Thread: Help!!! Gray Tree Frog VERY sick!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help!!! Gray Tree Frog VERY sick!

Hello, I tried to find that list of questions to answer when asking questions about frog health but I couldn't find it so Imma wing it.

Okay, I need some input. I have a gray tree frog (not the versicolor one, the other one). His name is Walter. Walter is technically wild caught; I brought him inside when he was a tadpole back in the summer of 2014. So he has lived in my house for a year and a half. Never had any problems with him. Of the two that I brought inside, he was the "healthy" one. (His tank mate Toby died in May after a long battle with I have no idea).

Here's the deal. This morning when I checked on him, he was at the bottom of the tank trying to climb the wall, but couldn't because his back legs weren't working. He wasn't paralyzed, because if you touched his toes, he would react and try to pull his foot away. This came out of left field. I fed him crickets last night and he was 100% normal from what I could tell. I put him in a hospital tank with some extra warmth and it seemed to help a bit because as the day progressed, he had more control of his legs and could actually pull them under his torso and sit like a normal frog.

This evening, he seemed almost normal so I tried putting him in his tank and he climbed up the glass but his back feet would slip every so often and I thought he might fall so I put him back in the hospital tank. He has again worsened to the point where he crawls around like a walrus with his legs fully extended behind him and his toes are curled (still no fully paralyzed but he seems extremely distressed that the back half of him isn't working properly). He also appears to be bloating a bit now. I tried giving him a warm bath but he wasn't having it. Now he is sitting in the hospital tank like a walrus again. He has a crazy insane appetite so I thought maybe I gave him too many crickets, and he is basically impacted with frog poo to the point that it's pressing on his spine. While he was in his hospital tank a bit ago, he pooped, but it was loose and not the hard plug I was hoping for.

Long story short, gray tree frog, only frog in that viv, this morning had almost complete loss of motor function in the back legs, got a bit better, then back to walrus mode, starting to bloat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Australia]

Default Re: Help!!! Gray Tree Frog VERY sick!

There are so many variations of what could be causing these problems from congenital defects, chemical/heavy metal poisoning, bacterial, parasitic, fungal (chytrid), damage to the spine from falling in his enclosure... There are far too many options and by the sounds of his symptoms, time is not on your side.

At such an advanced stage, you should take him to a veterinarian. No one on the internet is going to be able to give you a conclusive diagnosis without veterinary training, equipment and an examination.

Nationality
    [United States]

Uhhh, shoot. I was hoping because it happened so fast and seems, on and off that it could be a vitamin thing. Thanks for you input though. I'll have to look around for herp vets because at the very least, I want to know what this is.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Have you been giving calcium/vitamin supplements? And UVB?
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

6. This member thanks Diver for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It could very well be a calcium deficiency. The Upland chorus frog I owned lost motor function of her rear legs without calcium as well

8. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [Australia]

Vitamin/Calcium deficiency related paralysis comes on slower and often shows other symptoms such as a loss of appetite, lumps on the spine and difficulty moving which gives you time to action it well before the related and irreversible paralysis sets in.

The sudden onset and the rapid decline in condition over a period of a few hours suggests otherwise.

I hope you've found a herp vet to help you out, they will be your best defence against what ever is ailing your little froggy.

Thread Information