Thread: What every whites tree frog owner should know

Frogger00

Default What every whites tree frog owner should know

Going off of experience, i thought I'd make a bit of a list on things I learned very quickly. Hopefully this will save others the panic and shock!

1) they shed their skin. What's more strange, is that they eat it. This can happen anywhere from a few times a week to once every few weeks. So if you happen to look in and see your frog in a hunched over position and continually opening its mouth, don't worry! If you want to help, misting the cage to bump humidity can make it easier. They often shed in the water dish anyways.

2) whites tree frogs jump. It may sound silly that I say this considering that they are frogs, but one of the most common misinformation is that these frogs are slow, lazy, and basically just sit there. This is not the case! If you take your frog out for a bit of one on one, it's most likely going to want to explore. Some seem to like certain colors, one of my guys loves pink and red. How does he get to those neat, bright colors? Jumping of course. Or should I say launching off of your hand at a very quick and unexpected manner?

3) These frogs are much smarter then you may think. Often you will be able to get them on a schedule for feeding, and nighttime. What I mean by this is that, if you turn out the light at the same time every night they will learn that this is when the lights go out. How do I know this? Experience mostly. I've done a bit of googling on the subject, but not much was found. When I turn out the light for my frogs (7:30) they almost instantly start their nightly routine of jumping chaotically around the tank.

4) you are going to need a big water dish. Lots of people buy a smaller dish( I know I did!) but once you see your frog completely spread out and relaxed in the pool, you will see what I mean!

5) they change color a lot. Not just color, sometimes they get spots, patches or decide that they want their head to be brown and their butt to be green. It's really common in maturing frogs.

6) if you are doing something wrong, you will know. You are going to get to know your frog and his/her routines. If your frog basks on their favorite branch every morning, and you happen to find your frog buried in the dirt, something is wrong! I've found humidity and temperature changes are the biggest triggers for odd behavior.

7) if you tong feed, you will most likely get bit. It doesn't hurt, but you will get frog slime all over your finger. Why do they do this? Food of course. Now I know I said these frogs are smart, but not that smart! My one frog bites anything and everything that moves, including my tablet screen! ( apparently they can't tell the difference between 2d and 3d.) so if your frog launches at your face and latches onto your bottom lip, try not to be surprised.

8) ever feel like your frog is watching you? I feel that too. I've tested this theory by moving my head side to side as my frog stares at me. Guess what? His head turned with mine! One of my frogs loves to watch my family eat dinner.

9) these guys are loaded with personality. My biggest guy is a bit dumb. He tries to eat everything, and sits on his food. He gets into positions he can't get out of, and occasionally looks up at me and croaks. My other guy is a bit more thoughtful before taking action. If he accidentally sits on his food, he kicks the crickets out from under him with his back legs and continues to eat them. Take some time to observe your frogs individual personality.

I hope you guys enjoy this list, feel free to add on if I'm missing anything!( I probably am)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. This member thanks Frogger00 for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What every whites tree frog owner should know

Frogs have different temperaments. Online sites say that White's are "friendly" but some are naturally very shy.

It's best to keep temp and humidity well within ideal ranges but a little outside isn't going to hurt the frogs as long as it doesn't last too long.

Despite #6, occasionally seeing a frog sitting on the ground isn't too big a deal. White's aren't like red-eyes that spend their entire lives in the tree canopy. If the frog's buried in dirt there may be a temp or humidity problem though.

Frogger00

Default What every whites tree frog owner should know

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Frogs have different temperaments. Online sites say that White's are "friendly" but some are naturally very shy.

It's best to keep temp and humidity well within ideal ranges but a little outside isn't going to hurt the frogs as long as it doesn't last too long.

Despite #6, occasionally seeing a frog sitting on the ground isn't too big a deal. White's aren't like red-eyes that spend their entire lives in the tree canopy. If the frog's buried in dirt there may be a temp or humidity problem though.
    Good point! One of mine is pretty shy and jumpy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: What every whites tree frog owner should know

i must agree. odd behavior is, normal. in the years i kept white's, they did some of the oddest things. i just always considered that part of their charm. white's also aren't really affected by temp and humidity swings. they have a much wider range of care than most people think.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri