Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Grey tree frog tadpole momma (41 babies)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New Grey tree frog tadpole momma (41 babies)

Hello Amy, I'm sorry but I've read and researched for 4 weeks straight about these Grey juveniles. They ABSOLUTELY need UVB light rays to make vitamin D-3 in order to absorb calcium or they will die of bone loss. Also you are wrong about UVA light rays in which it is proven scientifically to stimulate their appetites and their overall well being. The moonlite bulb is great because research shows it gives off a small amount of heat and UVA rays too. You do not need an intense heat bulb, however they do love it, because they move and gravitate to the lights when I turn them on in the AM and PM night bulb. Plus it is cool to be able to observe them hunt at night with the Moonlite bulb. I've observed without the lights, that the 67 degree temp is too cool at night and they do not move as much and tend to hunker down more to conserve energy. I'm simulating a temperate climate for them all winter long into springtime. When I'm sure there sill be no more freak frosts temps they will be set free by my backyard pond setup just like the zoo Dr. said he did with his over wintered brood of baby Greys. I am mostly going on a post on this forum recently done by a retired zoo herpetologist, whom has raised Greys indoors and out in backyard ponds. I'm sorry I can't remember his name right now. Look up his post and you will read that you CANNOT release newly morphed or the fully morphed baby frogs because the do not have enough fat stores to make it through winter hibernation , esp in the brutal WI winters we have !!! Hope this gets you to look up more in-depth research on this amazing species of arboreal north american frog. Believe me I've done intense research and still am!!! I have TWO Biological Science degrees and trust me I know how to study and research things in-depth. I love these frogs and am thrilled at how well they are thriving!!! Thanks for you input! Frog Momma out….

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
    Hello Amy, I'm sorry but I've read and researched for 4 weeks straight about these Grey juveniles. They ABSOLUTELY need UVB light rays to make vitamin D-3 in order to absorb calcium or they will die of bone loss. Also you are wrong about UVA light rays in which it is proven scientifically to stimulate their appetites and their overall well being...
    Could you please provide your sources for these statements? I'd be interesting in reading the studies you've found. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

What is a tesla intern??? Thankyou for the roaches info. So much to know!!! QUESTION OH BUG MASTER!!! How do I separate out the babys from the adults w/out the roaches getting all over my kitchen??? That's where my frog setup has to be in my farmhouse so I can constantly take care of them easiest. So Scott have any of your verified species (Blatta Lateralis) ever gotten out!! Do they die in the house or do the set up shop under the fridge and breed??? If you positive they cannot survive in a north american home I guess I'll check them out. Got any links for me to learn how to breed ,feed,and house them. Sure could use your expertise oh Bug Master…. Thanks Frog Mamma. PS. Won't the adults, too big to eat size roaches eat my frog!!! They are as big as my little fingernail you know!! How do I get them out of my terrarium to put them back in their bug colony??? Maybe you could call me?? I'm better at communicating on the old fashioned telephone… Get results quicker!!! Don't worry I'm not a stalker!!! (###-###-####) I get lost on a forum like this as far as navigating a website goes..I'm horrible at tech nerd stuff. But I'm trying, Hey I got this out to you at least…. Tesla was a famous scientist…???
    Last edited by DigitalPunk; November 6th, 2014 at 03:16 PM.

I would like to see the links to, I personally disagree with most of what you just stated. If you would probe me wrong that would be great

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow, it's great to know that 4 weeks of research and 2 biological science degrees negate 4+ years of experience and research. I'm not saying that 4 years is tons of experience, but I have definitely learned a lot in this ever evolving hobby when it comes to my greys. Obviously you're going to do whatever you want and ignore any questions and advice that I put out there for you in order to help you, so I guess I'll step away and let you figure it out yourself.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Algae is fine but they need a protein source because frog tadpoles of all species are omnivorous, not to mention canibolistic opportunists!!! Tetra fish flakes are recommended as well as actual tadpole nuggets. I use both. I've been experimenting with putting my full spectrum light over the aquarium couple hours a day now for a week with my 35 remaining varied sized tads. I've seen the become more active and grow quicker into the final front legs emergence phase of morphing. Then of course they are going into resorbing phase and become static (still) and must be removed to a shallow water dish inside a terrarium where in a week or so they can crawl out at their time. I put sphagnum moss and leaf litter in so the can hide and have stuff to rest on as their lungs develop more fully. Of course fresh water daily. I use a turkey baster to remove old water first so as to not disturb them. If you spook them they will jump out and still they survive hiding in the live mosses ,live plant clippings,and oak leaf litter I have on the floor of my terrarium. Make sure you mist the whole terrarium good 2x a day. The lighting tends to evaporate water not to mention the moss and plants need the mistings too. About a week later they have emerged as they show themselves as frogletts resorbing their tails. I love seeing all their neat transformations. That way the new front leg morpher dudes are enjoying the nice lighting aspects, proper warmth and ready to acclimate right of the bat. Working out fantastic for my brood of morphing babies. Their not spoiled ? Are they ??? HECK NO Love this beatin a dead horse!! I have two horse so this is hilarious to me!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New Grey tree frog tadpole momma (41 babies)

Hello Betsy!
    Actually, nocturnal species such as grey tree frogs do not need uv exposure. Think about it, during the day the frogs are sleeping under leaves or logs or bark or things of that nature and the sunlight does not hit them. At night when they come out, there is still no light hitting them. They get all of their nutrients from their foods, which is why its important to dust their food with vitamins and calcium. Of course, having a uv light won't hurt, as long as they have plenty of places where they will not have to be exposed to it. I also believe that it would be best to release the froglets now rather than later. They need to learn how to hung on their own. Has this herpetologist collected data on how many frogs survived after he released them in the spring and on how many survived when released in the fall? I would also love to see this doctor's studies

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Besty I edited your post and removed your phone number. You may not be a stalker but posting your phone number online is a good way to meet the creepy people in the world. If you would like to hand it out to someone please use the PM system.

I removed it for your own safety and sanity. Take care

Paul
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry but what is the PM system???? I'm sure He was a frog / bug person just trying to help. Can we send person info via the other post options?? Sorry I'm not very techy at all.

Nationality
    [United States]

There is a way to have a debate without being a total Jerk. Betsy this is your one warning to follow the forum rules and treat other members with respect.

PM = Private Message.

Whoa Betsy, calm down please. Responding to someone who is doubting your information by ranting and raving will get you nowhere you want to be. With your biological science degrees you should know full well the importance of being able to back up your claims with established and credible research. So, you can choose to be an asset to this forum by putting your research skills to good use and sharing the articles/studies you find or you can choose a less constructive option. Your choice!

Sorry but what is the PM system???? I'm sure He was a frog / bug person just trying to help. Can we send person info via the other post options?? Sorry I'm not very techy at all.
    Click a persons name to the left of their post and a menu pops up. One option is "Private Message", or PM for short. This lets you send them a message only they will see, kinda like an email but delivered through the forum software.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes you are partly correct. I read in many resources on captive amphibians specifically Hyla Versacolor (Eastern Grey Tree Frogs ) in captivity do not require AS MUCH UV RAYS because as you said they are in semi shade arboreal environment. HOWEVER you are WRONG they must have SOME UVB rays esp. indoor captivity…. PERIOD. I' m using scientific facts in direct resources regarding CAPTIVE FROGS .. Please look up the death rate prior to the discovery by zookeepers world wide that lack of proper UVB RAYS esp. was killing off exhibits of captive reptiles and AMPHIBIANS. FROGS are AMPHIBIANS!!! DON'T GUESS DO YOU RESEARCH !!!!! In fact it is not advised to give these frogs VIT D3 as a supplement as they do not utilize it unless produced by UVB exposure. When I find that exact resources again, I will put it on a post for all to see!!!!!!. I'm not getting paid to write my thesis paper on public forum. SCIENTIFIC SKEPTICS DRIVE ME NUTS!!!! It was advised to use calcium powder w/out D3 in FACT!!! ALERT!!!! WOULD THE RETIRED BRONX ZOO HERPITOLOGIST PLEASE CHERP IN AND HELP ME WITH ALL THESE SKEPTICS ON VITAMIN D3 IN CAPTIVE AMPHIBIANS…. THANKYOU DR.??? You are on this frog forum somewhere. I just can' figure out how to look up previous posts????????????????

Nationality
    [United States]

I've said it before and I'll say it again: frogs do not need UVB in captivity. There is some observational (not scientific research) data that exposure to low UVB appears to enrich their lives same as live plants, varied food items, proper temperature and humidity cycles, etc. They do need CA/D3 and vitamins! UVB exposure is as far as any research I've come across not a replacement for supplements.

If anyone has access to scientific research that says otherwise; then do provide the reference so we all can learn. All further posts should be a respectful discussion or I'll take whatever measures are needed to prevent a foolish flame war at FF. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

When I find that exact resources again, I will put it on a post for all to see.
    Please do. Your claim of 'scientific facts' should be easy for you to support, and asking you to provide some links is pretty fair.

There's a search feature in the top right of the forum.

In the meantime you should also know that writing in all capital letters is considered shouting on the internet and comes off as rude.

Nationality
    [United States]

THANK YOU UncleChester for that intelligent post!! I'm so busy with my other things in life let alone putting up foot notes on my website searches. I do not sad to say know how to get my links posted into a forum. I've never been on a forum,blog or anything interactive before. I have no kids or friends to teach me proper internet surfing protocol. I shall write down the http addresses from now on. I do WANT TO HELP by sharing . But like I told Amy I'm not getting paid to footnote every finding.. I'm SORRY I get excited when being challenged on something I've personally studied for 10 years in college and now with a nice Macbook Pro I'm in heaven…. The web is amazing. And don't believe everything you read on it either!!! I can't help ranting , I'm a LEO !!! HELLO ! Thanks again for the gentle frog like scolding UVB SPECTRUM OBSESSED Frog Momma….

Hello Amy, I'm sorry but I've read and researched for 4 weeks straight about these Grey juveniles. They ABSOLUTELY need UVB light rays to make vitamin D-3 in order to absorb calcium or they will die of bone loss. Also you are wrong about UVA light rays in which it is proven scientifically to stimulate their appetites and their overall well being. The moonlite bulb is great because research shows it gives off a small amount of heat and UVA rays too. You do not need an intense heat bulb, however they do love it, because they move and gravitate to the lights when I turn them on in the AM and PM night bulb. Plus it is cool to be able to observe them hunt at night with the Moonlite bulb. I've observed without the lights, that the 67 degree temp is too cool at night and they do not move as much and tend to hunker down more to conserve energy. I'm simulating a temperate climate for them all winter long into springtime. When I'm sure there sill be no more freak frosts temps they will be set free by my backyard pond setup just like the zoo Dr. said he did with his over wintered brood of baby Greys. I am mostly going on a post on this forum recently done by a retired zoo herpetologist, whom has raised Greys indoors and out in backyard ponds. I'm sorry I can't remember his name right now. Look up his post and you will read that you CANNOT release newly morphed or the fully morphed baby frogs because the do not have enough fat stores to make it through winter hibernation , esp in the brutal WI winters we have !!! Hope this gets you to look up more in-depth research on this amazing species of arboreal north american frog. Believe me I've done intense research and still am!!! I have TWO Biological Science degrees and trust me I know how to study and research things in-depth. I love these frogs and am thrilled at how well they are thriving!!! Thanks for you input! Frog Momma out….
    is this the post you are referring to?
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...ng-winter.html
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

How to post links.

In the address bar of your browser (since you have a Mac the browser is Safari). Double click in the address bar until all the text is highlighted in blue. Then Press and hold the "command" button and then press "C" come to the forum. Start a replay and when ready Press and hold the "command" button again and then press "V"

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes Dear, I know they are nocturnal. "That's elementary my dear Watson" The Moonlight bulbs only enhances OUR HUMAN viewing pleasures!! With the added side effects ,benefits if you wish for the frogs, of mild UV-A ray exposure (appetite stimulation esp. important for new baby CAPTIVE born frogs) and secondly gentle heat source at night,. when I know for certain that living in a drafty 100 year plus farmhouse is not conducive to providing a stable comfortable temp. again esp. for BABY CAPTIVE BORN frogs. Not saying they cannot survive in lower that 70's. Just that they are more comfortable, therefor more apt to thrive. Period. If these little babies were wild born and or adult wild born captives that would make them all the more hardy. This is only my opinion as someone who has studied a lot on animal behavioral sciences and the like. I certainly do not know everything. YET! Just kidding you moderators of the frog forum. I do not use capital letters to shout, only to accentuate my meaning. I wonder why when the temps drop here even at night in the WI summertime that my local wild adult tree frogs are always under my 96 degree swim spa cover. Prey tell? Could it be possible that they ENJOY the moist heat ??? But of course they do…. "I think they know what their doin" better than any of us humans on this frog website !!! I'm SURE of it!! Thank for you input anyway !!! Frog Momma out….

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you, I'll try . Seems easy for you I'm sure!!! Learn something everyday!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi there ! Frog Momma here This is one research website with Dr. Frank retired Herpatologist Reptiles and Amphibians in Outdoor Pens or Ponds: Preparing for Winter | That Reptile Blog I happen to think Dr.Frank certainly know more than the majority of people here on this frog forum. Why don't you nonbelievers in GREY TREEFROGS and their needs for proper lighting have a go at arguing with Dr. Frank. I would love to hear what he has to say back at you!!! Just a friendly Debate ….. Would be awesome!!! I dare you to see what he thinks…. Just a friendly dare mind you… I 'm so exited to see what he has to say!!! I'll keep looking up more credible resources such as a Real Herpatologist…. Thanks , Hope this helps Grey Tree Frog Lovers like myself. Enjoy the knowledge , Frog Momma out!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information