[United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 75 Gallon Vivarium build

King just wanted to hangout and soak for his birthday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Slowly sorting through page after page and wow what a project man. Awesome job, look forward to finishing my read through and watching this continue to grow.

6. This member thanks plu7o for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm pleased to say I'll be working on my 55 Gallon Paludarium before this build, but I will have the Leopard Frog before the Vivarium gets updated. The 55 Gallon never got the chance this build did, so after 3 years it's only fair it goes first. The tadpole and King and the enclosure itself will get coverage as usual! Updates coming! Could this be the Leopard Frog for the 75 Gallon?

8. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Someone is having s great Memorial Day! I've never seen King as accurate hunting until these past few days. I can't wait to rebuild this. The tadpole became a Green Frog which I'm indifferent on. If it's a male it will be the next frog in the enclosure, but if a female then I have to release it because it will attempt to eat King.

10. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have finally documented the Green Frog feeding for just the 3rd time so far and give a short clip of King perched above his log hide. Checkout the whole channel and subscribe! The 55 Gallon Paludarium videos will be out first because it's getting created, but after that this enclosure gets a makeover and hopefully for years to come.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...rp6P3T0hqJjpe8

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

couldnt help but see King posing for a picture so I had too

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

One of the most interesting pieces coming to this when it's updated is a waterfall. I will have a water feature for the frog of course, but I'm hoping this will actually encourage the toads to lay in it like a water dish. They don't like the large bins so hopefully this will give the toads a water source as well. I did a follow up with King's stool and the tests came back that he is clean! No parasites at all and no problems! No news on the baby green frog yet whether it's a male or female. Let's hope it's a male! More updates on the way.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default 75 Gallon Vivarium build

I have some of the best news. I have found the new female toad for the Woods.
    Not only did I find one female, I found 2. They are ferocious and very trusting at the same time. When I fed them it was like the colored toad was an off spring related to my firs toad Toto. She is very similar. The smaller toad is similar to my recently passed toad Vinca. So now King will have 2 wives and hopefully the little Green Frog is a male!
    So far I have
    King II
    Pious (smaller and shyer female toad)
    Ace (hopefully baby Green Frog)
    And the featured toad unnamed because she was unplanned for. As you can see I'm going with a type of monarchy and religious type of names with King and Pious, so if you have some interesting names fitting this post them! Remember it is a female toad!

15. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

King's wives? Are you planning to breed them?

17. This member thanks daybr4ke for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    King's wives? Are you planning to breed them?
    I have seen some interesting options on inducing breeding and I started this build specifically to produce frogs, toads, insects, and even plants to my local ecosystem but have had a hard time with sustaining a pair. I had leopard frogs and this build is more designed for them, but I got a Green Frog by mistake and assumed it is a male I cannot keep a female because the female would try to eat King (male toad who is smallest in tank) so it will have 3 toad roommates or will be released to my parents pond with the other frogs. If I can get the toads to breed I would love to do so and I want to see now being over 2 years if King still would. If the frog gets let go then I'll look at Leopard Frogs or Wood Frogs which would be sexed pairs.

I didn't read every page so I may have missed this, but are there any toxicity risks in keeping toads with frogs? I actually have both of those species and was planning on doing a huge paludarium for the leos anyway; it'd be awesome if I could keep the toads in there as well. Yours looks amazing!

20. This member thanks KittyKatMe for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKatMe View Post
    I didn't read every page so I may have missed this, but are there any toxicity risks in keeping toads with frogs? I actually have both of those species and was planning on doing a huge paludarium for the leos anyway; it'd be awesome if I could keep the toads in there as well. Yours looks amazing!
    Thanks! It depends on how many frogs and toads along with the sexes and size of the tank. The Toads may not do well in a paludarium but the Leopard Frogs like coming on land more than any other pond frog. As long as they have 3-4 inches deep and can swim around they will do great. If you have more female leopard frogs it may be a problem because they are bigger and more territorial so if you have like a 125+ gallon you can have 2 females and a few toads. The reason is to let the species get away from each other if needed. I never had a female frog in this setup but I can tell you 75 gallons if you want an authentic feel is good for 3 between toads and leopards. You may be able to do 4 which is what I had hoped, but I'm not anymore so you could attempt that. The Toads only let off the toxin if threatened and I've never seen a toad use it. I also used judgment not putting a small toad that could be eaten by a big frog together. I asked an expert and did 2 years of research on both and if a big tank is supplied, I believe this is the most rewarding and natural mix of any frogs and toads possible because they cohabitate, are easily adaptable to humidity and temperatures, get the same size, come into contact in the wild, and don't mind either ones presence. I hope this helps, I wouldn't put my toads in a paludarium but the frogs can be in a 3-1 land to water ratio. I have videos on my YouTube page of my last two attempts. I'm going to be updating this tank in the next few months.

Here is the last video of my enclosure
    https://youtu.be/fwFoQPKryo0

22. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This female toad without a name is becoming one of the most interesting of the animals. She's been in my care for 4 days and hasn't just adjusted to living in captivity, but is thriving on it. She's becoming a star before getting to the 75 Gallon. If you have a name related to the topics of religion or monarchy for a female please share! Here she is from last night attacking a worm.
    https://youtu.be/Znpwe2U7pG8

24. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have finally decided what species will be joining the American Toads in the PA Woods. I am pleased to announce that a pair of Wood Frogs will be in the 2017 build I'm hopeful it will be a sexed pair and yes I will try and breed them. I think that's the way to go with these frogs. This enclosure is built to support Wood Frogs and Leopard Frogs. I am pleased to announce that the female toads and these frogs will be examined before joining King in the new build. There is no time table for getting all 4 new animals in the build. They will be examined one by one until they go in. The names of the inhabitants are
    King II (Male Toad)
    Pious (Female Toad)
    Unnamed (Female Toad)
    Pharaoh (Male Wood Frog)
    Ace (Female Wood Frog)

You can still comment a name for the one female toad. Please try to keep it in the same gist as the other names! I'll post pics when I get them.

In plants news:
    I got a dwarf Japanese fern which is going to go in the build with more pachysandra to replace the myrtle.
    In other news the Iris I have in the water that survived the winter and is thriving... is a Day Lilly and it has done self maintenance so I haven't needed to cut it back. Who knew a Day Lilly could be a pond plant? It's staying a solid 18 inches tall now for 10 months.

26. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm sure you are all wondering what happened to the Green Frog? Why Wood Frogs when they are hard to care for? Are you planning to breed both species?
    As the baby frog matures it resembles a female more and more and I could not keep one. I thought about having 3 toads and possibly one Green or Leopard Frog and I didn't think it was fair with species balancing, so I thought of the frog who was well suited for this build because the Wood Frog is the most compatible with the American Toad as well as smaller then all other pond frogs close by, so it was very important not to over populate the woods because it would lose its natural appeal. These frogs are very communal which will mean they will be very peaceful towards the Toads. I'm switching rooms for this tank so I can keep the temp in the mid 70's to high 60's because I know they require cool temps. I'm sad by the lifespan being around 5-7 years and in captivity I hear around 2-3. This is the reason I would hibernate them to reduce stress, to increase lifespan, and with them living shorter lives breeding them to continue them is the key. While I'm breeding them I'll attempt to do the same with the Toads as well so it benefits the toads in this case. I will be breeding a few things so they will have a constant supply of food, I have a 75 Gallon so all 5 of the animals will have plenty of space with the size they are. It will be heavily planted will have a water feature and plenty of hides. I have the environment and diet down for these frogs and I'll be very careful and over cautious for these guys. This will be to my knowledge a long and thorough study on Wood Frogs with videos and success and failure so it will be very helpful. So if you read this thread you will be informed on American Toads Northern Leopard Frogs Perennials overwinter a mixed species vivarium going right and breeding insects like woodlice earthworms and crickets. Now you can see information for Wood Frogs. I'm not sure what I should feed the frogs because I read they don't do well with earthworms and waxworms but they are along with crickets the main part of my toads diet. I am concerned how to feed outside of Roaches Crickets and such, but I'll make a thread asking for help in the Frogs topic so if you know you can post here or on there when I ask. I'm expecting this to be quite the experience. The baby frog might have found a good home with an experienced friend. So it all worked out for the best! I'll show you guys when I get them Pharaoh and Ace.

28. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A major setback.

So the place I was getting the Wood Frogs from ran out of them and my order was cut off. They are still a possibility for this enclosure as I spent so much time on them studying and everything, but I've been in talks with someone who pitched a very good argument that my setup will be good for Five Lined Skinks all I need is a heat source (which I have). They do live longer, are easier to care for with how stressed the frogs can get, and will be out when the Toads sleep. So the woods will be occupied all hours of the day. The pitch was very interesting and because I have 3 toads I can't get Leopard Frogs. I researched Five Lined Skinks as well so I know them a little better then Wood Frogs. I would get a pair of Skinks of Wood Frogs. I'll have my decision and post it by Thursday night. I have a name for the unnamed toad. I'm going to name her Ace and think of another name for the female of whichever species gets added.
    On a side note: Ace is continuing to impress me with her boldness.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Another major setback
    My Monsoon Misting System became defective and won't work. This is a major problem because I have 2 big tanks that now need hand sprayed. I just ordered the starter kit from mistaking but it has one nozzle to start so I have to live with that for a little while. I'm not sure how many I'll need but I'm thinking 4-5 at least with it being a 75 Gallon setup. I'm glad I got the mist king, but it had to come at one of the worst times. I'm just about finished with the updated version of this build but I'm going to wait to post anything about it picture and video wise until I get the other toads in. So with having to get a new mister it's going to push back the other species of animals a week or so. I am hoping to add a pair of Five Lined Skinks to this setup. I was hoping for Wood Frogs but I began to see how the Skinks fit more into this build then the frogs. So if all goes well I will get the Skinks but first things first and that's a mister

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

https://youtu.be/9p1Jy2rnBss

Here are the females going to join King II in his 75 Gallon PA Woods Vivarium check them out! Pious is the brown colored one on the hide and Ace is the bigger grayish one closest to me

32. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread Information