Thread: How do you like my setup?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default How do you like my setup?

So I've had this frog for 1.5 years, glad I found this forum just a couple of days ago!

I got my frog a 30%(water) 70%(substrate) about 3 months ago but he would ALWAYS sit in the water, he not once went on land.

So just last week I gave her pretty much 65% water and the rest land/moss.

Since temperatures are supposed to be 77-90 , my thermometer indicates a steady 70 at all times, I have two heat lamps as can be seen. But my frog seems happy and eats lots...Should I be worried and adjust the temp? Or is it good to leave it?

My frog does not get out of the water, she just sits in there 24/7

http://imgur.com/lMepNgY
    http://imgur.com/a/Zjw67

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How do you like my setup?

I like it! Personally I would filter the water or just use a water dish as it's easier. Keep temperatures higher than 70oF with a basking spot of around 85oF. I'd just use one heat lamp and go for a higher wattage, using an infrared one connected to a thermostat. Although they've been kept without UVB for ages, I'd swap the other heat lamp with atleast 5% UVB as if you think of in the wild how much exposure they would be getting in that African sun.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hmmm I like your idea, I have a UVB so ill hook that up for him! Good advice.

Also, for the water, I figured since in nature they live in still ponds, I just remove/add fresh water once in a while, maybe once a week?

He still hasn't eaten the feeder fish I threw in there...he tried to catch them a few times but then gave up lol.

I always take him out for feeding and have tried feeding him the fish then, but he always picks super worms instead... =[

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would have to agree with Jason that you should filter that water if keeping it like that or go with a huge deep dish you can change daily. There was a guy on here a few months back that had his ABF die in the water on him. He took excellent care of this guy and couldn't figure out what happened, after doing a test on the water he found the ammonia and nitrates were threw the roof and that's what killed his frog. He even had a filter and was doing his 25% water changes every few days. These guys can take some huge pees so you may want to be carefull with the water and if you keep this way you may want to have a water quality testing kit handy so you can check the levels every few days. As I mentioned he had his guy for around probably same amount of time as you have had yours and he was devastated that's what killed his perfectly healthy frog, I wouldn't want you to have to go through it too.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm glad your open about it, it may benefit but it certainly won't harm it That's true however ponds have plants and other organisms that will break down waste so I would change it every day if not using filtration to be on the safe side. I'm surprised he/she is fussy as these frogs are just total gannets! I got a book on African bull frogs a few weeks ago by Philippe de Vosjoli and Robert Mailoux, may be of interest to you as it's a very good read and detailed. It's only on Amazon kindle as far as I'm aware but the app can be downloaded onto phones

Thread Information