Thread: African Dwarf Frog Badly Injured her Leg and Foot

starlitsunrise

Default African Dwarf Frog Badly Injured her Leg and Foot

Hello, I just joined this forum because my african dwarf frog Ginger really hurt herself. I was out of my house for 2 days and came home to find my frog with a really badly injured foot. I don't know what to do to help her, or if there is even anything I can do.

Tank Info:

Tank size: 10 Gallon, split in half.
    pH: 7.6
    ammonia: 0ppm
    nitrite: 0ppm
    nitrate: 10ishppm
    tank temp:78F
    Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% water change, usually every week or two weeks.
    Tank inhabitants: betta on other side or divider

Symptoms: Foot is very badly injured, looks red and appears to be missing a toe. Has fungas looking substance on foot and leg. One toe on other foot also looks red. She also just shed, don't know if it is related.

Name:  ginger injured foot.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  72.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: African Dwarf Frog Badly Injured her Leg and Foot

Now I am no expert but here are my thoughts. I'm guessing that when he started shedding, the shredded skin got caught on something and he tried to escape. But the skin on the foot wasn't ready to come off, but your frog kept trying to escape and then it pulled some of his toes off. From the picture, it seems he has 2(?) of his toes still. Is there anything sharp in the tank? Id just keep a look out to see if it's infected. I'm not sure how to help it though. Sorry! If there is anything remotely sharp in the tank, remove it immediately!

4. This member thanks Edgar The Pacman for this post:

starlitsunrise

That makes sense, I have a feeling you may be right. Pulling off the unready skin could also have caused her feet to look so red as well. She can be really skittish at times so I can see her doing that if she got caught. There is nothing sharp in the tank from what I can see, the only thing I could think of is I have some moss attached to a rock with some plastic mesh, perhaps her toe got caught in there? Normally the mesh is covered by sand but she dug into the sand a bit and exposed the mesh. I think that she has 3 if not 4 of her toes still in tact, but the bottom 2 seem to be the least hurt.

Now that I have calmed down I am setting up my spare 2.5 gallon tank and am going to put her in there (with a heater and air stone) for a few days until the fungus has gone away. I have some pimafix that i have read is safe to use on african dwarf frogs but not for bettas, so im going to try that in the separate tank.

Thanks for your thoughts.

starlitsunrise

I just wanted to update this to say that some how she managed to escape the hospital tank last night and by the time she was found this morning she had already passed away.

Nationality
    [United States]

sorry to hear i had a frog escape over the summer and end up dying to.

Sorry to hear that!

Thread Information