Thread: new albino sunburst plz help

dustyn134

Default new albino sunburst plz help

i just received a baby albino sun burst about 5 days ago he wont eat or even move towards his food he kind of acts like he is blind. his temp is 83 in the day and around 75-76 at night and i use infrared light and coco fiber as sub straight his humidity is at 64% is it possible for him to go blind in just half a day because of a normal house bulb i believe the pet-store i purchased it had him under a regular house bulb till i came to pic him up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new albino sunburst plz help

Hi, lets figure that out.

Pics are needed, please post pic of the guy, his enclosure, his face, focus on eyes.

As well please answer all of the questions that you haven't yet.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

dustyn134

1. Size of enclosure- 12x12 exo terra
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences- i have a tiger salamander 12inch but is on other side of room
    3. Humidity 65%
    4. Temperature 82 atm
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - all spring water
    6. Materials used for substrate - coconut fiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. 1 fake plant for him to hide under
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source - crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) used calcium on my circkets havent got to vitamins yet
    10. Lighting- none atm will be getting infrared light with dimmer tommorow
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure- small heating pad till i can get infrared lighting but my room is rather toasty 72 degree
    12. When is the last time he/she ate- i havent seen the little thing eat since i got him last thursday
    13. Have you found poop lately- not sure what it looks like for a frog of his size
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog not sure
    17. How long have you owned him/her around 6 days
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - i belive captive
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled - as little as possible
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - very low
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) i havent really cleaned out the cage yet but i will use spring water for water changed and warm water with no bleach or soap to clean cage and i will post a pic as soon as i find out how to

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, ok, all good, except humidity, you need 70-80.
    spring water is ok, but I suggest you use prime or any other water conditioner for it anyway.

pics are really needed.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

dustyn134

i try to upload it and it says its not a valid image file

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, frog forum is having problems with it lately. Can you try photobucket or similar?

dustyn134

dustyn134

Nationality
    [Canada]

Looks normal, pc of the eyes is not clear, but babies dont usually get blind because of environment, as it takes some time.

would you please also post pic of your enclosure

dustyn134

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ok.

It is very very dry, you need to flood your substrate and keep humidity at no lower then 70 at all the times. The substrate has to be wet, but not mud like.

You need to do a rehydration therapy for your frog. Do a water bath, water level no higher then frogs chin. Keep him in there for 20 min. It would be beneficial if you add unflavoured pedyalite ( 10 parts of water, 1 part pedyalite).
    Do that for 2-3 days.

decor - you need to cover 3 sides of your enclosure with something not see through. You should also put some plant to create a hide of sorts, something he can hide under, i found these hanging plants are awesome if you put low in on a ground.

please update on how is going. Also try tong feed, get a small piece of nightcrawler and rub very gently his lips, most would get annoyed and bite the worm, or at least open the mouth so you can put it in. Try, but first do the adjustments and leave the guy alone for a day. Say you fix everything today, try to feed tomorrow about half an hour after its dark.

dustyn134

the front is dry but the back is wet not mud like but very moist it may look dry from the the pic

dustyn134

and the decor i have a little plant in there for him to go under and his cage sets in the corner of a wall so he can only see out the one side and the door way is to big for him to look over so it leave 1 side showing only

dustyn134

ok so i added a better plant and got the temp at 78 and the hummity is at 80 i went out and bought a zoomed thermometer humidity guage i was wondering if those are accurate but for now he still isnt eating i soaked him in warm spring water for 20m and i completey changed the cage i soak the coco fiber then rang out the water just to were it was very moist bud no puddles and the pet store said he should be fine now that everything is corrected and to just offer him food around night time tomorow night and so on till he eats and he will be fine but will post his status

Nationality
    [Canada]

You need temp 80-82 day, 76-78 night.
    I suggest you leave him be today, and feed tomorrow after lights are off.. Today he had too much excitement, new environment, you soaking him, handling. Get him to get used to his home and try to feed tomorrow. Do you know if he ate at the store? Although they would probably said he did even if he wasnt.

Yes please update how it'll go.

I should also also mention that some frogs have kinda late reaction, my boy is like that, when he was a baby he didn't catch any crickets that I know about, it is like he would go for them a bit too late, tong feeding was a solution. Now he prefers to sit with open mouth and wait for food to be put in.... Very funny to watch. He is just over 6" monster lol talking of which i should do a pic update...
    Anyhow hope it's gonna be ok for you.

Thread Information