Thread: Heating

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Heating

I'm thinking about getting pacman frog. I have a 5.5 gallon tank for him/her. I was wondering if I could use a 10-20 gallon under tank heater on the side. I don't want to buy a smaller under tank heater and then not use it when the pacman outgrows the tank. The room temperature is around 70 degrees.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heating

Heat pad might not heat properly 5.5g tank, but you can sure try. Or get infrared lamp or ceramic heat emitter and use one of these on controllers.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I put the UTH on, the temperature is still rising.
    What do you think would heat the tank better?wh
    What wattage should the bulb be? Would the bulb dry out the tank?

Here's the tank. It has 2 inches of Eco Earth.
    I'm using a UVB bulb to light the tank.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Looks beautiful! He'll love it!
    You don't need uvb and if you are to get albino you won't be able to use it, just get a regular energy saving lamp, 13w would work perfectly.

yes. Infrared lamp would suck humidity out, you will need to cover partially the top to see what works, but it would heat tank better then UTH. 50w on a dimmer or even better - controller.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Are you sure that's not a 10 gallon? It kind of looks like it, and if it is cold were you are that UTH might not cut it for you so you may need a light which produces heat or ceramic heat emitter. IMO those analog gauges are not great at all, you may want to buy some digital gauges. I find sometimes when it come to these UTH's when they are on the side you want to go the next size up, I have 30-40 and a 10-20 UTH on mine and Its only a 10 and it can reach 84 tops on good day. But it is cold were I am, in the summer I wont have to use both. One more thing this is totally your decision but I would get a softer plant then that green long one you have because I bought the same and the plastic is very hard and its a good way for him to hurt an eye or even get a scratch or cut on his belly. I don't use mine but maybe even if you hang so he could just sit under it would be safer. Good luck when you do end up getting a frog.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Good catch! Yes, analog ones are garbage, Walmart 6-7$ hydro/temp homecombos are great! Or you can get reptile specific for 3-4-5 times more

Nationality
    [Canada]

The stuff about lights and CHE you can disregard I wasn't trying to tell you the exact samething lija just did. We must have been typing at the same time and she beat me to it. L.O.L

Nationality
    [United States]

Just out of curiosity- Why can't an albino have UVB lighting?
    It's definitely a 5.5 gallon. I'm going to look for a digital gauge at walmart.

Which bulb do you recommend? I looked at infrared bulbs on Petco's website and most reviews said that the bulbs burn out fast.
    I'll cover the third side with black construction paper when I take off the UTH. The UTH only brings the temperature up a few degrees.

I have a lamp with a dimmer, but the dimmer doesn't work. It used to turn the bulb off and on, but now it doesn't do anything. Is there any way I can fix it? I really don't want to buy another lamp.

How do I hang the plant? The suction cup doesn't stick anymore. I usually use tape to hang up plants in my hermit crab tank, but they can't choke on the tape when it falls.

I'll be getting the frog on the 28th at a reptile expo.
    Last edited by Laylicorn; March 4th, 2015 at 09:28 AM.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya the UTh's aren't the best way to heat a terrarium for frogs, and as I stated earlier you almost always have to go up a size from what your tank actually is. Even with the 2 UTH's on my ten I had to build a box around the 3 sides to keep the heat in. Do you have any of the screen top covered? If not you can cover the top with tinfoil and cut a hole out of it about 1/2 an inch to an inch bigger then your light and it will help keep heat and humidity in. The area cut out around the light will allow air to flow in and out of the tank. Uvb can hurt them because being albino there skin is so much more sensitive that it can almost burn there skin or eyes. Its the same as if you see an albino kid in the summer outside playing, he will be caked in sunblock or will be the only kid wearing pants and long sleeve top because he sunburns almost instantly. Would be the same for the albino frog.
    And if you go to a dollar store you can find suction cups with hooks and you can just hang the plant off the hook.
    Last edited by monster; March 4th, 2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: more info

Nationality
    [United States]

I covered half of the lid. It brought the temperature up to 90 degrees with the 60 watt sun glo daylight bulb..
    I'm not going to keep the UVB on the tank because there isn't room with the tinfoil.

Here's everything I'm getting. Please tell me if this sounds right.

50 watt Reptile Terrarium Lighting: Zoo Med Nocturnal Infrared Heat Lamps at Drs. Foster and Smith
    Exo Terra Hanging Rainforest Ficus Plants: Reptile Terrarium Decor from Doctors Foster and Smith
    10" Curved tip Aquatic Reptile Terrarium & Turtle Tank Care: Aquatic Forceps at Drs. Foster and Smith
    Reptile Vitamins & Supplements: Exo Terra Multi Vitamin Powder Supplement for Reptiles

I'll be feeding dubia roaches and nightcrawlers every other day. Calcium every other feeding day. Multi Vitamin once a week.
    I'll feed after the lights are off. I'm getting a digital temperature/humidity gauge. I'll raise the sharp plant with suction cups.
    Temperature: 80-83 Humidity: 70-80%
    Change the eco earth every month.

Nationality
    [United States]

What kind of dome will work for the bulb? I'm going to get one with a dimmer, but i don't know what size
    Last edited by Laylicorn; March 5th, 2015 at 09:57 AM.

Thread Information