Thread: New milk frogs- ill or settling in?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default New milk frogs- ill or settling in?

Hello!

I purchased my first frogs today, two Amazon milk frogs, and I'm absolutely in love. I absolutely love frogs and have been begging to be allowed some for quite sometime. I eventually want to get some dart frogs but wanted to start with something a bit hardier and better for a beginner to hone my skills. I'm not completely new to exotic pets as I have had a leopard gecko and Yemen chameleons in the past.

everything was set up and monitored for the week until I could bring little Salt and Pepper home and they seem to be getting on okay. They are already showing two distinct characters but I am just worried about the smaller of the pair (Pepper). Whilst Salt has been really active and living up to the indulging nature of Milk Frogs (he loves to hunt and has eaten every cricket insight!) Pepper hasn't really seemed to do much. He has moved from the bottom to the top this morning but hasn't seemed to budge since- I even tried feeding with tweezers but he isn't having any of it. Salt is a bit bigger and was jumping across the viv quite happily to eat everything.

i know they are still settling but I just wanted to make sure that this was normal behaviour as being a new Mum to the two I'm just worried about Pepper.

i was thinking of getting some mealworms- as they are easier to hold in the tweasers and may be something Pepper is more interested in- to see if it brightens up his mood. His eyes are clear and he has moved around a little but because Salt had been bounding around all over the place I'm just unsure what to do or what precautions to take.

Salt has two bands whereas Pepper had 1 band and then the second seems like two bits connecting (I'll upload pictures tomorrow as I can't figure out how to do it from my phone)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New milk frogs- ill or settling in?

They may have slightly different personalities, or Pepper may be sick. There's no way to tell just yet. I'd keep a close eye on them. You might need to move Salt out of the tank in order to ensure Pepper gets food.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]So I've been keeping an eye on the pair. Salt is still acting as bold as usual and will hunt during the day as well as eat from tweezers. He has his little spot he likes but ventures around the closer it gets to night time. Pepper is seeming to spend more and more time in just one spot. He won't budge at all- I tried feeding him crickets and mealworms today but he didn't want either- I was patient as I know salt sometimes takes quite sometime to actually decide he wants to pounce on it- but pepper was actively wanting to move away from it and was pushing it away- i stopped because I didn't want to stress the little guy out anymore. [/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I contacted the pet shop I bought them from to express my worry and get some advice from them too and they said to leave him a few days and speak to them if he doesn't improve. The issue is I don't have another viv I can move him to to monitor his feeding, when I was down in the early mornings before its light out I sometimes see pepper down in the bowl- and I used to see him move around a bit in the evenings before I sleep but he's not budging from his spot. All the crickets I'm putting in appear to be eaten for the most part but it may be salts eating then- unless pepper is eating during the times I'm asleep. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]How long should I leave it before I start getting concerned that this isn't just moving stress and he might be sick? I've spoken to a friend with whites and he said one of his frogs wasn't right for 2 weeks until he was comfortable but he was still sparsely taking food from him. [/COLOR]

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Pepper is probably okay, but it's hard to tell. As far as time goes, maybe three weeks with no/minimal eating should be cause for concern- but I'm thinking about White's Tree Frogs here and I'm not an expert.

If you end up needing a cheap emergency tank, you can get a large clear plastic storage bin, cut a hole in the top with an x-acto knife, cover the hole with some form of mesh, using hot glue. Let the glue dry and wash down the bin very well with dechlorinated water.

Thread Information