Thread: FBT and PDF?

Tylerman

Default FBT and PDF?

Hello,

Can fire bellied toads and poison dart frogs be kept together? What is the tank size to host 4 FBT and 2-4 PDF? I see on the internet that the temp range isn't that far off and humidity for both is around 70-80 (somewhat below 70 for FBT, but I think it's not that bad). And will the FBT's eat the PDF's? Thanks for all the help. Also what plants are favorites, land or water, for both species?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: FBT and PDF?

Keeping different types of frogs in the same tank is generally not recommended. They should have two separate enclosures.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya you should never keep 2 different species together, and really not with these kinds of frogs. I don't know a lot about PDF'S and I know a lot of them get there toxins from what they eat in wild but some may still carry some form of it without. Hopefully someone that knows more about them can confirm that for me if they see this. I know the part about what they eat in the wild is accurate just dont know if they carry any toxins naturally. Now the FBT's on the other hand do produce there own toxins and I really don't imagine the PDF's soaking in the same water is going to be good at all. And if the PDF's do have it in them naturally the 2 will mix in the water and then your going to have recipe for disaster for your frogs. But with that said you really shouldn't mix anyway, its really frowned upon.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree on not housing two species together. Fire bellied toads are from Asia and PDF's are from South America. They would never see each other and this never before seen animal in the tank will stress them out. The fire bellied toads toxins do not go away in captivity and the dart frog will quickly perish from someone else's poison. Furthermore, the toads eat crickets and the pdf's fruit flies. What if the toads eat up all the fruit flies leaving no food for the darts or worse if the darts go after a cricket and choke. The safe way to go is to leave species alone in their own enclosure.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Tylerman

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure. Hey, my FBT laid eggs, what should I do? They're in a tupperware container until they turn into fry. But how do I care for them? By the way, thanks so much for all the help. I appreciate it ��

Tylerman

Here's a picture of the eggs
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information