Thread: heating for american toads?

Question heating for american toads?

so I didn't previously have a UTH, I read there was no need for one and my house doesn't get all that cold... but I was wondering if I should get one? I think it would help with digestion and keeping them comfortable

I have concerns though, will a UTH make it too hot or humid?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: heating for american toads?

Active toads that are feeding prefer a body temperature around 80 degrees F. I'm thinking your house doesn't get that warm so your going to need some additional heat, preferably from an overhead heat source.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

A heat mat should be fine, they will get hot and this is why they must always be used with a thermostat. They should also be used on the side as toads burrow, if you put it on the bottom this will confuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    A heat mat should be fine, they will get hot and this is why they must always be used with a thermostat. They should also be used on the side as toads burrow, if you put it on the bottom this will confuse them.
    so attach the UTH to the SIDE of the enclosure? and yeah I do plan on using a thermostat, sorry I forgot to mention that! I have leopard geckos so I know it's important to have a thermostat cause without it it'll get waaay too hot and have fire risks as well as a risk to the animals' health.

Quote Originally Posted by JButera View Post
    Active toads that are feeding prefer a body temperature around 80 degrees F. I'm thinking your house doesn't get that warm so your going to need some additional heat, preferably from an overhead heat source.
    ah yeah, I'll definitely get a UTH then. I don't think they need a light, in fact it would probably just stress them out since it'd be light all the time

Nationality
    [United States]

who said to leave it on all the time? If your running a deep substrate for burrowing then nothing beats an overhead heat source.
    Last edited by JButera; October 13th, 2015 at 12:25 AM.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear that's exactly why but I've seen too many people using them without. IMO I don't think you'd need more heat mat as room temp is normally enough, they don't need to be kept over 70F by what I've read and the temperature at night can go down pretty low. I think you should provide a full spectrum light and even that itself might raise the temperature slightly, so try that before getting the heat mat. If you do need a heat mat, it can be applied to the side or back and should cover no more than half the wall.

Nationality
    [United States]

The problem with no additional heat is there's no 'choices' available to the animal. IMO a proper enclosure for any herp is one that has choices, then the animal gets to decide what it needs.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't own any American toads and haven't read a lot about them so cant really give any input on this one but heres the care article on the site which is a pretty good one from what I understand if you haven't already read it. http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...ytes-Pelobates

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

@Jbutera Good point, you're right but I wouldn't provide a warmer area if temperatures are at the high end to begin with. I must admit I had to open my book to read into the care of this species but I've kept toads and thought I could maybe help a bit in general

Nationality
    [United States]

tbh my toad raising experience ain't much, but I've kept a lot of reptiles and learned that giving *choices* (within reason) seems to be the best practice IMO. Let them get as hot as they want and as cool as they want, the same with them getting really dry or really wet or being visible or invisible. It's probably stupid for me to assume that everyone's room temperature is exactly 70 degrees F but I use that as a control and if that's the case with Stolzieren then I would definitely add some heat based on the numerous papers that state toads prefer a warmer bt when feeding.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Aw yeah, I know what you're saying and I would say that's a good way of doing things as it puts microclimates in the terrarium. Usually the average room temp is around that more or less. Toads do the nightshift and hide most of the day, so I'd imagine would be a lot cooler but it all comes down to the species and what they've adapted to. I'm sure if I were to put one of my local toads in a tank and put a spot a temp of 80f they'd freak out cos it's more like 50-60f here lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Wink Re: heating for american toads?

True about the night shift *not all though* but most come out soon after the sun departs which leaves plenty of warm things behind. In addition many american toads hide under thin layers of leaves and/or burrow under the soil just enough to cover their skin sometimes leaving their eyes exposed. IMO I think they're warming up (overhead heat source) without the risk of drying out or being seen, preparing for an evening of eating & digesting.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How big is the enclosure? I have American toads and kept one successfully last year and she is still going strong right now. A ceramic heat emitter 60 W if the enclosure is big enough could heat the enclosure. Uth gets the enclosure around 2-7 degrees warmer. My WTF tank has one and that's where my info is on that. A ceramic heat emitter if placed well by observing how hot it makes the enclosure could work. No added light. But make sure it's placed far enough away that it hits the temp you want or it can bake the enclosure. I'm using a 100W for a 75 Gallon. Have not yet but I will tonight. It is in a hallway with little heat. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information