Thread: Pacman Frogs and Live plants

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pacman Frogs and Live plants

we were given a pacman frog in a rather small enclosure 12x12x18. I have a 55gallon reptile tank I turned into a live plant terrarium, all my plants are either a species of aloe type plant or ferns except for my Ivy and I can't find any info on weather or not they are safe for him. I would LOVE to give him more space.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pacman Frogs and Live plants

Hello, welcome to the forum. I cant say much about the plants because I don't keep live plants but something to keep in mind is that these guys can be very aggressive eaters. I had my big girl get a huge fake plant leaf in her mouth 2 nights ago as she leaped for the worm, I had to sit there for like 5 minutes holding it till she let go so she wouldn't continue to swallow it. If your plants end up being ok to use I don't how long they will live with one of these guys, and they also produce a lot of waste. Big frog equals big poops and big pees. The 55 gallon may to big, that's double of what people would put an adult in, most people the biggest they go is 20 gallon long. He probably wouldn't use all of the space, they can be active as babies but become lumps on a log when they are adults. And the last thing if it is a planted viv is if you have the substrate covered with something he wont be able burrow into he wont like it and will become stressed, this is what they do in the day hours. Mine disappear underground after about 5 minutes of the lights being on and don't see them again till about 10 pm, this would be an hour after lights go out and the temp by this time has dropped a few degrees. Hopefully someone else will see this and tell you if those plants are safe.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you very much any and all input is very appreciated

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cory is right in point! Live plants are usually a bad idea with pacman frogs. For one they will crush everything, not many plants survive in a amount of waste pacs produce, and you need to change substrate every month and water every day.
    pacs don't need the space, they are rock type of frog and get stressed out easily in big cages. For an adult, big frogs 18x18 footprint of a tank is what you should be looking for.

Note: I'm moving this thread in appropriate forum
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information