Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gray Treefrog / Hyla versicolor and H chrysoscelis caresheet

Chelspaz

Default Re: Gray Treefrog / Hyla versicolor and H chrysoscelis caresheet

Cycling seems like a lot of work and is only mentioned under breeding, so if I don't want to breed, do I HAVE to cycle them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Chelspaz

Quote Originally Posted by MsBlueRose View Post
    Feeding in a separate enclosure or container is a good idea if you have any kind of substrate or rocks that they frogs can swallow. Foreign objects in the frogs digestive tract are likely to kill the frog if it causes a blockage, it can even potentially cause a rupture in their abdomen and either way would be a painful way to die if you ask me. I have 7 frogs all together (3 adult greys, 2 grey tadpole and a new grey morph, and a leopard frog tad) and I will never feed my frogs any other way than to feed in a separate container. They still get the thrill of the hunt, but with no chance of ingesting something they were not supposed to eat. I can even feed my greys right from my finger tips, lol. I catch moths that have gotten into my home and hand feed them to my Greys. They love it! They will all 3 jump to my hand and fight over the moth in question if I give them the chance (but I try to avoid that so they don't hurt each other) lol. And by feeding them in a separate container, you can ensure that ALL the frogs are getting the right amount of food. The larger frogs will hunt down all the crickets in the enclosure if you give them the chance and that is not good for them, also the smaller frogs will not get their fair share of the crickets if they have to compete for their meals against the bigger, older frogs. Also the supplements can get rubbed off or knocked off the crickets if you let them run free in the frogs home. Everyone has their own methods of feeding, but I just wanted to share my methods with everyone. Also by feeding in a separate enclosure, your frogs will become accustomed to your handling them and eventually may even want to be let out and handled like mine do. My males like to sit on my laptop with me and chase my cursor. They will sit at the front of the cage and wait for me to walk by at which time they will put their hands on the glass and push their head against the glass trying to get the door to open, lol. If I am not busy I will open the exo-terra and they will jump right over to my hand and walk up to my shoulder, patiently waiting to go to the computer. Once we get there they jump down and climb around on my keyboard and screen until they get tired at which point they return to my arm and make themselves comfortable. I love my Greys. They are so full of personality and, in my opinion, they are the best frogs to keep as pets! Sorry to ramble on, I just love talking about my babies and if my info can help another frog lover then even better. Best Wishes; MsBlueRose
    Your little story is so inspiring for me! I have a few gray and green tadpoles and right now I have 2 green froglets and 1 gray frog. I got these tadpoles from my workplace where they had laid eggs in a cooler full of water. I'm planning on keeping 2 grays. My 1 gray froglet I think senses my insecurities or something because he's quite skiddish with me right now. I guess that is typical as we are both learning how to be frogs, lol. I put him in a closed container, like John suggested, with 3 cultured fruit flies for about an hour and he maybe ate one of them. He's concerning me with how little he is eating but I will NOT give up on him. He seems fine when I put him back in his house.

Also, how old are your guys? I can't wait until mine get full grown. I'm so jealous of how tame yours are also. Mine always wants to escape when I try to get him into his feeding container. Hopefully over time he won't be so scared and will get used to me putting him in his feeding container. (Also my frog has been a frog for about a week, so he's brand new, lol)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

the link to the caresheet is not working for me. It used to work. can anyone check and update this if possible? thanks.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How I access the care guides, is I go to the home page, and next to the news and vivarium articles, there is a care articles button, and once you click it, it will lead you to all of the care guides

6. This member thanks Cliygh and Mia 2 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

thank you. i found it. i will post here in case anyone wants the link quick. http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...e-and-Breeding
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Can a male grey tree frog breed with a female green tree frog? i have found nothing on the web

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They share the same habitat yet I have never heard of a case of a visibly hybrid individual being discovered. I seriously, seriously doubt it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have two wild female Gray Tree frogs I cought about 9 months ago at the time of writing this. They appear to be adults and are not growing noticably. Whenever one of my frogs Leapy, crawls onto my other frog Lovey, Lovey makes a little peep noise like she is saying, "Hey! Get off of me!" Is this normal for a female? Im also second guessing if my frogs are females. They both have speckles under their chin, but not as much and not as striking as Iv'e seen on some males I've caught before but did not keep. They also do not call like males when you hold them by their legs, but they will make a little chirp noise sometimes when the other frog hops on top of her. What conclusion should I come to? Should I visit a professional vet and find out? Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh no! Lovey is now developing a growth or some sort of bulge on her upper thigh! She has just now started limping and letting her leg lay limp. She can still jump very well but walks kind of like a crab now. I am not able to upload images (Seems to be a glitch) The spot is conveiniantly under the orange area of her skin, and I can see throguh with ease. There is a redish brown mark where the bulge is located. The bulge is hard, suggesting a bone fracture. She does not show any signs of pain when the spot is manipulated in any way. Of course, she does not prefer being upside down, but she does ot peep or struggle when i examine the spot. Should bring her handling to a minimum and or consult an exotic vet? Thanks froggers!

Sincerely,
    Granger Krajca (AKA LeapyIsAFrog)

(As of finishing writing this post she is curled up at the base of my computer screen and is now jumping around. She just curled up next to the usb slot of my computer.)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A vet visit might be a good thing to make sure things are okay, but if it is a fracture I don't know that they could give a frog a splint...maybe? I do suggest bringing handling to a minimum though.

Ps: posting to the general part of the "Tree Frog" section, more people might see this.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much! She is resting on a tissue I made into a pillow in the terrarium. I will try to make an appointment. Good thing it's summer, becuase I would not have time to make an appointment! Next time I post I will post in the tree frog section!
    -Granger Krajca (AKA LeaptIsAFrog)

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello there, I currently have 5 baby grey tree frogs. I had 33, they have hardly grown and honestly it pains me to know I've had this many die on me. At first it was due to the weather changing and insects outside being scarce and a lack of a heat source but now they've had heat majority of the time and food every other day. However they do not get Calcium supplements. I'm honestly scared I'm going to give them too much and kill them that way. I really don't want the 5 remaining to die but I'm afraid they will so I'm desperate for any help. Maybe it's a lack of calcium so I was wondering how much a tiny tiny frog would need to be exact. Also is a heating rock going to burn a frog the size of a penny? Also I feed them medium sized cricket parts because pinheads never work out.

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 314
Size:  946.8 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't think it's lack of calcium not at that age. What kind of water do you use, how frequently do you change it, what temperature is the tank? these things might help. Anyhow in the wild a lot of tadpoles don't make it, though you do seem to have a very high die-off rate.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm currently using water from my red-eared slider aquarium. I don't change it, is usually dries up within two days from the heat lamp. I'm not entirely sure how hot the lamp gets.

Nationality
    [United States]

I keep getting a 404 error when clicking on the link to the link for the care and information sheet . Anyone else have this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    How I access the care guides, is I go to the home page, and next to the news and vivarium articles, there is a care articles button, and once you click it, it will lead you to all of the care guides
    This appears broken here as well.

Scott

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

For those interested in assisting their local Gray Tree Frog population to increase, I can help with that. PM me for details. Here are some photos of the main, largest group of froglets from my compound this year (2019): Name:  IMG_0068.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  4.36 MBName:  IMG_0069.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  3.66 MBName:  IMG_0070.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  3.01 MB
    I stopped counting when their number had reached 600 but there were a few late-comers whom I released throughout the Fall. The last 3 went into the arbor in the last week of October.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

This year I had to deal with helgramites feasting on the tadpoles so I scooped the ones I could catch out of the pool cover pond and gave them to some friends who are serious anglers. The dragonfly nymphs get a few each year but they're not as plentiful as the helgramites were this year and they tend to only eat the tadpole tails down to about 1/3 then the tadpoles escape to morph.
    Last edited by KP; November 11th, 2019 at 10:06 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

KP you know only people from PA could accept one gray tree frog unless they apply for a permit to keep more frogs right? It's illegal to keep more then one of any species in the state without a permit so this could really get someone in trouble. I just want to respond so that doesn't happen. This comes up on many places people wanting many specimens but there are laws on native amphibians.

I'm not trying to be negative in any way I just want to make sure everyone is upholding the law of the land. At least in PA.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information