Thread: FBTs tracking substrate in their water

Default FBTs tracking substrate in their water

The water side keeps getting dirty because of it. Should I try using moss to cover up the substrate? The problem is that the only terrarium moss I have is ugly dead moss that is really loose and stringy and looks like an impaction risk. Is it okay to collect live moss from outside, or could that be toxic/contaminated with chemicals?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: FBTs tracking substrate in their water

Quote Originally Posted by ArtloverHannah View Post
    The water side keeps getting dirty because of it. Should I try using moss to cover up the substrate? The problem is that the only terrarium moss I have is ugly dead moss that is really loose and stringy and looks like an impaction risk. Is it okay to collect live moss from outside, or could that be toxic/contaminated with chemicals?
    Can we see some pictures of the setup?

It's bound to happen as they are active little buggers. Once a week I siphon out a small amount of water removing any debris and noticeable feces with some small tubing and that helps the water stay clean. I wouldn't put anything from outside in your tank as it could contain any number of pesticides or fertilizers that would be harmful to them.

What kind of filter are you using? How much water volume?

Others have suggested they don't really need a lot of soil and I'm learning that mine do not use it much. I avoid alot of soil in my water by using smooth river stone, not gravel, to transition at the shore line and covered most of the soil with s.moss but I do get a spare piece of spagnum in the water which is easy to just pick out if I desire or siphon once a week. I am running two filters which I'm sure helps keep the water clearer but one should be adequate for smaller tanks. Try and keep your moss together and slightly damp and not separated and dry as this will help avoid impaction and give them a cleaner "bed" to move across without bringing a bunch of soil into the water with them.

Hope this helps. I'm still learning as I go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ericbrookey; August 25th, 2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: To clarify, I covered the soil with moss, not the river stones.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

i had live moss and was actually told to buy fake moss because it lasts a lot longer and you will get less mold on it. i also noticed when i used live moss my tank would be dirty within 4 hours of cleaning even with a filter. i currently have no moss and my water is clear and my toads are loving my land area a lot more. Before they would never go on land they would even try to stay in the water to eat but now i am noticing they love both

Quote Originally Posted by Katelyn Forrest View Post
    i had live moss and was actually told to buy fake moss because it lasts a lot longer and you will get less mold on it. i also noticed when i used live moss my tank would be dirty within 4 hours of cleaning even with a filter. i currently have no moss and my water is clear and my toads are loving my land area a lot more. Before they would never go on land they would even try to stay in the water to eat but now i am noticing they love both
    I took all the spagnum moss out and redid the substrate with coco fiber and smooth rocks on top of the soil to help keep it in place and from them tracking too much out. They use the land more often now too as the shade of the plants, smooth rock and soft soil is more appealing to them now I believe. No more impaction risks for sure.

Good move on your change as well. I think it was the right one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thread Information