Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog doesn't want to eat

Default Frog doesn't want to eat

Ok so I got my frog for 11 days already. Previous owner fed my frogs guppies and small frogs for the past 1 year. 3-4times week and 3-5 frogs / guppies per feeding. Ok now here is the problem, on the day First day I got him 22nd July ( day 1 ) he seems very active and all, previous owner kept him in a tank with just sponge and water that's all.. Day 5 I manage to get him to eat 5 crickets after i irritate him for a long time. Today ( day 11 ) I tried crickets but he doesn't seem to be interested so I took him out and put him in a small pail and fed him guppies, after I irritate him awhile, he ate one and that's about it. He keeps hopping away from me and when I put him back in his tank ( I use coconut fibre as beddings) he continues to hop and hide and burrow. May I know if my frog is sick or still hasn't adapt to his new environment?

This is the previous owner's tank. Just a piece of sponge and water.

This is my tank.

This is my pacman. Previous owner kept him about a year.

This is the temperature and humidity.

I honestly don't know what's wrong with him.. Can someone help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Frog doesn't want to eat

Hi Joshua, frogs are very temperamental things as I have learnt through experience. I have found quite a good technique is to darken their set up for a few days and not feed them anything. Usually a dark corner of a room or just blacking out three of the sides (putting some sort of cover over it). Then try and feed him after this time and see if it works! Good luck ps your set up is really nice!

from Hannah

4. 2 members thank FantaTizer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FantaTizer View Post
    Hi Joshua, frogs are very temperamental things as I have learnt through experience. I have found quite a good technique is to darken their set up for a few days and not feed them anything. Usually a dark corner of a room or just blacking out three of the sides (putting some sort of cover over it). Then try and feed him after this time and see if it works! Good luck ps your set up is really nice!

from Hannah
    Thanks Hannah! I cover a piece of black cloth only during night time. I will try your method and see if it works. Thanks again!

6. This member thanks joshua123 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by joshua123 View Post

That's good! I find that after a few days in the dark it then finds anything that moves even more interesting and then it tends to work in making them eat probably just getting used to his new environment too!

from Hannah

9. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

You need to cover three sides of that tank not the top of it, he sees out through the sides not the top. And if he went from a small little setup to what you have with no sides covered so he can see out he is going to stress for a couple days. You really need to cover 3 sides of the tank, for example when I changed my big guy Groot at the start of the month from his tengallon Into a 20 gallon high he buried for 2 days and then after that he would come up but every time I came towards the tank he would get scared and hop off to a corner, and he wasn't doing this is the ten. While this was happening I had 3 sides covered everything was spot on so I was stumped. So I measured the height of the glass on the front of the 10 gallon and lets say it was 12inches don't remember if that's what it was forsure, but anyway the 20 gallon high was like 18inches so I covered 6 inches across the top at the front to match the front of the 10 gallon when he was in it and that night he was back to normal. So I figured he was freaking out because now when he looked out he was able to see so more of the room and me when approaching the tank he really didn't like it. So again covering 3 sides does miracles and I imagine it will help, may not totally solve the problem but it will help a lot.

11. This member thanks monster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    You need to cover three sides of that tank not the top of it, he sees out through the sides not the top. And if he went from a small little setup to what you have with no sides covered so he can see out he is going to stress for a couple days. You really need to cover 3 sides of the tank, for example when I changed my big guy Groot at the start of the month from his tengallon Into a 20 gallon high he buried for 2 days and then after that he would come up but every time I came towards the tank he would get scared and hop off to a corner, and he wasn't doing this is the ten. While this was happening I had 3 sides covered everything was spot on so I was stumped. So I measured the height of the glass on the front of the 10 gallon and lets say it was 12inches don't remember if that's what it was forsure, but anyway the 20 gallon high was like 18inches so I covered 6 inches across the top at the front to match the front of the 10 gallon when he was in it and that night he was back to normal. So I figured he was freaking out because now when he looked out he was able to see so more of the room and me when approaching the tank he really didn't like it. So again covering 3 sides does miracles and I imagine it will help, may not totally solve the problem but it will help a lot.
    Ok I will get sticker to stick it, thanks!

Ok I just saw my frog stretching and eating its own skin, what's the reason for that?

That's just shedding and they are known to eat it, so maybe that's another reason he is stressed or not eating!

from Hannah

15. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

That's just shedding and they are known to eat it, so maybe that's another reason he is stressed or not eating!

from Hannah
    Cool... He looks cute doing all those stretches haha.. Why would they shed anyway?

Most frogs regularly shed skin layers it's very common!

from Hannah

18. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

Quick question for you joshua123- where did you get your long Pac man frog set up?

from Hannah

20. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

Quick question for you joshua123- where did you get your long Pac man frog set up?

from Hannah
    My job is doing signages and some signs requires acrylic so I made use of the acrylic to build my tank

22. 2 members thank joshua123 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Shedding isn't going to stress him out it is a natural occurrence, and the only time it will make him not want to eat is when he is in actual shed. The only way the shed would probably stress him is if your humidity was really low and he was having a hard time getting it off due to being to dry in the tank, from what I understand if there isn't proper humidity it feels like sandpaper going across there back while trying to get it off. My big guy also did a shed lastnight I fed him 3 huge nightcrawlers 5 mins after and he ate everyone of them with like a 3 second feeding response.

24. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I was thinking the same thing about your tank, I wish I had the access to the stuff to build my own. That would be awesome, I would have custom tanks all over my house. L.O.L

26. This member thanks monster for this post:

I was thinking the same thing about your tank, I wish I had the access to the stuff to build my own. That would be awesome, I would have custom tanks all over my house. L.O.L
    If I had known earlier, I would have used black acrylic for the 3 sides instead of transparent haha. I'll use black sticker tomorrow and maybe I will redo a tank in a few months time hehe

My job is doing signages and some signs requires acrylic so I made use of the acrylic to build my tank

Ah it's awesome, would love something like this for mine as looking at upgrading him soon!

from Hannah

29. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

Ah it's awesome, would love something like this for mine as looking at upgrading him soon!

from Hannah
    But the bad thing about acrylic ( using chloroform) is that you can't fill it with water cause it will leak

31. This member thanks joshua123 for this post:

But the bad thing about acrylic ( using chloroform) is that you can't fill it with water cause it will leak

Ah yeah didn't think of that actually! Need to get looking I guess for something

from Hannah

33. This member thanks FantaTizer for this post:

Ah yeah didn't think of that actually! Need to get looking I guess for something

from Hannah
    Last time I kept 4 red ear sliders so I had custom made glass tanks. Now pacman doesn't require water so I use acrylic hehe. I go according to the animal habitat. I try to make things simple n nice as possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information