Thread: Just found Egg sacks in my tank! need some advice

Evil Papa Smurf

Default Just found Egg sacks in my tank! need some advice

Hi guys!
    I have had my 4 FBT's in a 50 gallon breeder viv for a few months now. everything is great. Healthy ,Active and now I just found out Breeding! upon doing our nightly feeding, I notice quite a bit of what looked like, i don't know,dirt, lots of poop. anyway, upon looking closer, i found quite few egg sacks and some loose eggs, in different stages of development.
    This is a first for me and not sure what i need to do!. they are in with all the fbt's. Do i need to remove as many as i can? Leave them? Help me please. What do I need to be doing, Or nothing at all

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Just found Egg sacks in my tank! need some advice

By chance is there a picture of the eggs?

Evil Papa Smurf

Yea I load them from phone to computer but it wont upload them. says they are not a valid pic? I don't know. I'll try from the phone

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thanks. I know theyve been having problems with the pictures. I have to host all mine through photobucket.

Weve had our 10 firebellies for a while now. Love the little guys(our first frogs). Breeding is something we arent ready for yet. We invest our info to proper keeping, sexing, and health first. Ive been studying on how to raise the tads(stupid easy).But there are many pictures out thee of firebelly eggs and no 2 are the same. Yield/size is never the same. Its enough to make me insane. Do they look like see through/transparent poops kind of by chance?

Evil Papa Smurf

They look like a whitish transparent gel with TINY dots inside. She laid most up against the bottom side of a larger rock,and one group against/around a stem from the terrarium moss in the viv. I guess one of them brought it in the water with them while hunting crickets.
    My main concern , Do I need to remove the eggs from the general public tank? Will the rest eat the tads when the hatch? If you've had your fbt for any length of time, you know they have an AWESOME appetite. they eat anything that will fit in they mouth. My son brought home some large crickets,instead of smalls, and they had to work at them, but they ate them with no problems. Before the eggs showed up, my wife and I were talking about putting small feeder guppies in the tank. Three of the four are big enough the eat them. Just as a variety of foods for them.
    All the reading material I have found says the eggs will hatch in about a week, so Im kinda running out of time if they need to be removed. Also, We have noticed that the female is staying at the rock where the eggs were laid. either protection, or water circulation, Dont know.

Evil Papa Smurf

Okay, so I was reading on another forum, I removed the eggs from the rest of the FBT's and put them in a separate small aquarium with a couple of inches of distilled RO water. I'm assuming this makes it much to care for them as they hatch and morph. I cant say it is a lot easier to see them wehn they start moving in a couple days. I am also going to the local aquarium shop and pick up some algae wafers for feeding the tad before they start developing their legs.

Thread Information