Thread: Pac man hasn't pooped in a while...

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pac man hasn't pooped in a while...

Ok so my pacman eats 3 crickets every 2 days(hes 3 inches). Sometimes one is left over but for the most part he is a good eater. He hasnt pooped in about a month and at this point I am starting to get a little worried. He is on coco fiber with some moss here and there on top of a log that he goes under. Occasionally a piece of moss gets on the floor of the tank but I place it back. Impaction to me seems pretty plausible, but hes pooped before when I thought he may have been impacted. I inspected it and there was no moss present. Maybe he swallowed a piece after that but he keeps eating fine. His temperatures are 75 at day and 70 at night. He gets misted everyday as well. Lately though he hasn't been the greatest eater, with about 2 crickets left over. I had to semi force feed him a pinkie mouse tonight because he hadn't eaten this week. I know its normal for them to not eat but I was worried because he was such a great eater and now he wasn't pooping. Does water edema make the frog not poop? He has a water bowl in his tank 24/7 filled but he doesn't go in it often and he doesn't seem to have the symptoms of it. Does anyone have suggestions? Does a honey bath really work? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pac man hasn't pooped in a while...

Temperatures are on the lower side, you want around 78-84oF during the day. Try placing the frog in some lukewarm water for a while and he'll probably pass it

4. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya the honey bath works but sometimes just a warm a soak will be enough as Jason stated. And again as Jason said you need to get those temps up at least 82F during the day, this is actually a very comfortable range for them. Edema will stop from eating yes, and with edema he will look swollen in legs and sides and looks clear almost and wavey to the touch. You can almost see the water inside the body if gets really bad, I know this because my first pacman ever died from this. Stupid petsmart had him at 75f the whole time they had the poor guy and by the time I caught it, it was to late. And one of the main causes of edema is being housed in to cold of temps for to long. Can you post a picture of the frog. The easiest way to post a picture I find is to upload it to photo hosting site then copy and paste it to your thread. IMO though I think he may just not be digesting fast enough due to low temps.

Nationality
    [United States]

ok heres link to picture. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6R...ew?usp=sharing
    Im soaking him in that bowl right now which is why its a little dirty. I didn't use the honey yet and he's been in for 15 mins so i'm going to take him out(he didn't poop). I definitely did not know that the temps had to be higher, from were I read, 75 was ok. Im sorry about that. What should I use to heat his enclosure? A lamp? because I already have one. What wattage should I use? thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]

By the way when I was inspecting his underside I did not feel any hard masses (besides by his vent/tail, I figured it was supposed to be firm like that). I could feel a bit of the pinkie in his stomach but nothing hard (like from impaction). And also should I just completely get rid of the moss right now? thanks again,

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've read 75 is within their range aswell but the thing is it's at the lower side, it's best having it in the middle or an area of the cage that's in the higher end to prevent disease and help digestion. It's more the high 70s to low 80s you want atleast at one area of the cage for the frog to bask in. On what to use that is entirely upto you, a heat mat or a heat lamp. Most people prefer heat lamps as its the most natural way, in your case you probably won't need a high wattage one, probably less than 50w. Some people are paranoid that moss will cause impaction, yes it will I've learned first hand but if you feed by tongs and use high quality sphagnum moss the chances are very low. I wouldn't worry just now, just raise the temperatures and if he's not got any better in a week or so then we'll need to think further

Nationality
    [United States]

He finally pooped. Thank you.

10. This member thanks DunnDone for this post:

Thread Information