide behind
    16---when is the last time the frog ate: 1 day ago
    17---have you found poop lately: Really rarely (once a week) and I can not tell if it was hers or my other frog
    18---how often is the frog fed : I feed her every other days woth 2 to 3 crickets
    19---what size feeder is given medium crickets or butter worms, goliath and silkworms : medium and large crickets, no more worms because when I give her, she won't accept crickets anymore (I had a problem last year because she refuse eat crickets for more than one week so I finaly gave her worms. Now she is accepting crickets on a regular base so I don't want to take a chance so no more worms.
    20---what other feeders are used as treats : none
    21---what is the frog's main food source: crickets
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed: I feed them with feeding pliers to make sure they eat because crickets tend to hide im the cage and my frogs are not able to catch them
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often: try to give exo terra vitamin powder every week
    24---calcium - what brand and how often: etry to give xo terra calcium powder every week (calcium + D3 evry month
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time: no,
    26---approximate age of the frog: 4 years
    27---how long have you owned the frog: 4 years
    28---who cared for the frog before you: the pet shop
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred: probably captive bred, they were really small
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves) : once every 3 days, without gloves
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: yes, quiet in a empty room
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no): yes for 6 days
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication: No
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

Nationality
    [Canada]

Okay one thing here I see that is very dangerous - your water! You need to get water conditioner and use it for all your water. Any kind will do, I use prime by seachem, it's used for fish. 24h rest period don't do anything. they are slowly toxic out, you need to fix that. See how this will work re poops too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

First of all, I agree about the water.

Second, I may be wrong, (please tell me) but pooping once a week doesn't sound too bad for a frog. They're cold-blooded creatures that digest slowly. Once or twice a week seems a reasonable amount of poop.

You mention you thought it had redleg? What were the symptoms? not eating, soaking a lot? Pinkish legs? The last symptom shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Okay one thing here I see that is very dangerous - your water! You need to get water conditioner and use it for all your water. Any kind will do, I use prime by seachem, it's used for fish. 24h rest period don't do anything. they are slowly toxic out, you need to fix that. See how this will work re poops too.

Hi,

You are right. I will buy Aquatize from Exo Terra conditionner treatment (Is this a good product?) and for now I bought a gallon of Spring water as I heard it is safe for frogs to bath in it. (meanwhile, I read a post written by Johnny O. Farnen saying that spring water (from USA and Canada) might not be safe as we would thing and that they still contain abd stuff like chloramine and bromide, so I'm not even sure if it is okay to use it).

Hi,

I can find a poop once a week and I have two frog so I found it was not a lot.

For the symptoms, she has a lot but sometimes some appear for few days and sometimes symptoms go away. Sometimes She seems to be completely healty and the day after not anymore.

I have an appointment at the vet Mars 1th so I hope It helps us find what is wrong with Golden.

Her symptoms are:

Refuse to eat sometimes
    Had pinkish legs and belly
    She shed a looot
    soaking a lot in her bath

One thing really scary, the other night she was breathing with difficulty, like if she was loosing her breath, and her back legs were hanging each side of her body (I read somewhere it was a sign of illness)

For the last few days she is not showing any of these symptoms anymore but still soaking a lot and for two nights, I found her not moving from her sleeping spot, she stayed at the same place for 48 hours but accepted a cricket I put right in front of her.

I really hope the vet will be able to find something and give something to treat her if needed.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I guess there's no way of telling if one frog is doing all the pooping and the other isn't? You might want to try quarantining if you have an extra tank.

The hanging back legs sound pretty bad, so yes, maybe better take her to the vet.

Safe drinking water for humans is not always quite as safe for frogs, I've read. We can tolerate more chlorine than they can apparently. And yeah, that water treatment stuff sounds fine.

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I guess there's no way of telling if one frog is doing all the pooping and the other isn't? You might want to try quarantining if you have an extra tank.

The hanging back legs sound pretty bad, so yes, maybe better take her to the vet.

Safe drinking water for humans is not always quite as safe for frogs, I've read. We can tolerate more chlorine than they can apparently. And yeah, that water treatment stuff sounds fine.

I found 3 poops since last few days (it's a record!) and will bring them at the vet in three days, maybe they will agree to test all of these three samples. Maybe with the stress of being transports in the car she will poo because sometimes when l clean their terrarium they poo because of stress I think).

For the hanging legs, I did not see that happen again so I don't know what to think about that.

Thread Information