Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF has Red Leg

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: WTF has Red Leg

Glad to hear there's some improvement. Hopefully it only gets better from here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephanie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frogger00

Thanks guys. I tested his big poo and it was pretty clear, but I did notice a few pinworms. Now, I know that pinworms are normal for a frog to have, but at what time would it be bad enough that it requires treatment? He's not losing any weight, he actually gained 3 grams. He also ate another cricket tonight. I tried offering him more food, but it stressed him out and his legs reddened up. His legs tend to turn red only when he's stressed now, so at least they are not red constantly anymore. Finally some improvement, I was getting worried that he wouldn't make it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frogger00

Update. He's doing better! He ate last night again, and showed much more enthusiasm. He's also trying to get out of him bath now... When I first started the treatment he would just sit there. Then, I had to put a lid over the dish to keep him in. Now, he will push the lid right off so I have to put something heavy on the lid! He hasn't been croaking lately though...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well still sounds like good newa

Stephanie

6. This member thanks Snappi13 for this post:

Frogger00

Great news!! He ate again, two nights in a row! Compared to once every 5 days, I'm very pleased. His legs are really calming down, only getting a bit red when he's handled. He croaked for a long time tonight, haven't heard that in a while. And what's really made me happy is that he was being active!! Actually out climbing on the walls and going in his water dish voluntarily. I'm so glad. I think he's going to make it!

8. 2 members thank Frogger00 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Good deal! Rooting for the little guy!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

10. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear we have a hungry froggy! That's a great sign of improvement. Hope he makes a full recovery soon

Stephanie

12. This member thanks Snappi13 for this post:

Frogger00

He's still making improvement! He croaked a ton yesterday, quite comical. Refused food last night, but he ate today! I offered a second, but he wouldn't take it. He's very fussy when it comes to eating. They have to be large crickets, loose in the cage, and in total privacy. I've only actually seen him eat once. I know he's eating though, his cage is so minimal there is nowhere for the crickets to go. The baths are really helping. His legs are really clearing up, only reddening if he is handled for more than a minute. I'm glad he 'passed' his fecal float. I don't know who breeds whites around here, but most are cb. A lot of snowflakes, Browns and blue eyeds. Anyways, I'm thinking it will be another month or two before I can say Oliver is fully recovered, but he's improving fast so here's hoping!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's great news!! So nice to see Oliver is feeling better

Stephanie

Frogger00

Unfortunately, Oliver isn't making much improvement. The baths are suggested to go on for 2 weeks, but I've been treating him for at least three weeks now and his legs are still quite red. I think it's time to start another treatment, because this one isn't going anywhere. I would like to try colloidal silver, it's completely natural and has had a huge success rate in treating infections.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is Oliver still eating?

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by Cliygh and Mia 2 View Post
    Is Oliver still eating?
    He has been eating almost everyday, but his night light broke 3 nights ago so it's messing up his schedule. He hasn't eaten in 3 days, but it's no big concern.

18. This member thanks Frogger00 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear this. I hope your new treatment helps. I didn't know you could use colloidal silver for things like this. Do you soak the frog in it?

Stephanie

Frogger00

Well I did the colloidal silver last night, and this afternoon I took him out and within 30 seconds his legs and belly were fire engine red! It was actually quite shocking to see, poor guy I'm really worried about him, does anyone have any suggestions?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm exhausted from "safe-side treating" my crew for Chytrid (only 2nd time I've had to sit down ALL day since I started treating them after lunch and bleaching the devil out of everything in sight) so I haven't picked up on all the past posts, but did you ever get him tested to make sure it is for sure red leg? I personally wouldn't use colodial silver, have heard it actually makes healing time take longer. Guh my mind is gone, I was going to ask something else and completely forgot what it was... :/

Anyone who says it is "easy" to treat a collection for Chytrid, which includes hard core cleaning/disinfecting of everything EVERY day has either not done it, has people helping them, or has the endurance of an Ox... >_<

Oh, have you tried Melafix? I really don't think you should be trying things on guess work though, you really have to know exactly what you're dealing with. Hope he does better for you asap!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Frogger00

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    I'm exhausted from "safe-side treating" my crew for Chytrid (only 2nd time I've had to sit down ALL day since I started treating them after lunch and bleaching the devil out of everything in sight) so I haven't picked up on all the past posts, but did you ever get him tested to make sure it is for sure red leg? I personally wouldn't use colodial silver, have heard it actually makes healing time take longer. Guh my mind is gone, I was going to ask something else and completely forgot what it was... :/

Anyone who says it is "easy" to treat a collection for Chytrid, which includes hard core cleaning/disinfecting of everything EVERY day has ever not done it, has people helping them, or has the endurance of an Ox... >_<
    I never did get him tested, I think that if I were to take him to a vet he would die of stress. And, what can a vet do besides tell me what I already know? Whatever it is, it is definitely worsened by stress. I will absolutely not be using colloidal silver again, after the reaction he had to it.

Definitely agree with treating frogs for any illness, it takes forever! To treat Oliver every night is a good half hour, I can't imagine treating more...

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Could you lower the temperatures a little? This may or may not be true, but I heard that red-leg goes away (Or at least makes improvement) in cooler temperatures. But I'm not sure how a White's tree-frog would handle low temperatures...

Frogger00

Alright everyone, so I took the plunge and tried the melafix(turtle fix). It's working wonders so far! "Melafix" is actually just tea tree extract, so it's 100% natural and is used to treat, well, reddening of the skin. What I did was add one drop of the melafix to his water dish and placed him in the dish while dripping the solution over his back for ten minutes. After I removed him, his legs were a subtle pink. Of course, the longer I hold him the redder they get, but I was pretty impressed. the only weird thing it did was make his belly skin a bit wrinkly...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

One drop is quite a big for one dish of water, I would have diluted it more, but using it's guess work with frogs anyway. Are you rinsing him with clear fresh water afterwards? That's important. I'd check with RAL laboratories and see if they have a swab test for red-leg. Of course with all the treatment so far who knows if anything would show. Does he still have open sores?

I don't know how I'm managing with my collection of 7... can you imagine treating a commercial facility full of frogs?? :/
    Mom to these fine frogs!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

As above, I think a swab would be the next step. A vet could prescribe the specific medication based on the outcome.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

27. 2 members thank Diver for this post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information