Thread: Gray tree frog tadpoles

Franzy22

Default Gray tree frog tadpoles

i will be getting a new tank but not until the tadpoles im getting from a pond are mature but i have watched a couple of videos on youtube but the are not that good i want a care sheet on how to set up tadpoles tank and everything i need to know about the tadpoles and baby frogs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Gray tree frog tadpoles

Hello. Last summer I raised nearly 60 rescued Gray tadpoles, and raised the froglets up to a decent size before releasing them. I released 52, and have kept 6 as pets. Apart from one casualty of a siphoning accident, I did not lose a single tadpole or froglet.

I will be happy to post detailed information tomorrow on how I set everything up and raised the tadpoles and froglets. I'm not saying that I did it the "right" way (everybody has their own techniques) but it did work out very effectively for me.

I'll even show you my Youtube videos, though I'm sure they're no more informative than the other ones you've seen.

0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

4. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Franzy22

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    Hello. Last summer I raised nearly 60 rescued Gray tadpoles, and raised the froglets up to a decent size before releasing them. I released 52, and have kept 6 as pets. Apart from one casualty of a siphoning accident, I did not lose a single tadpole or froglet.

I will be happy to post detailed information tomorrow on how I set everything up and raised the tadpoles and froglets. I'm not saying that I did it the "right" way (everybody has their own techniques) but it did work out very effectively for me.

I'll even show you my Youtube videos, though I'm sure they're no more informative than the other ones you've seen.

thank you so u will be posting a video tomarrow

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Crunchy, these are awesome! Maybe we need to push for a sticky on tad rearing

How soon do the tadpoles start to develop their frog coloring?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

7. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

my Brown tadpole turned green as soon as he got all 4 feet and his tail was mostly resorbed. He stayed green for only a few weeks. now he is almost 7 months old and stays Grey and tan most of the time. So does the other one.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

9. This member thanks ColleenT for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Funny how they can change so much
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Been sort of busy.

I have more vids, but none that are particularly interesting or relevant to the issue of raising tadpoles. I can post details about what I did, along with some mistakes I made, and how you can avoid them.

How many tads do you think you will be keeping? I had mine in two 10 gallon tanks, so about 30 to a tank. I kept the tanks just under halfway full, each with a small filter running. This is what my setup looked like.

Name:  DSC00535.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  109.7 KB

My tadpoles would start to turn green shortly before popping their front legs. Name:  20140628_222018.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  99.0 KB

I don't know if it was their diet, but many of my young frogs retained a brilliant green color for a few months after morphing. The six that I kept eventually completely lost the green, and stayed completely gray all the time. At some point I decided to experiment with adding a color enhancer, Repashy's Superpig, to their dusting regimen. I also started feeding their leftover tadpole food, Elive Algae Wafers, to the crickets. Eventually the frogs started getting much of their green color back. I have at least a couple that pretty regularly have some pretty brilliant green coloration. I can post some pics of them later.

I'll post some info on my tadpole feeding regime later, hopefully tonight.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

12. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Loving this and looking forward to more info... You should do a care sheet for tad raising to be posted here on FF!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

14. This member thanks irThumper for this post:

Franzy22

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to get back. Been sort of busy.

I have more vids, but none that are particularly interesting or relevant to the issue of raising tadpoles. I can post details about what I did, along with some mistakes I made, and how you can avoid them.

How many tads do you think you will be keeping? I had mine in two 10 gallon tanks, so about 30 to a tank. I kept the tanks just under halfway full, each with a small filter running. This is what my setup looked like.

Name:  DSC00535.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  109.7 KB

My tadpoles would start to turn green shortly before popping their front legs. Name:  20140628_222018.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  99.0 KB

I don't know if it was their diet, but many of my young frogs retained a brilliant green color for a few months after morphing. The six that I kept eventually completely lost the green, and stayed completely gray all the time. At some point I decided to experiment with adding a color enhancer, Repashy's Superpig, to their dusting regimen. I also started feeding their leftover tadpole food, Elive Algae Wafers, to the crickets. Eventually the frogs started getting much of their green color back. I have at least a couple that pretty regularly have some pretty brilliant green coloration. I can post some pics of them later.

I'll post some info on my tadpole feeding regime later, hopefully tonight.
    i am putting two tadpoles in a ten gallon

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah that real estate won't be over crowded
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Franzy22

Why do people get so many tadpoles to they keep them all let them go or breed them how long can u have them to let them go

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Franzy22 View Post
    Why do people get so many tadpoles to they keep them all let them go or breed them how long can u have them to let them go
    Well, to reiterate, Crunchy said he rescued his tads... if I remember right from previous posts about them, I think the area where they were was drying up (??) so he brought them the 60 that were there in and raised them up until they morphed into froglets, then he released all but 6, which he kept for pets, as he's already mentioned.

I think you need to release them fairly soon after they have absorbed their tails and are able to eat small insects. You want them to keep their instincts to hunt in the wild and not start relying on humans for their food.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Grey Tree Frogs often lay their eggs in swimming pool covers. No one wants to kill the tadpoles, so they raise them to release them.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Well, to reiterate, Crunchy said he rescued his tads... if I remember right from previous posts about them, I think the area where they were was drying up (??) so he brought them the 60 that were there in and raised them up until they morphed into froglets, then he released all but 6, which he kept for pets, as he's already mentioned.

I think you need to release them fairly soon after they have absorbed their tails and are able to eat small insects. You want them to keep their instincts to hunt in the wild and not start relying on humans for their food.
    Crunchy is a she, at least I'm pretty sure.

My tadpoles were rescued tadpoles. They were originally from someone's free standing swimming pool that was in the process of being drained and dismantled. I rescued as many of those as I could, probably several hundred of them, and released them into our backyard pond. Unfortunately, it turned out that the pond had become overrun with tiny but very aggressive leeches. I didn't realize how bad the problem was at first, and thought that at least a percentage of them could survive, despite the predation, and they would still be better off than they would have been as lawn fertilizer.

Over the following several days, I watched the population density of the tadpoles decline dramatically, saw many tadpoles being attacked by leeches, and became more aware of just how severely overrun the pond was.

I finally realized that they couldn't survive in the pond, and decided to salvage what I could. I actually had to pull leeches off the faces of several tadpoles, and surprisingly, all but a couple of them survived the operation. Even the healthy, vigorous looking tads showed signs of leech bites, mostly in the form of reddened areas around their noses, and leech bitten areas on their tails. One of the smallest tads actually had an eye sucked out, which I didn't notice for a couple of weeks. This is why I now have a one eyed frog.

I ultimately ended up with 59 healthy tads, but lost one of them to a siphoning accident. I would recommend using a turkey baster for cleaning and water changes, rather than a siphon.

I actually decided not to release them very early, as I believe the vast majority of newly morphed froglets end up getting eaten. I released mine after a few weeks, when they were bigger and stronger, seemed more aware of their surroundings, and were able to take larger prey items.

To the original poster, I would probably go with more than 2, like maybe 5 or 6. As a novice, you can probably anticipate some losses. Any frogs that you end up with, in excess of what you want, can be released. I would also go with a smaller tank, like maybe a 5 gallon, for easier maintenance and keeping better track of your tads. That is still a very low population density, and with a filter and some live plants, you shouldn't have to do alot of cleaning or frequent water changes.

And yes, I believe that the vast majority of people who raise large numbers of tads are dealing with rescues.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor

21. This member thanks Crunchy Frog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Leeches! Gross!!! Wow, that's even more dramatic of a rescue than a drying up puddle! Good job, and glad your little one-eye froggy made it ^_^ So we're going with Crunchy the Frog likely being a girl, but is Crunchy the Frogger a guy or a girl?

irThumper (moi) is a girl by the way, lol!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information