Thread: Is this bulb ok to use with albino

Nationality
    [Canada]

Question Is this bulb ok to use with albino

I have been using this with a UTH for my heat source with my baby albino pacman frog. But I was just reading a old post about heat and lights and now im not sure if I can use this. He also gets the light from the room and that shines in pretty good. At night I just dim it, and those green dots on the side of the box says it gives no uv rays. its the first set on of circles on the top and none are green. Is this ok? and is alright to have abit of light at night, if not I need something else because that's my main heat source. The box says it simulates the moonlight, stimulates nocturnal activity. Do I need a new bulb? It kind of gives off a purple colour, and it has 3 green circles infrared.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is this bulb ok to use with albino

Hm... I'm not 100% sure but I think it should be okay as long as there's no UV. I'd say try it, but keep an eye on the frog for any weird behaviors. I think they see blue light better than red (which I believe is why you only see the blue night-lamps really advertised for lizards that need it really warm at night) so she may or may not like having the light on at night.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]

I got him sunday he ate 2 pieces of worm for me and he was full, hes pretty small. The second night he went and chilled in his water for about an hour didn't eat then went and plopped his but under a plant right under the lamp, the plant has nice leaves so the heat and light don't beat right on him while hes there. He ate 2 small wax worms last night but still hasn't moved from that spot and today he completely buried himself. So everything seems ok to me I will wait and see what he does tonight. I just don't want to be hurting the poor little guy but I need the extra heat from the lamp because hes in the basement because that's the most low traffic area. And its not all that bright when dimmed and I just looked at this box again for 100th time and it says nothing about uv. Maybe if your not sure Lija or someone will hopefully see this. Oh man, what to do when you live a shoe? L.O.L I just ran downstairs to take a picture of the tank in the day to show how much of the blue light shines during this period, I turned the flash off so you can actually see it. I tried to do a night time one when its dimmed but its pointless because you cant see anything. This may sound like a basic question but why is it purple to my eye but blue in the picture? what color is my frog seeing? And if this bulb ends up not being good for him can someone recommend one that can stay on at night when hooked to a dimmer? I dont know why this picture looks black and white but thats how much of the heat bulb shines in.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by monster; January 7th, 2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add a picture

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have a 50 watt night time incandescent bulb. do you think that would be better. And again if someone can tell me the proper bulb I should be using please feel free. It just has to stay on at night.

Nationality
    [United States]

I want to say it's fine, but hopefully someone with more bulb experience will see this. I keep all mine in one room, so I just use a space heater to keep ambient temp up. Only bulb I use is to give my turtle a warm spot at night (and honestly so I can see when I go in there after lights-out).
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

vampyregirl

I use that same bulb at night for my pacman frog and its always worked well. Only thing for me is some mornings when I switch to the daytime bulb the dirt is very dry in the morning. But other than that it keeps the heat at perfect temp for me. It is also a purplish color for me, but very dim.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Im in the process of cleaning out a room for a frog room for that same purpose. And I know it sounds silly asking these questions but I have never used lights on pacmans. I use UTH's on lillypad. This is the bulb I was told to purchase when I first got lillypad just never used it. Do you know if incandescent bulbs hurt there eyes? Because the incandescent one I forgot I had I put in for him and it actually made it abit warmer, with the other one I was bouncing in between 82 and 83f and this one hit 84 and stayed there. and again she is a baby, like half the size of your thumb so that's awesome it hit that temp. Its also not even as close to being as bright as the other one, you can barely see it on full and I just dimmed to it 80f for the night and you cant even see in. Its black in there, you cant see nothing when the basement lights off, even full when the light is off u cant really see in. And I hopeing the incandescent is ok because ten minutes after I put it in he is out and about in his terrarium.

Nationality
    [Canada]

HI, so im done with bulbs they dry everything up so fast and this is not good for Groot. So I went and picked up another 10-20 gallonUTH to put on the back in the same corner as the one I have on there now, so there will be one on side and one the back in the same end. This may sound ridiculous but if there is a UTH on the back and that is were my thermometer is, is that going to read the temp from the glass or the air. I guess my question is for the people that have done this were do you place you thermometer to get the most accurate reading. The bulb has to go because I went down this morning and my humidity was only 65%.

Nationality
    [Canada]

So I put the 2nd UTH on and still only getting 78 on the warm and my thermometer is stuck to a plant right in the middle of the warm end. What am I doing wrong, I even tried the same thing I did with my other tank to get 83f and its not working. I even had to put the light back on this morning to get the heat up. But now the lamp is on a stand so its not sitting right ontop of the tank. The day before I brought the frog home the temp was 82 and now that I put in the frog and a couple more plants everything is out of wack. I have 2 10-20 UTHs on the one end and its only a 10 gallon tank.

Nationality
    [Canada]

So I don't know what I did for my temp to go off so much but I fixed my problem. I bought a 30 gallon UTH and put on the back in the same end as the 10-20 UTH and im now at 84f. I got the big one on a dimmer for night time. I will get some pictures of the little guy tonight.

Thread Information