Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Came Home With These

BigBruiserAl

Default Came Home With These

Went to the shop to pick up two baby whites and fell for these two

Exuse the poor pics my camera does not pick up their colours very well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Skulldroog

Default Re: Came Home With These

Nice looking frogs you have there.

Jace

Wow, that last picture is a heartbreaker! I can see why they came home with you-congrats!!

BigBruiserAl

Thanks guys, the shop said they have had them for 4 months and are not very active. I put them in their new home about 1pm and left them in peace, have just put 2 crickets in to see what happens. They lasted 15 secs and the pair of them are bouncing around the tank like a squash ball. I have closed the lights and left them to settle in

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very cute. Congratulations.

Kurt

Interesting Leptopelis you have there. I have no idea what species they are however.

BigBruiserAl

The shop paper work says they are Leptopelis ulugurensis but im prob the least experinced member on this forum so cant confirm.

Kind of off topic, one them is a litle chubby and i noticed when food was offered he/she gobbled both crickets up. Something to worry about or will they share if left on their own

Some better pics

MJI

Nice frogs, Al.

New to the game, and wondering where to source good quality frogs as these look - mind sharing where they were purchased? Happy to travel reasonable way to go somewhere good.

Chaya

wow congrats... yes they do look like ulu's especialy when you can see the spots. Keep an eye on their thorats, if one has any sort of bluish tinge it is a male. Your heavier set one is definitely a girl. She will share food but they are very happy to eat 3 crickets each daily.

Congrats! and good luck if you plan to breed them I am planning to try breed mine if possible as you can see by the photo...they are very cute with their big dinnerplate eyes

BigBruiserAl

Where about you at mate? i got them from in shop in darlington. They have about 10-15 tanks with diff frogs in and they were really helpfull

Chaya

Actually now that i said that... your first photo is DEFINITELY male! so it appears you have both sexes

BigBruiserAl

Quote Originally Posted by Chaya View Post
    Actually now that i said that... your first photo is DEFINITELY male! so it appears you have both sexes

Ah thats great these are my 1st frogs in 20 years so after there settled and mature ill try. seems to be very little info on these guys compared to say whites or darts. Dont suppose any one knows of a fogger is bad for them in any way is it ( breathing ot otherwise)?

I have one set to go of every 10 min of every hour for 6 hours of the day helps keep my humidity at 60% but they love to sit under it

Chaya

based on the ones i have, they dont like humidity much higher than 60% and they really enjoy fresh air. Also, they do like to swim at nighttime if they have the option. Mine run around the glass quite often (i have 3 in a 55 gallon so there is plenty of room)

There isnt much information on them.

I did get a very helpful article from one of the members on here that i can email to you if you PM me your email... it has about all the info i can find

There is only 1 recorded breeding in history in captivity (that doesnt mean there arnt others...but its rare lol)

The females and males are more than happy in groups so if you have the ability to get more go for it. The frogs are considered vulnerable by the IUCN because of deforestation in Tanzania

The calling sounds like a small clack or peep... my male has done it rarely.

How large are yours right now?

IgbyKibbits

I love the pictures that you've shared! Sounds like they were in need of a really good home, and great to hear that they are having such a good time adjusting to their space. Keep the pics coming! They are just too cute!

BigBruiserAl

Quote Originally Posted by Chaya View Post
    I did get a very helpful article from one of the members on here that i can email to you if you PM me your email... it has about all the info i can find

The calling sounds like a small clack or peep... my male has done it rarely.

How large are yours right now?
    have sent you a pm

their about 3-4cm each.

getting a little worried as they have not eaten for days i have put 4 crickets in the glass tub and left them in over night approx 12 hours and no ones eating. The bigger one had 1 cricket on sat night. Are they just stressed with the move or is it the glass bowl you think?

I dont understand they dont hide and even some over for kiss if you put face near the glass

Chaya

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruiserAl View Post
    have sent you a pm

their about 3-4cm each.

getting a little worried as they have not eaten for days i have put 4 crickets in the glass tub and left them in over night approx 12 hours and no ones eating. The bigger one had 1 cricket on sat night. Are they just stressed with the move or is it the glass bowl you think?

I dont understand they dont hide and even some over for kiss if you put face near the glass
    Sounds like they are full grown. The girl may get a little larger.

The first thing i would say is they look like they were fed well in the pet store, so you may have to give them a day or two extra to relax and digest

I was worried your next post would say they weren't eating x.x

Keep a close eye on them. Lepto's seem to get stressed really easy, based off what I and other Ulu owners have noticed, and can sometimes die from it . Keep an eye on the crickets and the weight of your two frogs. If the bones in their backs start to stick out too far you may have to hand feed them but use that ONLY as a last resort..and i mean LAST cause it can stress them out more.

My Ulu's had to be hand fed (excluding the male) for about a month... we THINK they are eating because the crickets are disappearing from the bowl...but it could just be that somehow the crickets are getting out. So we are keeping a good eye on them.

The Ulu's are really sociable to me they seem to enjoy attention and as soon as they see you are more than happy to try get your attention

They are gorgeous frogs... when they stare at you with their huge round eyes, its just amazing. Keep the photos coming when you get more

And here is another care sheet i found

Tanzanian spotted big eye frog Leptopelis uluguruensis

BigBruiserAl

Thanks again. What i found odd is i have just come in from work and both Rib "N" Bit (thats right the wife called them rib and bit lol) hurled them selfs to the my side of the tank and give a big blink like "hi dad"??

The store said they were fed on friday so Rib (female) had 1 criket sunday night and Bit (male) has just eaten 1 we think as we are a criket missing

Man i going to get some darts instead less stresss i think

Chaya

lol thats what i have been thinking lately! lol

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

How are they getting on today Al? I saw you posted over on dendroboard today. Good luck if you decide to get those leucs.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BigBruiserAl

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    How are they getting on today Al? I saw you posted over on dendroboard today. Good luck if you decide to get those leucs.

No change in them im sorry to say. they have had live food in there for 48 hrs and im missing 1 cricket so have taken the bowl out for now. very confused they dont hide in the tank they sleep all day in a very quiet room, they seem very interactive when they awake but wont eat

Off now to buy another 45x45x60 tank for my 2.1 leucs

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information