Thread: Pixie Frog Growl/bark?

Default Pixie Frog Growl/bark?

Hi all, I went to pick my frog up to clean his/her tank and he made a loud growl that I would say sounded like a small yappy dog or yeeeeeeerp. Is that typical of them? I'll try to get pictures up in a few hours.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Pixie Frog Growl/bark?

Here are some pictures. Jabba the Gut is 4in long and mean as hell. Is he a male or female. Based on the other threads, he looks male to me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks like a male to me, knowing he us pretty big and if he was growled it is normal. Males tend to have a kind of "mooo" noise and What you are probably describing is a growl from the male

I moved him into my room today and hes making what sound like squeaks/clicking sounds. Looks like he is trying to croak.

Nationality
    [United States]

This necessarily may not be a croaking hes doing, he could be sick or have an injury. Maybe you could post a picture of your tank set up? Also make sure you are using non-chlorinated water, this could lead to sickness or digestion problems if you are using chlorinated water. Other wise he looks pretty healthy to me and possible grow really big if it is a male!
    Last edited by PixieZilla; April 29th, 2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: More information

I have the coconut bedding and had put zoo med terrarium moss in it today. It made the entire floor of my house smell so I go rid of it. I'm guessing it was that. For the water, I have zoo med reptisafe.

Nationality
    [United States]

Your bedding it looks as if it has like coconut chips that might be irritating his skin, try to buy the coconut bricks at your local Pet smart or pet co with Completely grinded coconut shreds not chips. I also suggest having a bigger tank know that your frog is growing but you don't have to.

I'll change it tomorrow. The moss made it smell too. The tank is a lot bigger than that image makes it look like but I do plan on putting him in one of my 20 long tanks.

Well he liked the coconut fiber so much that I heard him croak. Guess that settles it that hes a male.

babyBriBri

Mine will sometimes do that if he's in his hide and I take him out to feed him (I feed him in a separate tank). To me, it seems more along the lines of "leave me aloneeee."

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That sounds like a 'release call'....i.e. he is saying "hands off!". Cool!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yeah! The puffed up stance is saying just that, too. If you lived (naturally) in an environment with hyenas, wild dogs, ratels, meerkats, etc. and other high-end African land mammals, you may learn to 'stand your ground' [metaphorically speaking, in evolutionary terms] as Pyxicephalus has. This is what makes this frog *absolutely* unique among all frogs.....its aggressive, and will not hesitate to bite when defending its tadpoles [size helps, of course...]. I love em!!!!

Here are a couple more of him/her. I tried to get a shot of its foot to look for the pads but I can't tell.

Also what I thought was a croak was his/her feet squeaking against the glass. Based on other threads, I see both female and male traits. Guess I'll have to wait til it gets bigger.

Thread Information