Thread: considering redesigning my fbt habitat

Default considering redesigning my fbt habitat

I have 3 FBTs that I got a little over a month ago.They are currently living a 10 gallon terrarium with a water dish, which I knowisn’t a very good setup, but the terrarium wasn’t designed to be filled withwater. I did some research and found out that having it be a semi-aquatic setupwith a few inches of water would be okay, so now I want to redesign my FBT habitat to be a 50/50 setup with a land/water divider. DO you think that’s agood idea to redesign it? The problem is putting a land/water divider in would take several days for the silicone to dry and all that, and all I have to keep the frogs in for those few days is a tiny plastic terrarium. Would it be okayto keep them there for a few days while I’m redesigning their habitat?

here are some photos of m current FBT habitat

Here is a computer generated model I made of what my FBThabitat would look like if I redesigned it. This is NOT a photo.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: considering redesigning my fbt habitat

Could someone please reply?

I know those silicone dividers look cool, but I hear they're notorious for leaking. And keeping them in a "tiny plastic terrarium" probably isn't the best idea.

I would recommend a different setup. First option could be to fill the entire bottom of the tank with about an inch or two of water. When I did this set up, I put in some river rocks and slate tile with various fake plants. They seemed to enjoy it.

Or you could do a set up like the one I have right now. This would work best for you if you don't want a water setup.

I also couldn't fill the bottom of my tank with water, due to a leak. So I decided to go with a water bowl. Only instead of using a small pet store bowl, I used a large plastic dish. It just barley fits into my ten gallon tank. From there I threw in some decor and did what I could. I put a small stack of slate tile in the center of the water dish. Food goes there and they eat right in the water. They've learned to sit on the tile island when they want food. (As you can see in the picture)

Anyway, your idea seems pretty solid. I just know they have a habit of leaking. Whatever setup you go with, just make sure they have plenty of shallow water.

Default considering redesigning my fbt habitat

The problem with the dividers is that there is a crucial weak point. The seal where the bottom corners meet the tanks original silicone seal. Silicone won't adhere to previously cited silicone, so over time, that starts leaking. A false bottom or drainage layer would work better.

As far as keeping them out of the tank for a few days, you could always use a cheapo plastic bin for a qt tank.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

thanks for your advice, but I think I'm still going to do the divider setup. Several frog owners have done them successfully. @kickinwing I can't find a bigger water dish, and I doubt the tank could support enough water to fill the entire bottom. BTW if your tank is leaky you could probably patch it up with silicone. @deranged chipmunk That's a good idea to use a plastic bin as a temporary enclosure. I will do that.

Nationality
    [United States]

The way I get around the semi aquatic setup with my bullfrog is to put a layer of rocks up as high as you want the water on one side (your land) then fill up the water, next put the substrate and decor on top of the rocks. pdf tank.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    The problem with the dividers is that there is a crucial weak point. The seal where the bottom corners meet the tanks original silicone seal. Silicone won't adhere to previously cited silicone, so over time, that starts leaking. A false bottom or drainage layer would work better.

As far as keeping them out of the tank for a few days, you could always use a cheapo plastic bin for a qt tank.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    What kind of lid should I use on the bin? (I'm finally getting around to doing this after a ton of procrastination)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I cant wait to see what you come up with! My 10 are in a planted viv so it was a 1 time shot, all i get to do is play with plants lol.

Something like a few gallon tote(tall enough they cant climb out) and a hole lopped in the lid for lights, add bedding and the water bowl.

Thread Information