Thread: Pac man mommy is new to this!

Meghan Smith

Question Pac man mommy is new to this!

hello all, I was just curious what to look for for impaction.... my husband seems to be worried because I havent seen poop... we have had our beloved spot for about a month...have no idea about the previous owners or how old he/she is... but he has doubled in size (head, everything) since bringing home. the one time I saw poop it was in a hole he dug for himself. he seems 100% fine... but thought Iwould check here... he eats five night crawlers every 4 days... he comes out to the window everynight and barries himself during the day... when he slows down eating I quit feeding...although he eats the fiber if we dont feed him when he demands it lol I recently began dusting his worms in calcium... but am not sure if this needs to be done every feeding etc... I have never owned a frog but have done some research much to my dissapointment because there isnt very much clear information out there on how much to feed or when... he always wants to eat and is active... he is on a 12/12 schedule with temps of 80 and humidity between 60-80 coconut fiber substrate 25 gal tank... he seems happy and healthy just wanted some feedback if I should feed less often etc... and what to look for. the photos are a growth progression over the last month or so... the last photo was taken a couple days ago.... any advice imput etc... would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pac man mommy is new to this!

Welcome!

I don't have too much to offer you at the moment. We got our pacman a week ago today, so I'm no expert. After reading your post and seeing the pics, everything looks fine.

I've seen three doodies this past week, and one was in his previous hole. Its possible that there may be more that have gotten buried by your guy digging around.

There's a few key people here that are great at answering questions.

Until then, look for this book
    I read through it a couple months back while researching these frogs. I got it again just today, and reading it after having the frog makes a huge difference.

Its a great reference book, and everyone on here are good people and will chime in soon with advice

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi, the first thing I notice is the moss in your tank, you need to take this out because it is a huge impaction risk. Which means the intestine gets blocked and the poop cant pass. If you notice he moves from one hole to another check the previous hole, some of them poop in the hole instead of on top of the substrate and this will make them move. If you feel the right side of his body does it feel hard? If so he is impacted, and you could put about 4 drops of pure honey into some warm 80f declorinated tap water or spring water and let him soak in this for about 20 mins. After this just make a warm normal bath again with declorinator and let him soak in this for about 15-20 mins to rinse the honey off, and the water should be no higher then the chin. If he doesn't poop watch him when you put him back in his enclosure because he may wait till he is in there to go. And when you do the bath put him somewere quiet and you can put a towel or something over the container to help hold the heat in. And again if he hasnt went in awhile there is good a chance he has eaten some of that moss.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you feed it in that cage? If you do there is a risk for impaction because they can accidentally eat the moss. If you want to keep the moss I suggest feeding in a separate cage. If you want to feed in the cage then take out the moss
    It's very cute by the way.

Nationality
    [United States]

Monster and Emily1 hit the nail on the head. I should have noticed the moss, but like I said, I'm VERY new also. One thing that I do with all my frogs is hand feed them. This helps remove the risk of impaction almost to zero

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you say he eats the substrate when he demands food I would IMO totally remove the moss.

Meghan Smith

first off thanks for all your comments... spot (the pacman above) I assume will be just fine... his right side is soft not hard... also let me clarify... at times eats the coconut fiber.... NOT THE MOSS!!! And yes we feed in his cage... he apparently likes where he is I wasnt super nervous of impaction was just curious of the warning signs as I am a new frog mom... also as I have seen numerous replies on other posts saying do your research before buying your pet.... this is my son's frog... he and his dad (used to keep snakes and lizards)... but is often not available for help with our pet.

Sometimes the poop will be small if their on a staple of large soft worms. I came across that when digging mine out of his burrow to clean his cage of couldn't tell feces from coconut fiber. My big guy eats up to 6 night crawlers a week and doesn't produce the large feces as when I feed him the rare treat of a thawed mouse.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi Megan, welcome to the forums!

you pac is just fine impacted frog won't eat, yours is completely the opposite. Cory gave you an excellent advise ( as always

and yes yes you are doing exactly what you should - as much as it can eat per feeding every day, he will probably slow down though soon, you'll see.

dusting schedule - ca/vitd3 every second feeding, multivitamins - once a week. It can look like that: mon/wed/fri - ca/d3, sun multi.

as it was pointed out already : moss, it has to go, even if you don't feed on it, a frog can ingest while shedding.
    also light, it seems too bright, you can't use bright light or uvb for albino.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Meghan Smith

thanks again for the replies... the current lighting is 2- 75w black heat bulbs and 1- 13w natural cfl and 1 13w reptile vision cfl... this keeps his temps in the 80's... along with the heat matt on the side of the 25gal tank... his humidity stays right around 80 as well... all lights, heating and misters are on timers and cycles...I have read of placing plants under the lighting to divert light... I dont know though... we are kinda trial and erroring it right now... btw the really bright ones were taken during the day in a room full of light, due to french doors... also as these were takin with a cell phone... lighting is often distorted. At this point I am more concerned with when how much etc to feed along with vitamin and calcium schedule... someone posted one... thank you... he eats every 4 days... is this not enough... too much... I dont want him to become over weight... also lighting... is there better lighting for him? thanks for all the advice everyone!
    current lighting

this is the moss everyone is dead set on me getting rid of... you could see my confusion right... will probably keep it for now as our frog seems to enjoy burrying himself in it... sorry thanks for the advice though.
    extra lighting

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, these bulbs gotta go, I don't think repti vision has uvb, need to look, but they definitely too bright. Ambient room light is more then enough for albino, they are very sensitive to uvb, sunlight, any bright light really. It's like albino human or very fair skinned one going out without sunscreen, but unlike in people developing melanoma, albino will become blind first, skin damage second.

Last pic - all of it gotta go too. If you want some light, get soft light cfl 13w

supplements are all right, I personally prefer repashy kind, they are more fine dust, but yours are pretty good too. You also need separate multivitamin powder.

exo earth and plantation soil is what you need, but if you can get it in bricks, it's a bit more cost efficient

night light is all right, but infrared lamps and ceramic heaters are better, may be smth to consider when that one will die.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Meghan Smith

THANKS Lija... could you suggest brands and wattage? I need the heat lamps on all the time as our home seems cooler than most.... I was reading that they need a reptisun 2.0 for daytime light... daylight blue/nightlight red heaters.... but the reds can be used all day... in theory could I change out my black heat bulbs for red and my 2- 13w cfls to 2-reptisun 2.0's? he is now in a very dark room which we keep lights off as much as possible... I think his tank needs lights... just not sure on the proper set up as we have been trial and erroring it at this point... also Im not sure as to what you mean "may be smth to consider when that one will die." to be honest I dont know how old he is... or how long he will live but hopefully pretty long!

Meghan Smith

Also I was curious... what does every one feed them? I dont think mice are an option for me so... that being said what should a weeks worth of meals look like? I am only feeding him 5 nightcrawlers with calcium on them... every 4 days... too much? not enough? he would eat everyday if I let him Im sure... should I be giving him cricuts and such? gold fish? also are petco gold fish good? how do I feed him these... how often etc.... I really am just trying to do what is right for this frog whom I have become pretty attached too.(as I am his primary caregiver), my son is 4 and his daddy is on the road most of the time... so its just me... and lots of questions.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If you really want to do it properly and headache free for you get following:
    - ceramic heat emitter ( will last forewer or close to it lol), or infrared heat lamp, any brand, exo terra is most common in stores.
    - fogger ( or modify regular home ultrasonic humidifier)
    - hydroterm (50$) ebay or Amazon, it's a controller.

now plug the first two into hydroterm and forget about humidity and temps, that thing will do it all for you. You do not need anything else.

Light, cheap cfp is the best soft light one, more dim. No need for anything specific or expensive, repti sun is uvb lamp = no go for albino. And yes he needs some sort of light source to know when it's a day when night.

when it'll die I was referring to your night lamp sorry

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan Smith View Post
    Also I was curious... what does every one feed them? I dont think mice are an option for me so... that being said what should a weeks worth of meals look like? I am only feeding him 5 nightcrawlers with calcium on them... every 4 days... too much? not enough? he would eat everyday if I let him Im sure... should I be giving him cricuts and such? gold fish? also are petco gold fish good? how do I feed him these... how often etc.... I really am just trying to do what is right for this frog whom I have become pretty attached too.(as I am his primary caregiver), my son is 4 and his daddy is on the road most of the time... so its just me... and lots of questions.

No prob, ask as many qs as you like, if you are not sure, need clarification same applies
    feed as much as s/he can eat per feeding every day... And yeah I know the amount of food that will be consumed is really crazy it will slow down as s/he grows.

Nightcrawlers, dubia roaches are the best staple foods. for variety as a treat you can do one hornworm at a time, pacman food ( powdered, you mix it with water), mice ( no more then one per month), silversides ( sold frozen).

gold fish are a big no for pacs, they contain big quantities of thiaminase that contributes to shirt tongue development( vitA deficiency) as well usually they have tons of parasites.

Meghan Smith

Lija both bulbs are UVA! Also I should have clarified his system is ALL automated... he has a exoterra fogger his lights are on cycle controllers as well... the only thing I do is clean, feed and change water!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi Meghan, if there is a light in that room he is in if you leave it on 12hrs and 12hrs off it will work for albino. Not saying not to get an extra light if that's what your thinking but I was having second thoughts about if the room light would be enough or if I needed supplemental light, what lights were ok because he is albino and I decided to just stick with the light in the ceiling from the room and all has been good. I turn it off at 9pm and he comes out and I do get abit light from the window but not a lot so he is usually already sleeping or just getting ready when I go turn the light back on at 9am. All I have in the ceiling is 2 normal 60 watt bulbs. And I use under tank heaters on the side, and that hydrotherm thing is amazing, just got mine in Friday and I love the thing.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Disregard the part about the hydrotherm if yours is already hooked up to something similar, I was typing while you put up that last post.

Meghan Smith

I turned the 13w natural light off... leaving 2 black heat lights and the 13w reptile vision uva cfl... we have over 9 ft ceilings and that room has one lightbulb in an antique fixture... also may have morning light sometimes but we are in oregon sooo... that is never garunteed... sometimes he will have light from other room... but again not garunteed... so that being said Im kinda thinking of just buying the red light heat bulbs and trying this out for a bit as the "sun" is only on 1 side of the tank at this point... would give him a chance to stay outta the light if he wanted... also, he has things to hide under to get more speckled light, but he chooses right under them... burys himself and stays there all day...I would think if it bothered him he would go under the plants etc. We also have a zoomed heater on a thermostat strapped to the side... we dont use undertank heat.

Nationality
    [Canada]

My undertank heaters are on the side and I will be honest it was a pain to reach my temps. Alot people don't use bulbs I think because they say they are to drying but you got that reptifogger so that wont be a problem for you, And ya I had to go out and buy abit higher stand to put my tank on so he could get enough light. My pacman Im getting soon will be getting a ceramic heat emitter. Enjoy your new froggy, I got one last year at the end of august and im hooked now.

Thread Information