Thread: cane toad doesn't seem happy

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default cane toad doesn't seem happy

hi all, i got my toad almost 2 months ago and he hasn't done much, just hides and has a panic attack each time i go near his cage. he's been out a few times during the night and early morning but not often. since having him i've only seen him feed once but when put worms in his dish they are gone the next morning. he doesn't seem to bother crickets, so i'm gonna stop giving him them so they don't over run the tank. i've not noticed much poops from him, only two small ones in his water dish. is this all normal? i was under the impression when reading about these guys that they would make good captives but so far out of the many amphibians i've kept, he seems to be worst. so if anyone has kept canes, would be great if you could share your experience with them and offer some tips.

in case anyone asks, i'm housing him in a 3ft exo terra with a 75w infrared heat lamp, temps being around 75-78F and mist the tank up to 2 times a day to keep damp. cage furnishings are kept simple with a cork flat for hide, fake fern plant for extra cover and a big water dish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: cane toad doesn't seem happy

Hi, I don't know much about Cane Toads though I heard the species is pretty bold. That said, there are temperament variations in many species.

I can't tell you if this behavior's normal, but it took my first White's Tree Frog several months to be willing to consistently come out when I was around. It helps if they have several places to hide. Maybe add a little more cover.

Do you know where your toad came from? Was it bred in captivity or from the wild? Maybe it hasn't had much human contact before or had negative contact.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: cane toad doesn't seem happy

yeah, that's what i heard too but my cane is big wimp! i had more cover originally but then decided it would be better for monitoring and feeding with just a simple set up. Cane toads are never captive bred really, so most likely wild caught, i've heard a lot of the ones in the pet trade are from florida. hopefully not, i hate the way some people treat these guys. i understand it can take a while for amphibians to adjust but i've never had problems with them hiding 24/7 and feeding

Thread Information