Thread: Misting? Feeding? Pictures?

Default Misting? Feeding? Pictures?

So I've been interested in keeping pacmans for a while, and from time to time I still pop back on this forum and read some threads.
    #1. How do you keep your tank moist? What system do you use? What is the cheapest most reliable method?

#2. Should you feed crickets or worms? Do you need to dust worms? How quickly do worms breed/repopulate? Under what conditions do worms breed, heavy rain?

#3. Should you use water conditioner (like for fish) on the water you keep in your pacman's tank?

#4. Do you recommend the use of moss in addition to the normal substrate in tanks? Can you just rip some moss off of the ground and grow it?

#5. I told my grandmother about my ambitions and she immediately went out and bought me a tank from one of her friends. Unfortunately, there is a piece of glass missing. Do I need to replace the piece, or can I take advantage of this situation in any way? This is a terrarium, and was originally used as a terrarium, do you have any idea why the piece was removed?

Also-please add pictures of your terrarium!
    (sorry about the file format, the forum is cooperating with me right now)
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Misting? Feeding? Pictures?

Hiya

First things first, get yourself a book. A lot of people turn to the internet for complete care and information on their pets, however the internet has loads of opinions, some from bad and some from good sources. By purchasing a book, you're getting information off of people who have most likely kept large numbers and successfully bred them. Philippe de Vosjoli and Robert Mailloux were the first to get this the Chacoan Horned frog going in captivity and fortunately have written a very good book AVS Chacoan Horned Frogs, which in my opinion gives the best information there is on successfully keeping Horned frogs.

But now, for your questions...

Use a handheld mister and keep the substrate moist. Some people use misting or fogging systems, however I feel this is unnecessary and rarely needed, as this species does not need constant high humidity or above 80%.

Crickets can make the most of the diet, however when big enough, superworms, pink mice, good sourced feeder fish and earthworms should all be used. This frog does not primarily feed on invertebrates like your common frog, in fact in some species of Horned frogs they mostly feed on other frogs. I use Repashy Superfoods Calcium Plus, which is designed to be used on every insect feed. Just put the crickets or worms in a jar or plastic bag and add some supplements and shake. Do not overcoat them, though. They should appear dusted but not coated. It's best just purchasing the feeders from a pet shop or online unless you have many frogs or animals to feed. They need to be gutloaded though, so put them in their own little plastic terrariums and feed them fruit and veg or commercial diets.

I don't think the frog will escape out of that gap but I'd just get another glass tank if I were you, they're pretty cheap

I hope this helps.

I'll post a pic of my set up just now, it's fairly simple but that's all it's needed

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Here's my set up. 45 x 45 x 30cm Exo Terra, great for sub adults to adults, I'd maybe put babies in something smaller such as a large faunarium. It is simple, just a few inches of coir, which is slightly drier than usual atm, I need to mist it tomorrow. Using a hanging plant to trail over the floor as a hide away from the lights and going to put a piece of cork bark soon as well as the last piece I ordered was poop. Heat is provided by a heat mat covering 1/3 of the floor bottom, it is connected to a pulse thermostat which controls the heat and temperatures are monitored by a digital thermometer. For lightling I'm just using a 13W exo terra natural light otherwise marketed as a 2.0 bulb, although does not produce any usable UVB as it's over the screen top. But not to worry, Horned frogs don't need UVB as the get D3 from vertebrates in their diet. The water dish provided is shallow as Horned frogs aren't the best swimmers.

and yes use water conditioner to de-chlorinate the water. Moss is fine but feed by tongs as if the frogs ingest it problems can occur. Use pet shop moss, suppose you could use moss from outside if you dried it out first.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I added some new questions to the list, if anyone gets the opportunity, please answer them.

Thread Information